Re-proofing Gore-Tex lined Boots?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lynx

Nomad
Jun 5, 2010
Wellingborough, Northants
For the second time I have returned from a long hike with wet feet despite wearing a pair of Meindl Gore-Tex lined boots. I usually give them a clean on my return, rinse them down and apply a frothy covering of Graingers G-Max Footwear cleaner. On the first occasion I applied the cleaner and immediately rinsed it off (which is what the instructions seem to suggest). On the second I left in on to dry off and did not rinse. Both occasions failed to keep my feet dry.

Clearly I am going wrong somewhere so could somebody give me some advice on this and maybe recommend something entirely different? I love the boots by the way which are about twelve months old now.

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
I think you will find that footwear and goretex don't mix very well. The constant flexing and abrasion will quickly break down the goretex laminate at certain points and these will then leak, and there is'nt anything you can do to prevent or repair this.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
What were the weather conditions like? I find my feet get wet in Gore-Tex lined boots due to sweat more than anything.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Which Meindl boots are they?
How old are they?
If they have a rand make sure there is no chance of ingress ie it is sealed all the way round
In warm weather sweat will make feet wet for sure ;but you will usually notice that your feet are very hot to the extent you will want to remove the boot to cool your feet.It has been very warm recently is the reason I favour this potential cause

Lynx

Nomad
Jun 5, 2010
They don't appear to have this one in the list and so maybe it's an older model but it is a hiking boot with quite a few open mesh areas to it if that helps. They are about 12-18 months old.

Lynx

Nomad
Jun 5, 2010
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm am beginning to think this has been caused by water wicking down into my boot via the sock.
biggrin.gif

I have some gaiters but have never used them; maybe now's the time! If the ground is wet I usually tuck my trouser bottoms into a long pair of woolly socks but I think the grass may have been a bit longer this time and has probably wicked down.

I have been using G-Max to proof the boots after they get wet by the way but I'm never clear on how to use the stuff because the symbols on the side of the bottle suggest that you apply and then wash off which seems like a waste of time to me (i.e. it doesn't have time to do anything before being washed away).

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
I too can add a similar experience with my meindl boots. In my case I'm certain that its the inevitable breakdown of the goretex layer. As said above, there's nowt you can do about it. I am also of the oppinion that the breathability of a boot with a goretex membrain is already compromised. In my case, they are great boots, waterproof, to a point. But when the membrane breaks, they become a dry weather boot for me.

Treating the outer is feasible, and I use the nikwax range of liquids for synthetic, and the wax for leather. You can build up a nice impregnable layer of wax on a leather boot and the nikwax is great for that.

I did dry my boots and put a kitchen towel inside, underneath that I blew a balloon up in order to force the towel to the upper layer of the boot, it helps if you tie up the laces as if your foot was in them. Then pour water over the top of the boot, its trial and error then to try and guess when to pop the balloon to see where the leak is. Worked for me, as I found that the leak was around the main flexing area next to both sides of the boot. Mystery solved. Theres only so long before a sythentic boot will keep water out, even with added chemicals. The 'cleaner' you are using just cleans the boot, I guess you could also try a dedicated 'proofer' after you have used the cleaner ?

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Try Nikwax fabric & leather boot waterproofing stuff. I have fabric Asolo Flames and have been using it for about 2 years. It seems to work well with the fabric style boots, with any dampness coming from sweat (warm days and gaiters) or water coming in over the top of the boot. You brush the boot with water to get most of the mud and dirt off, apply the Nikwax, leave it a few minutes and then wipe off any excess.

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
Try Nikwax fabric & leather boot waterproofing stuff. I have fabric Asolo Flames and have been using it for about 2 years. It seems to work well with the fabric style boots, with any dampness coming from sweat (warm days and gaiters) or water coming in over the top of the boot. You brush the boot with water to get most of the mud and dirt off, apply the Nikwax, leave it a few minutes and then wipe off any excess.

Ha ha I have the same boots and also use Nixwax, never failed me yet. I have crossed many shallow streams (ankle deep) and never had issues with water getting in. To clean them off after use I simply use the hosepipe.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE