Reattaching the soles on surplus German army boots?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
This is made in a similar build quality by a far smaller italian maker and sold via exclusively one Austrian shop.

That's why it is an extraordinary good offer.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
And this Austrian Army light one is an extremely good offer too.

All three models are sewn in the classical way. Such boots can last 20 years or even a lifetime. And should they need new soles every shoemaker master can easily repair them.

Well informed people prefere such constructions instead of the modern glued stuff.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
These are constructed differently.

The attached tongue goes only as high as the laces are visible in the pictures.

That is high end quality too.

Made in France for the French Army.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Oh dear. I think thats a dead pair of boots. Did you pay much? what size are you?
Not sure how much they were, but I didn't pay much, £45 maybe. Still annoying that they fell apart while the uppers and soles still have lots of use left in them. DH has had several pairs from the same place before and since and they've been fine.

I'm normally a size 7 or so in boots, but these had some weird sizing system. There's some codes in the form of punched out holes on the tongue.

I always struggle to find boots that fit, so I got these so that I didn't need to use my nice hiking boots for messy fieldwork or when walking the dogs on the roads around the village. I might try the shogoo option or I'll just use my hiking boots and see if I can find an identical pair online.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Shoe sizing
German civil / Bundeswehr (BW)
  • Schuhgröße 39: BW-250
  • Schuhgröße 40: BW-255
  • Schuhgröße 40,5: BW-260
  • Schuhgröße 41,5: BW-265
  • Schuhgröße 42: BW-270
  • Schuhgröße 43: BW-275
  • Schuhgröße 43,5: BW-280
  • Schuhgröße 44: BW-285
  • Schuhgröße 45: BW-290
  • Schuhgröße 46: BW-295
  • Schuhgröße 46,5: BW-300
  • Schuhgröße 47: BW-305

Reactions: SaraR

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
If the shoes otherwise would go to the heap I would try some of the other goos available, a one component flexible polyurethane available for biulding or boats are actually quite good adhesives and way cheaper than anything sold as shoe special. The shoes (surfaces to be glued) should be dry and as clean as possible, spread the goo thinly on both surfaces if possible and then pres together rightaway. No great pressure is needed but firmly kept together, wait about 24 hours and take a look, if everything looks ok wait a few more days and start using. The hardening process needs some moisture but that usually exists anyway, too much and the goo foams without gaining the strength. 3M and SIKA are some of the manufacturers I have used mostly with fair success.

Reactions: SaraR

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I think the foam breaks everywhere.
It must be replaced completely somehow.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
@lostplanet

What do you think is wrong with the so called "new" Haix boots for 65 £ if the maker sells them himself for 240 € ?

I guess they are over aged like Sara's old boots. And sold for this low price because they simply belong into the dustbin.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
What do you think is wrong with the so called "new" Haix boots for 65 £ if the maker sells them himself for 240 € ?
Might be that they are an old or superseded model or then you are right that they have just too much calendar age. What is clear that they want to get rid of that inventory.

Reactions: Erbswurst

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Army surplus disposal. Probably cost the MOD 33 pence a pair and someone tried them for a day and didn't fit. QM can't reissue so binned. simples.

Coastal73

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2021
Cawston Okanagan
I have purchased some NOS M90 Swedish Summer boots made in early 90's. One short usage session and both heal midsoles ruptured and actually tore the rubber outsole. I carved out the rotten PU midsole and peeled off the entire outsole. Sent the boots to a cobbler who suggested a Vibram Cup sole unit. I will follow up with photos of the rebuilt boots. Gonna be pretty expensive repairs. As for surplus I picked up an ICWB Bates Goretex with membrane and 2 liners for $60CAD Canadian Surplus outfitters store back East. Boots have Vibram outsole and are pretty decent looking boots. Photos Bates Intermediate Cold Weather Water proof boot. Full Leather upper. Membrane boot so not recommended for traditional boot greases and types of Dubbin I imagine. Haix Germany makes special boot treatment for leather boots with Goretex membranes.
71cNY4MkT4L._AC_UL1500___32870.1592244621.jpg

GetAttachmentThumbnail
16777.jpg

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Goodyear welts on good Raichle climbing boots, I kicked the Vibram soles loose doing steps in icy snow too many times. So old that the toes are on with screws. The bloody screws rusted out!
Went to a chandler and bought a bunch of stainless steel ships fittings screws.
No more problems in the last 30 years.

Reactions: Silverclaws2

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE