Re-handling an Axe.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
I finally got around to having a go at one of these. A friend of mine has recently moved into an old property that's not been improved for years. In the back yard is an old coal hole where the deliveries could be added via a little door that faces the path at the rear. I popped my head through and what did I see but a 1.5lb Kent pattern axe sat there waiting for me! We agreed a pint was the payment next time we meet, as he already has a shiny hatchet.

I used Robin Wood's excellent tutorial. http://greenwood-carving.blogspot.com/2010/12/how-to-make-new-axe-handle.html

Before

S5000023.jpg

After

S5000037.jpg

The tools used SFA and my Fast Knife.

S5000027.jpg

More in the blog if you fancy a gander
http://woodsmancrafts.blogspot.com/2011/04/re-handling-axe.html

Addo :)

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Thanks for the comments guys. :)

The tutorial was very easy to follow, and it was handy to know all the info about the separate parts of the process.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
You inspired me to procrastinate and put a new handle on a very old Kent pattern axe I've had in the man drawer for a while. Not pretty but it is serviceable now.

Andy

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Good one Andy, glad you went for it.
Nice day for sitting out and doing a spot of carving too. Is it ever going to rain?:dunno:

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I cheated and used a shop bought handle because I lack a supply of wood up here. - Nice and sunny in Glasgow though :D

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Nice one Paul, nothing better than leasing new life into a forgotten or neglected tool. Looks great and more than ready for work again.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE