Reasonably priced GPS unit with maps for hiking! Which one!?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rich83

Sep 6, 2012
Selsey, West Sussex
Hello :)

Having looked around online I can't seem to work out which hand held hiking map GPS thing is the one to buy.

My needs -

Water Proof (or at least OK to use when it's raining)
Drop Proof (or rugged)
Reliable
Long Battery life (or easy to change disposable batteries)
Maps!

So what do I get? I had a Foretrex 401 which was all of the above but without maps. It always worked and was simple to use and lasted ages on batteries.

I love my smart phone and use Google Maps all the time for sat nav and local walks, but the battery is poor and the device is obviously very fragile so that rules out my phone, but if I could get a device that was simple and clear to use like my phone that would be great.

So any suggestions?!

Feb 9, 2013
Midlands
Anker 13000mah power pack. Portable and just bigger than smart phone sizes. Then get osmand, android open source mapping. Perhaps a tpu tough case?

GTi9082 & Psion 5

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I have the SatMap system. It's expensive as are the maps but deals are available on ebay and at their online store.

Darwa

Forager
Apr 12, 2013
Cambridge
I use a Garmin Dakota 20 with Talky Toaster 'OS Feel' maps.

I find it simple to use, especially with OS getamap (I plan routes online, then export them and vice versa). Of course, being Garmin, there are a plethora of accessories available should you want them, and it's compatible with every type of mapping software that I use (I do a lot of data recording academically).

I completely understand about using a smartphone. If only battery life and ruggedness could be significantly improved without rendering an octopus limbless.....:(

bearbait

I've a Garmin 62S (as well as an older 60CSX). I went for the one without preloaded mapping as it takes up some of the available memory, permanently I believe. I just load whatever maps I want for anywhere in the world as and when. As the 60CSX is no longer made you may be able to get one preloved. (I get my routable maps free from here which are based on OpenStreetMap - which you could contribute to using tracklogs and waypoints from your new unit! These maps don't have contours but you can add contours to the maps for the UK from here. There's a bit of guide on doing so here. Also as OSM is crowd-sourced there may not be the detail in some places that, e.g., an OS 1:25K or 1:50K map might give you...but it's getting better all the time.

One thing I like about the 62 series - made me upgrade from the 60CSX - is being able to calibrate (georeference) satellite/aerial images or scanned maps. e.g. ski or snowshoe trails, and then load them into your unit getting your position overlaid on the imported image. Garmin will sell you aerial images but there's stuff around you should be able to get gratis. Some national mapping agencies provide digital versions of their maps free so you can grab those too.

The unit seems to keep the signal very well in thick forest and in deep canyons, and works fine in the car without an external aerial. It's chock full of features such as altimeter, which seems pretty accurate (depending on satellite geometry), compass and other stuff I haven't found or used yet.

If you go for one make sure you upgrade the firmware as the early firmware versions of the 62 series were a bit adrift on the speed and distance shown on the dashboard display, along with one or two other "undocumented" features.

But...I still take a map with me when hiking and I still use it for nav. The GPS is just used as a backup and to survey/resurvey stuff for OSM.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE