Reattaching the soles on surplus German army boots?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I just noticed that the soles on my very gently used German army boots from the surplus store have pretty much detached completely! The outer sole itself is fine, as is the leather boot, but the middle bit has gone completely. Does anyone know of something that I can use to reattach the soles?

They only get used for dog walking when the weather is foul and the occasional trip to the woods, so I would have expected years more use out of them. The only marking on them is the word "Bund".

Forager
Sep 25, 2013
Scotland
www.instagram.com
I just noticed that the soles on my very gently used German army boots from the surplus store have pretty much detached completely! The outer sole itself is fine, as is the leather boot, but the middle bit has gone completely. Does anyone know of something that I can use to reattach the soles?

They only get used for dog walking when the weather is foul and the occasional trip to the woods, so I would have expected years more use out of them. The only marking on them is the word "Bund".
The arch support? I'd have a google for some sort of rubber contact cement. Some of that stuff is super strong these days and is actually used in the manufacturing of a lot of boots.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent

Not sure if this tube will be enough but try and clamp the sole and boot down as much as possible after youve glued them.
I had a pair of hanwag soles literally fall off mid walk. i took them to the cobbler twice and they still couldnt get them to stick properly, they tried various glues and primers, so I retired them.

Last edited:
Reactions: SaraR

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Reactions: Toddy and SaraR

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Up until a fortnight ago, I'd have said Shoegoo too,

However, since the cooler weather hit, I dug out an old pair of Lowa's on which the inner sole had sadly crumbled. I had always been told that they could never be repaired, but I gave these guys a call - https://www.bootrepaircompany.co.uk/
Sent them a photo, they said yes, I posted them off and they were back within a week feeling and looking great.

I can't comment personally on the longevity of the repair yet but keep pestering me for updates if you want to know.

Good luck!

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent

However, since the cooler weather hit, I dug out an old pair of Lowa's on which the inner sole had sadly crumbled. I had always been told that they could never be repaired, but I gave these guys a call - https://www.bootrepaircompany.co.uk/
Sent them a photo, they said yes, I posted them off and they were back within a week feeling and looking great.

I can't comment personally on the longevity of the repair yet but keep pestering me for updates if you want to know.

Good luck!
Thats interesting. I was using a cobblers in orpington that have done a few jobs for me. had a nightmare with the hanwags.

If you dont mind sharing, how much did they charge you for the fix? and what was replaced?

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
If you dont mind sharing, how much did they charge you for the fix? and what was replaced?
£74.95 (their standard costs for replacement soles and return postage) plus the cost of posting to them - so about £80 all in.

I did also ask about them replacing an eyelet, but they didn't have any of the type that I wanted - that would have been an extra £10.

They replaced the cushioned material that was crumbling (might be called a mid-sole or sole-bed) and a new set of Vibram soles.

So far I'm a happy bunny!

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Basically any one component low Tg PU elastic sealant could be used as adhesive. The low Tg requirement usually leads to building outside sealants.

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
My Lowa's (fantastic boots) are on their way out (sad face).
The leather upper is a little cracked, but intact, so I'm concerned replacing the sole would be a waste. But new soles are cheaper than new boots. Various internet searches have produced ex-army, goretex-lined (£65-£120) or some Seeland boots, which also look good. But no experience or reviews of them.
So either I bite the bullet (£200 for good boots) or compromise with army (not guaranteed to be comfortable, waterproof or silly heavy) or unknown others.
Experience tells me that it's best to spend it wisely on this most important of kit items.

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
My Lowa's (fantastic boots) are on their way out (sad face).
The leather upper is a little cracked, but intact, so I'm concerned replacing the sole would be a waste. But new soles are cheaper than new boots. Various internet searches have produced ex-army, goretex-lined (£65-£120) or some Seeland boots, which also look good. But no experience or reviews of them.
So either I bite the bullet (£200 for good boots) or compromise with army (not guaranteed to be comfortable, waterproof or silly heavy) or unknown others.
Experience tells me that it's best to spend it wisely on this most important of kit items.
Something you could consider: previously I'd sent another pair of Lowas to the Boot Repair Company, and like you wasn't sure whether a new sole was an option. As it turned out it wasn't possible, but they contacted me by phone very promptly to discuss the matter. In the end I decided to let them dispose of my boots for me. So in the end it cost me the price of posting ( about 12 quid I think), but at least I knew for sure.

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
Something you could consider: previously I'd sent another pair of Lowas to the Boot Repair Company, and like you wasn't sure whether a new sole was an option. As it turned out it wasn't possible, but they contacted me by phone very promptly to discuss the matter. In the end I decided to let them dispose of my boots for me. So in the end it cost me the price of posting ( about 12 quid I think), but at least I knew for sure.
That's dead handy to know. Thanks Dave. I might give them a call or send an email first with a pic.

Reactions: Dark Horse Dave

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol

I used Gorilla glue to stick a sole on recently.
It worked really well but I needed 83 clamps and a selection of wooden battens, in a variety of positions to get it all held!
It was a kind of shoe glue scaffold origami.
It worked though.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
In my opinion the complete sole needs to be replaced.

They are simply too old. That happens with most boots 8 years after production.

That's why I always recommend traditional double stiched old fashioned boots. They last 20 years or even far longer.

Should you decide to replace them I can tell you a few boots that surely last longer than yours, which obviously had been stored too long.

Nowadays you can't buy anymore surplus boots. They throw them out of the storage if they had been stored too long to issue them.

If you want such glued comfortable military boots you must take them out of current production. Haix, Meindl, Lowa, Altberg for example sell them new to civil clients too.

And I even would buy only new produced sewn boots, because nowadays also they have EVA pieces in the soles to make them softer.
You very rarely get the old hard rubber sole boots which really last a lifetime.

But the sewn ones, the double stiched ones especially, are made to be resoled.
Every shoemaker master can do it.

You could send this photo to Meindl and Lowa and Haix, ask them if it's made by them and if they are able to resole it.

I know that Meindl offers it for their top models. But I don't know if yours is a Meindl boot.

Last edited:

Mowmow

Forager
Jul 6, 2016
Nottinghamshire

Good luck!
I'll be bearing that in mind!
Nowhere seems to do resoling near where i live.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE