Really simple rucksack mod

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I got an LK35 Swedish rucksack in canvas. Very pleased with it. The only criticism you ever hear of these packs (and other old packs) is that the shoulder straps are not as comfortable as more modern packs.

So, I was in my local Poundstretcher (other cheap shops selling mostly tat are available) just browsing, and I spotted some of these, and had an idea.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SEAT-COMFOR...&qid=1450554607&sr=8-1&keywords=seatbelt+pads

Wrapped around the shoulder straps they add instant padding, and are a cheap, no sewing involved solution. Ok, so they are not canvas, but they seem secure and are removaable and transferable to other packs. Works for me.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Great idea that Mike, I have a Norwegian Telemark pack, and an Italian Alpini, both very good packs, but lacking on the shoulder straps. Will be visiting the local Poundland in the new year. Thanks for the heads up.

superc0ntra

Nomad
Sep 15, 2008
Sweden
Genius! I'll try that with my LK70.

Another thing that made a huge difference is a chest strap to avoid the shoulder straps slipping outwards. That made a huge difference in comfort.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
A few years ago I bought some of these.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SHOULDER-...068695?hash=item5d5b522557:g:RtcAAOxyV85R0GeQ

They are from an American seller - so postage etc would be prohibitive if buying just those, but I was buying a load of stuff so to adding them was no big deal.

I haven't searched to see if something similar is available over here though...

Basically that's a more sophsticated version of the seatbelt pads, specifically for rucksacks. I knew the idea couldn't have been original on my part :D

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Nice one Mike. I did a similar thing to my m39 a while back. Took the shoulder straps off my old karrimor annapurna 4, unpicked the ends and threaded them over the leather m39 straps. Much more comfortable on a long hike when the bag is stuffed full of gear.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE