Reccomend a cooking stove?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jaymzflood

Nomad
Mar 1, 2011
Swansea
Following on from my Jetboil thread (which ive decided to get) Ive been advised to get a 'proper' stove too, which will handle cooking better. Im not looking for something 'WOW' or spending silly money on, just a nice small cheap do-able thing thats gonna cook my grub.

Thanking you

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
After trying dozens - classic pressure stoves, MSR and Primus modern offerings, my preference for zero hassle and everyday convenience is a Trangia with a gas burner fitted. About the same cost all in as a Jetboil full price. Fast, windproof, pots and pans all included, modern gasses OK to quite low temps. Assuming that is that you want something portable. Depleting cylinders are a bit of a pain with gas stoves, but the solution is as one cylinder gets a bit low, keep it for simmering and have another fresher one for fast boil.

You can always get a cheap gas burner that sits on top of a cylinder that will do the job for about £10-15, but you have to shield it from wind, it is relatively inefficient and you have to provide the pots. Depends on budget.

Last edited:

greenwood

Forager
Jan 2, 2012
Wild Wiltshire
you cooking on an open fire? has it got to be light for walking?, are you cooking for yourself and or others?,
I like the Crusader nato cooker i bought the other week, good for i man band, light to carrie(a little buky though) can use meths on it and you can use the silver cooking mug in or on fire approx £40
http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/Crusader_Cooking_System_in_Pouch_/?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=directory&utm_content=GBR&currency=GBP&country=GBR&SelectedBundle=165369&SelectedItem=589144

I also have one of these; http://www.amazon.co.uk/MSR-WhisperLite-International-Multi-fuel-cooker/dp/B000BBS49C MSR WhisperLite International Multi-fuel cooker boils water in about 3 mins

Last edited:

Jaymzflood

Nomad
Mar 1, 2011
Swansea

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
lol yeah, can I put mess tins on them?

I'd have thought so ~ probably not the safest load though :yikes:

With gas my personal preference is to have the cannister remote rather than directly under. There are three principle reasons for this, it means that you can more easily insulate it from the ground(both bits), it has a lower center of gravity and the burner heads tend to be a bit wider than the 'super fast boil but cant simmer for toffee' stoves.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Compact-C...amping_CookingSupplies_ET&hash=item337038d425

Look at the burner and you see a tube going over the top, its for pre heating the gas. As the stove has the pre heater and a hose you can turn the gas can over in cold weather to keep performance up to scratch. The problem with the stoves you listed is they are all fixed above the gas can and performance drops in the cold even with tri mix gas.

PRDL

Nov 10, 2010
blairgowrie
hi all , i have a web tex warrior stove and a msr wisperlight , the msr is not so good for coking on but it can boil water very kwik , the web-tex is a bit flimsy but ok not to bad on gas and will boil water kwik and is light weight . not to expensive compairde to the msr. good luck on the stove hunt , lol

Magicdan

Jan 29, 2012
Camberley
I use an old army issue Hexamine burner with a couple of packets of Hexamine tablets, works every time, it'll never break or fail to work and no bulky gas canisters to lug around!

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
Hello mate

If your planning on using it on your trip to Austria. Make sure it is boxed and un-used when you pack it for your flight as UK customs may tell you it has fuel residue in it and then take it off you .
You defiantly wont be able to pack any fuel.

A small meths burner is normally OK to take through customs if it has been used as long as you have rinsed it though with something like vinegar and its not a bad idea to write that on a bit of paper and elastic band it to the burner
When flying I carry a meths stove and a small wood stove that can be used together or separately, also meths is easy to get and cheap once you have got to your destination.
In Austria or Germany meths is known as spiritus and can be brought from any supermarket. Camping gas can sometimes be a bit harder to get hold of

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE