Really good alternative to the Millbank bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Interesting so no pre-soaking required you reckon? should take out most particulate and then boil as normal eh?
just ordered one to give it a go ;)

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
good find mate,...

i,m gonna wait for the verdict,....

i was gonna say you could make 3 or 4 pack sized ones out of that, but the stitching could be an issue...

very interesting tho,...

Stu

peterbennett9

Forager
Nov 20, 2010
Belfast
Yeah no pre soaking required, this is a 1 micron filter meant for filtering bio diesel so no pre soaking is needed, also 1 micron is as good or better than most pre filters on the market AND if you watch a video of a guy using it you'll see the water runs through it much quicker than the mill bank bag too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6VaUBx8SwY

peterbennett9

Forager
Nov 20, 2010
Belfast
Stu, you can order these in many different sizes, that link was for one similar in size to the millbank bag but you can get them in very small and compact sizes from the same guy if you search on ebay, you can even boil these to sterilise them after use

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
Stu, you can order these in many different sizes, that link was for one similar in size to the millbank bag but you can get them in very small and compact sizes from the same guy if you search on ebay, you can even boil these to sterilise them after use

cheers,

i'll have another look,....:)

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK

after seeing the vid actually a smaller one would be slightly more useful as water litterally flies through this.

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
I got one after seeing a video on the Tube. The guy advocated creating your own mini-filters out of the big one. I was intrigued enough to try it. Get one of the big filter bags, take out the stiffening wire and undo the stitching. Lay it flat and cut circles out (can't remember what I used to draw around, but I got 5 with only a bit of fabric to spare). Then fold into quarters until you have an almost-triangle and glue both sides together. You're left with a small filter that should fit the rim of most bottles/canteens, but isn't big and bulky and can easily be stored when wet. And you've got spares for stashing in all of your redundant back-up kits.

Hope that makes sense!

Claudiasboris

Last edited:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE