Reattaching the soles on surplus German army boots?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Silverclaws2

Nomad
Dec 30, 2019
Devon
I just noticed that the soles on my very gently used German army boots from the surplus store have pretty much detached completely! The outer sole itself is fine, as is the leather boot, but the middle bit has gone completely. Does anyone know of something that I can use to reattach the soles?

They only get used for dog walking when the weather is foul and the occasional trip to the woods, so I would have expected years more use out of them. The only marking on them is the word "Bund".
I have a pair of Raichle Mountain Trail GTX with a disintegrating midsole, to regularly glue it all up with two glues ; Stormsure ( formulated for repairing wellies and wet suits) and Klebfest, ( a strong waterproof contact adhesive with a long curing time designed for the shoe repair industry) both available on ebay, the Stormsure of which isn't cheap in the heavy stress areas and Klebfest in the lighter areas.

Loathe to bin the boots as well they are most comfortable boots I have ever had, even GTX lined but the midsole is shot and aside from perhaps twice a year going at 'em with the above mentioned glues I am at a loss with what to do about a rotten midsole. - the tread and upper is however fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: SaraR

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
Ravenstone, Leicestershire
Does anyone remember around 2011 when there was a batch of the old style British army boots that kept falling apart? We had about 5 pairs go within one company over a weekend. There may have been an issue with the glue production around that time that could have affected other manufacturers.

Reactions: SaraR

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
There may have been an issue with the glue production around that time that could have affected other manufacturers.
Or change in adhesive. In many fields isocyanate based hardeners were phased out because of work hygiene reasons. That bad thing is that they were very good and relatively cheap, the replacements not nearly so, cheap yes good no.

Coastal73

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2021
Cawston Okanagan
Received my Swedish M90 Summer marching boots back from the cobbler Vince DeVito shoes in Nelson BC. Steep price to have to pay to salvage these boots but the quality seems to be there in spades
Vibram Cube 130P Cup Sole unit Boots were made back a couple decades and the PU cushioning midsole crumbled away after one short use. Rebuilt and could use a good insole as the Vibram cup seems a little lacking for cushioning. Looks like the boots were factory made with these soles so I am pleased with the results. Cheers!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE