Real Coffee Outdoors

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Real coffee outdoors, the Italian way :wink:

For real coffee outdoors I carry one of these ( the smallest one shown):

1327espressostovetop.jpg

A 1 Cup 'Vespress' Stainless Stovetop Espresso Maker. Makes 1 demitasse, 5" tall overall, heat resistant handle, stainless steel body, very tough, made in Italy. The grounds go into a carrier inside and as the water turns to steam it passes through the coffee grounds and out into a receptacle in the top part. It means no messy grounds like other coffee makers too. These type of coffee makers are quite common in French hypermarkets and you can get them (and other makes) online in UK.

The smallest one which makes superb expresso coffee or mix with milk etc. Because they work under pressure the water boils faster I find and keep it warmer longer for a second cup. The taste is also better this way ( like a proper expresso machine) I also have used it for tea :wink: small to carry. Not essential but a real moral booster :)

I timed a 100ml amount of cold water in mine over a Trangia burner ( indoors in the kitchen). I place the burner centred on a Trangia pan as a base then place the wind shield over it and place the expresso maker on the hole where you usually put the burner. This gives a good distance from burner to expresso maker bottom. I had a piping hot expresso (remember the water is turned to steam under pressure like a pressure cooker and passes through the grounds) in 2 minutes 15 seconds.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Looks great Moonraker. I have a stovetop one with a spout that you put the cup under but I've never really taken it out and about so to speak. I will give it a go next time I think.

Bill

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
shinobi said:
I have a very similar version. Aluminium, octagonal build. well and truly battered but makes a great cup of proper coffee.
you're right, a real moral booster !!

Cheers,

Martin

Hey Martin.....if you're basha'd up near me at the Ashdown meet up I may, if you're lucky, let you show me (with tasting of course) just what nice coffee your coffee pot makes! :wink: :nana: :wink:

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
bambodoggy said:
Hey Martin.....if you're basha'd up near me at the Ashdown meet up I may, if you're lucky, let you show me (with tasting of course) just what nice coffee your coffee pot makes! :wink: :nana: :wink:
After you kindly lent me your basha and bivvybag to try out I said,

"I owe you a drink"

Well, I see a mutually acceptable solution here :rolmao:

cheers,

Martin

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
That was cool....chatting about my new coffee filters last night and they arrived from the States this morning.....(and I didn't get stung by customs this time).

I'll bring them along to Ashdown so you can all see what they are like.....my initial thoughts are "Wow...neat idea and very very light weight.....much lighter than a pot of any type"!
I'll try it out in the comfort of my kitchen this evening.... :lol:

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I've now had several cups of real coffee from my new strainer thingy...see link below and can report that they are FAB!!!! I'll be bringing it to Ashdown if anyone else wants a play with it :eek:):

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE