Realist "Survival" training

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Pointless going without shoes as one of the first things you would make are...footware. Going barefoot is inviting cuts which in a survival situation would often lead to infection; tell him to put his shoes or boots on.

AuldJum

Forager
Sep 18, 2011
Fife
Pointless going without shoes as one of the first things you would make are...footware. Going barefoot is inviting cuts which in a survival situation would often lead to infection; tell him to put his shoes or boots on.

It's clear you have never gone without shoes for a prolonged period of time as you wouldn't make such an ill informed comment regarding it.

He pretty much say's that fire is the only thing he needs as he generally go's at night and shelter isn't doable so the means to make fire is paramount.

Both of us draw heavily from the advice of Mors kochanski so he will tend to use a kochanskian way of working adapted to our warm climate.

We usually say that survival training is 90% psychology so how can it be realistic training when you are able to get help easily?

Obviously he's not 500 miles from help but he is as far away from help as he can get in the worst conditions he can get so surely this is the only kind of realistic training you can get?

AuldJum

Forager
Sep 18, 2011
Fife
It is interesting - what are the main lessons he has learned so far? is it skills that he has realised he needs to have eg tree identification (can't think of a better example), or something that he needs to carry on him at all times eg cord

For the first night he say's fire is the only realistic solution as he is generally out at night so shelter isn't realistic, it's better to be warm and wet than dry and cold.

After the first night or during it he will makwe a container for boiling water which he does by burning a concavity in wood.

Once thats done he will make shelter from whatever is to hand.

The max he has been out for is 17 days without gear and after the first night or two he makes as much cord as possible, food in his opinion is secondary to getting out.

From what i can gather fire is paramount, making it with minimal equipment in the worst conditions possible is paramount. Then something to purify water, shelter (to conserve firewood) and cordage are his priorities

AuldJum

Forager
Sep 18, 2011
Fife
It is interesting - what are the main lessons he has learned so far? is it skills that he has realised he needs to have eg tree identification (can't think of a better example), or something that he needs to carry on him at all times eg cord

I think the equipment on you is the most important thing plus knowing how to use it. Knowing the plants is very important as cordage etc is essential.

He would pretty much need to know and have practised a heck of a lot to get any comfort.

It's very interesting and he'll be on in a few days to comment on his methods i'm sure.

From what he does i believe that his way of learning these skills is the only way to have a good basis for sharing these skills.

If we watch ray mears and les stroud you'll see how stroud doesn't fare well at all usually but his way is the most realistic way we can get whereas mears is bushcraft orientated but the skills are the same

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Thanks for the feed back on lessons so far - and regardless of what criticisms are made of or to him - good luck I say - he's got more b*lls than me

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE