Rays new series 1st prog on the Birch bark canoe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
Thats much more like it, really enjoyed that one. At first I thought umm wouldnt mind a go at that.... then thought perhaps not :eek:

Beautifull work of art.

Grez

Forager
Apr 16, 2005
-
Well I totally enjoyed that.

I thought it was absolutely amazing that a pile of wood could be turned into something that was just so beautiful.

GrahamD

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 2, 2004
Sussex
What a cool programme that was tonight - best bit was when he put the very first space in between the gunwales - suddenly the three bits of wood leapt into life and just had that special shape.

Excellent, and really looking forward to the next episode - I hope it's the canoe trip down a Canadian River.

Graham.

RJP

Jan 22, 2004
Kent
That was an excellent programme. Different from his previous fair (which I still really like) but better for it.
I feel very inspired, although having built a coracle myself, I feel that a birch bark canoe is in a different league. You would be very chuffed if you took it on and completed it to the same standard that Ray did in this programme.
It was nice to see him as the pupil rather than the teacher. I felt it made for a very personal touch to the programme. Well done Ray, lets hope the rest live up to this one, I can't wait until next Thursday :D .

RJP.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I only caught the last 10 minutes but it looked like it was a very good programme. It was a real core skill thing, hands on and a spectacular result. Well done Ray for a good programme, keep it up :D

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
Wow,

really enjoyed that show, even let the kids up to watch it (6 + 3) little beggars wouldn't stay in bed - my daughter said "why did you not tell me Ray Mears was on the telly".

Bummer it was not shown on BBC2 Scotland - had to search through the listings to find some foreign channel (BBC2 En) to watch it on Sky, managed to record it as well........I hope.

My kids now want to build a canoe.....

Looking forward to the rest of the shows if they are anything like this.

Cheers

JFW

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
Hi everyone, I'm new to this website, looks like a good one, hope I'll get a lot of knowledge from you all!!

Just saw the new Ray Mears. Thought it was best one for a while, it really went into the skills and techniques! I've never really had much interest in canoes or canoe building, but after watching that I just want to get into one and paddle off somewhere...

Was there an episode recently, or one coming up about making a dugout canoe..? I saw Ray in Tunbridge Wells last week, and he gave some 'backstage' information, that when they made the dugout they actually made it too thick, and so had to lower the canoe into the water with a JCB... thought that was a laugh!

Looking forward to the next episode!

p.s. Anyone know of a good native canoeing type website

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
Daniel,

sorry can't help you with any canoeing links, but I'm sure someone on the site will. It is a wonderful resource with lots of knowledgeable and friendly folk.
Just wanted to say welcome to the campfire.
There is an introduction section where you might want to tell us all a little about yourself.

Cheers and welcome

JFW

Bagheera

Forager
Jan 8, 2004
The Netherlands
home.kabelfoon.nl
Hello guys,

I had an First Aid training, didn't see the tV guide on time because of to much work not enough time :( so I missed Ray's Birch Barck Canoe building show.

Does anybody know if the BBC does a rerun on another time like during the day?

Also, is there a way to save the BBC radio program where Ray Mears spoke?
I just want to be able to listen to it on my own time without being on the Web.

Best Scouting wishes from Holland,

Bagheera

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
very enjoyable programe

but I think I missed somthing, did they show how they fixed those huge splits in the bark?....... I must have been distracted when they showed it

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
Hi Stuart.

I think they put another layer of bark at crossways to the grain on the inside, and gummed it into place before putting down the thin planking.

It wasn't shown - I think, but the old man suggested it and Ray indicated that it was the solution that made the most sense.

Ace Rimmer

Tenderfoot
Apr 20, 2005
Swindon
I don't believe it, I thought it was on Sunday! ARGH! :eek:

Oh well. But Thursday night I am always out!

Grrrrrr. Oh well I look forward to the next episode!

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Womble said:
Hi Stuart.

I think they put another layer of bark at crossways to the grain on the inside, and gummed it into place before putting down the thin planking.

It wasn't shown - I think, but the old man suggested it and Ray indicated that it was the solution that made the most sense.

That was pretty much it. They didn't actually show it being done.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Bagheera said:
Hello guys,

I had an First Aid training, didn't see the tV guide on time because of to much work not enough time :( so I missed Ray's Birch Barck Canoe building show.

Does anybody know if the BBC does a rerun on another time like during the day?

Also, is there a way to save the BBC radio program where Ray Mears spoke?
I just want to be able to listen to it on my own time without being on the Web.

Best Scouting wishes from Holland,

Bagheera

I am afraid you have to be online to listen - it's a rights issue, so they will only give you a streaming link not an actual file.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
You could probably record the audio coming out of your computer with a jack line into a Minidisc player or tape recorder. I don't know if you can record onto another PC or not. Anyone have any ideas?

Spamel

Just tried a cable going from my line out to mic. I am now able to record audio using Nero. Are there any legal issues with me doing this, as it is basically the same as recording off of the radio.

spamel said:
You could probably record the audio coming out of your computer with a jack line into a Minidisc player or tape recorder. I don't know if you can record onto another PC or not. Anyone have any ideas?

Spamel

Just tried a cable going from my line out to mic. I am now able to record audio using Nero. Are there any legal issues with me doing this, as it is basically the same as recording off of the radio.
Which is technically illegal ;)

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Daniel said:
Was there an episode recently, or one coming up about making a dugout canoe..? I saw Ray in Tunbridge Wells last week, and he gave some 'backstage' information, that when they made the dugout they actually made it too thick, and so had to lower the canoe into the water with a JCB... thought that was a laugh!

Looking forward to the next episode!

p.s. Anyone know of a good native canoeing type website
There were a couple of shots of Ray paddling a dugout in the aboriginal Britain episode. They probably filmed it's construction but it was edited out as they were devoting a whole episode to birchbark canoes.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE