Millbank bag alternative idea

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I used to have a millbank bag. Awesome bit of kit. I traded it because I never used it. Well now I'm thinking I should get another one!

But, since the millbank bags job is to filter out debris and sediment and doesn't of course remove bacteria, could I simply use a cotton sweat rag instead, doubled over?

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

• Love
Reactions: Le Loup

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Have a listen to Paul Kirtley's podcast with the manufacturer of the modern millbank bag. Very informative lesson on water hygiene as well as details on the millbank.

I used to have a millbank bag. Awesome bit of kit. I traded it because I never used it. Well now I'm thinking I should get another one!

But, since the millbank bags job is to filter out debris and sediment and doesn't of course remove bacteria, could I simply use a cotton sweat rag instead, doubled over?

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk
These are the bags I carry Van-Wild.
Filter-Bags-REDUCED.jpg

Regards, Keith.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Kirtley talked about this bag.
Several shops offer it, also in the UK.

Later appeared a version of Helikon Tex.

I bought the browns version to compare with my genuine millbank - it works and clears faster but it definitely doesn’t remove as much as a genuine millbank bag

Reactions: Erbswurst

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Truth is any kind of filter is better than nothing.
pouring it through your fingers to remove leaves is better than not!
But, the finer the material in the filter, the more debris will be removed.

As you say, none of the options provide drinking water as it will still need to be treated in some way (chemicals, boiling etc) to make it safe.
All it means is you may not need to chew your water before swallowing!

Seriously, one other thing to consider is depending on how you treat the water may change options for filtering. Chlorine is a contact chemical - it has to be next to the bug, germ, bacteria etc to kill it. If that bacteria is inside a piece of dirt the chlorine can't get close enough and so the water may not be as safe as you think.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrEd and Erbswurst

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Truth is any kind of filter is better than nothing.
pouring it through your fingers to remove leaves is better than not!
But, the finer the material in the filter, the more debris will be removed.

As you say, none of the options provide drinking water as it will still need to be treated in some way (chemicals, boiling etc) to make it safe.
All it means is you may not need to chew your water before swallowing!

Seriously, one other thing to consider is depending on how you treat the water may change options for filtering. Chlorine is a contact chemical - it has to be next to the bug, germ, bacteria etc to kill it. If that bacteria is inside a piece of dirt the chlorine can't get close enough and so the water may not be as safe as you think.

Yep, I filter with the MB bag then Puritab or boil it.

I also only take from either large bodies of water (lakes for example) or flowing water like a river (not drainage ditches)

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
The browns millbank is good I think there is another out there either from greenman bushcraft or the bushcraftstore will check

Last edited:

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Yes
This one boonies used to be in single or group sizes

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE