Raymond mears survival handbook (1990)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bribri

Forager
Mar 18, 2014
manchester
Wow' i was given this book for free' just a few days ago. Never knew about it. So ive been lookin online for it..... omg some silly silly £££££ for a copy of it? Why? Its a good book yea' but askin that amount of money.... £67-£150 :eek:
u8e4aven.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I'm assuming the big prices are for first editions, mine has the same cover but i think is a second print.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I'm assuming the big prices are for first editions, mine has the same cover but i think is a second print.

You can tell easily enough.

First editions were published by Oxford Press and printed by J Haynes. I can't remember who did the second edition but I think it was a book club

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Just had a look at one of the bay listings for £150, it's not a first ed' , i can see on the pic that the letters of the reprint company are on the bottom of the 'binder' edge, buyers beware.

tent peg

Nomad
Jan 13, 2014
Sherwood Forest
Just had a look at one of the bay listings for £150, it's not a first ed' , i can see on the pic that the letters of the reprint company are on the bottom of the 'binder' edge, buyers beware.

that's probably Ray selling one from his stash, not been on telly for a while, short a few quid :p

bribri

Forager
Mar 18, 2014
manchester
Mines the 1994 reprint' and a mate just gave me it for free, very nice of him :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I always think it is a bit weird what is paid for "collectors" books. I bought a grubby edible and medicinal plants by edmund launert , a while back. A clean one was going for silly money,I piad I think 15 quid for mine. I am glad to say I have gleefully added to the thumb prints. Think it strange that pristine one could get wrapped in plastic and never read. That ray mears book will save you fortune in kit and mistakes and I have certainly got paid for knowledge I got from launert. What I am saying a book might sell for a £100 on amazon but the knowledge in it is worth h far more in your head .

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
I wonder how many are actually selling at those prices?
If they are, then the next likely scenario is that lots of people will try to sell theirs, the market will be 'flooded' and then the prices will come down to a more realistic value.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I wonder how many are actually selling at those prices?
If they are, then the next likely scenario is that lots of people will try to sell theirs, the market will be 'flooded' and then the prices will come down to a more realistic value.

I doubt they are - I've sold a couple of copies on that I picked up at car boot sales:) Although the value goes up & down I would say £30-£45 is more realistic. £100+ is somebody chancing their luck

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
this was the same conversation we had about this book about 8 years ago, the prices haven't changed, you can still get the odd copy at a reasonable price and there's still some that are charging loads. If you can get one from Free to £30-£40 then it's worth considering, you don't see a lot of them about though.

Much better to get the 1994 copy than the 1990 copy if it's a lot cheaper, its the knowledge in it that's of value not the age of the binding...

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Much better to get the 1994 copy than the 1990 copy if it's a lot cheaper, its the knowledge in it that's of value not the age of the binding...

I've a copy of the 1992 version - the cover with him on the front with the checked shirt - not a bad ready plenty to work with but I wouldn't pay more than the cover price

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Just noticed ths thread and dug out my copy which is a 1990 Oxford. Not looked at it in years but was happy to find a big new Silva romer that I hid inside it back in the '90s. Happy to swap for a decent sized bit of 2 or 3mm veg tan if anyone's desperate.

Atb

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE