ray mears????

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gaz_miggy

Forager
Sep 23, 2005
Hereford
Kochanski, Mears and roycroft are all good at what they do other wise they wouldnt be so well known this is one persons opion i think we sould just have our own opions and leve the slagging off to so called exspert critics (sorry bout the spelling) and for that revew there is so much to bushcraft that theres no way you could fit it into 100 books i think all that people who wright these book are just trying to give u enuf to get u started. i mean would you know were to start if u was going to wright a bushcraft book i know i wouldnt.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
on the subject of the axe warming, i can see both sides of this one. hitting a cold axe blade against a hard tree is a good way to shatter steel. heating it too fast will also thermally shock the blade, but touching bare steel in freezing weather isn't clever either.
the axe will benefit from gentle warming before use but i wouldn't touch it with bare skin, maybe with my thin gloves on though.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I have read that a cold axe is brittle and can shatter, but has this actually happened to anyone?

Probably one for our Scandinavian/North American friends.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i've seen a high tensile steel pin shatter like glass after it was dropped on a concrete floor (mind you, it had been sitting in a bath of liquid nitrogen for a couple of hours)

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Hmmm....liquid nitrogen....what's that, about minus 190 degrees C or so?..... :eek:

Now there's a good one for the Scottish Tourist Board: 'Come to Scotland this winter - it's warmer than liquid nitrogen'

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
As far as tree felling, they are both right to a certain degree. Mears takes the stand that using deadfalls instead of felling healthy trees is his prefered method and it is mine as well. Why kill a tree if you don't have to. Each winter in our area here, 100s of trees fall to the storms and each year, I and several hundred other people use the deadfalls for firewood and shelter construction. I wouldn't fell a tree here unless it was absolutely necessary.

Frederickson seems to take the stand that felling live trees is his prefered method and maybe it is necessary in his northern woods, but, like I mentioned, it isn't necessary in mine, so I would file what he says away for when I visit woods where it is necessary. If on the other hand, Frederickson is felling trees, instead of using available deadfall just because it's acceptable where he is, I might take exception to what he teaches.

There are just too many variables that enter into Bushcraft on too many levels, to make a statement that one man is wrong and another is right.

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
I am the first in my family line not to work in the lumber industry, my fathers have all work as "lumber jacks" and they all warmed their tools before working them in winter which is the traditional lumbering season. The way they did it and I was taught is to first build a fire for tea and warmth and to burn scrap wood, they'd place their tools axes, crosscut saws, pickaroon, cantle hooks etc... on planks close to the fire circle so the steel would get warmth from the fire and they would let their tools seep in the heat. During this time they would set up the days work area. Tools that are to hard are brittle in the cold and can shatter not always but why take a chance when the nearest store to replace your ax is 2-3 days away and a few days pay for the tool. This was in the old days, I still listen to their wisdoms. I would not warm cold steel with my skin; 2 fold : 1- moist skin sticks to steel in the cold (try to lick a steel post (NOT) and see, you have to warm the steel to seperate your tongue either with warm water or some heat source or you will tear the skin) 2- you have to replace that heat loss faster than the steel will suck it out of your body (hypothermia?) The use of dead wood is prefered either standing or dry, but when in need? If you use dead standing trees watch out for branches or upper limbs to fall of the tree at a high level and hurting you or worse. These are called widow makers for a good reason.
Take care, be safe CG :yo:

Graywolf

Nomad
May 21, 2005
Whereever I lay my Hat
Ray Mears has been a inspiration to everybody on this forum including myself.
I have worked in forestry,I have worked as a Ranger,I have worked as a Shepherd in the Middle East and camped in the bush of New Zealand the Mountains and Deserts of Australia and the Middle East.I did not know that what I loved was called Bushcraft,I just saw it as my way of living while out in the world.
I cannot understand knocking someone who obviously loved what they do,okay he may be a "celebrity"now,but how many of you would love to have at least a 1/4
of his knowledge and passion!I think I have said enough. :censored:
Clayton

JoshG

Nomad
Sep 23, 2005
Stockton-on-tees, England.
Mr Mears was the one who got me interested in bushcrafting and general wilderness living and that review seems a little harsh to me. I completely agree with Carcajou Garou and Spoony. Of course Mr Mears is a celebrity, but he's definitely one of the better ones! And plus, if he wasn't I don't think I would have been inspired to go to google and search bushcraft and stumble upon this here treasure trove of knowledge, wisdom and lovely forum folk! :D

Abbe Osram said:
There are many thoughts possible in this Thread lets do it step by step:

1. The reviewer is doing his job, he is entitled to his own judgment, I can agree with them or not that’s up to me but he is not evil because he is not worshiping an idol.

2. Take the best and leave the rest. That means that people have different talents why not taking the best from a person and leaving the rest. Ray is very good in throwing his entire being into the course of Bushcraft, much like a preacher. He stills installs the "feel" the spirit of Bushcraft in me, only by his talking, that’s the good things I take from him. The rest is his life not mine so why being fussy about how he’s and what he should do. I am meeting nearly every day people who are living in the Bush, they are better in the things of the woods than Mr. Mears but the are very boring people, spoiling nature a great deal. They live up here, yes, not to sleep in the forest, not to talk about it or see the beauty of it. They hunt and fish and look TV and if the logging company pays more for the day-to-day job they will love to cut the forest down. I can learn from them some skills but I would rather spent an evening talking with Ray about nature and Bushcraft.

3. The real problem are the worshippers not because they enjoy Ray so much but they make a religion out of it, dancing around the golden calf. And I am always suspect about the Hallelujah shouts of the masses, saying that someone is God. The same people crucify the person they loved so much the next day when he is not doing what the masses wants. They too identify so much with their hero that they are attacking people telling them that their king has no cloth on. In that way I am not shocked or moved that not everybody loves Ray.
Maybe the journalist was right, who knows. I know what I got from Ray and I am thankful for it.

I take the best and forget the rest.

Cheers
Abbe
well written abbe... ;)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I recreate ancient crafts and skills for a living. To find information on these skills we look to archeaology and similar existing practices in surviving cultures.

It is amazing how often I find the same job being done differently in differing cultures or time periods.

The people doing these tasks could all be described as experts in their own environment, but if placed in the area of anothers expertise would, no doubt, be criticiced for doing it wrong.

The interesting thing is, they all get the job done.

Ray Mears is a human being with a great interest in bushcraft. He has been fortunate to be in the right place at the right time and has made his interest into a living for himself...... It would seem that more than a few people are jealous of that fact...... That's their problem and not his.

If anything is to be criticiced it is the "Cult of Mears"..... We've all seen it. Minutes after the airing of his programs someone will post "What was that widget Ray was using? I must have one....."

There is no doubt that Ray gets some interesting toys, it's not surprising really. Manufacturers must be falling over them selves to get gear onto his program because his endorsment carries weight with a huge section of the public.

Is this something we can blame Mr Mears for?... I think not.

Read it again, Ray Mears is a human being, he is not divine, he is not infalible and he is not made of stone.

Consider for a moment. If you made your living from bushcraft wouldn't you read one of the best bushcraft information resources on the net?... If you were Ray Mears would you use that as your user name?

I would be very surprised if Ray was not lurking somewhere on this forum and perhaps adding useful information in places too. :cool:

Lets not flame the guy for helping to put Bushcraft into the lexicon of Joe Public.

Reactions: Toddy
My thoughts....i remember a few years ago,the programme tracks,i believe mr mears had a five minute slot...boy was i hooked,just for those five minutes,i made sure i watched it,i remember even taping it.since then ive watched the man progress and grow on our tellys.if a new programme is on i make sure i watch it...i say good luck to the man,and thank him for sharing knowledge with us,his programmes are well presented and enjoyable to watch.....wolf.
mears.jpg
[/IMG]

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
There's not a lot to add, other than to say that my 8yr old son is engrossed whenever his programmes are on, he learns and respects the ethos of bushcraft. For that I am grateful...thank you Ray.

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
I have often heard ''mears bashing'' here are a few examples:

''it says in Rays book that carbon steel is the best steel there is and it isnt there are much better steels out there''

What his book actually says is something like this:

''any good tool steel is good, but my preference is for 01 tool steel as it fills my needs admirably''

And as in the article:

''it is clear from his book that he is inexperienced in at least one environment: the northern woods.''

''Many other details indicate the author’s inexperience in the bush''

If the author had any idea of the experience Ray Mears has then these comments wouldnt of been made. I for one know of no other person who offers his service to people who has as much experience in the amount of different enviroments he has.

If people are bashing someone else its not the person who they are bashing that has a problem...................... THEY NEED TO LOOK IN THE MIRROR

In my humble opinion of course

Ash

AUSSIE

Tenderfoot
Feb 11, 2004
"It is also one of the most dangerous tasks, and Mears’ tree-felling diagram contains a serious error: the undercut—it is named that for a reason—should go under the backcut. This keeps the tree butt from kicking back and hitting the faller, so it is not a trivial matter. Following Mears’ instructions could get you killed. "

Well the undercut goes in first and then the face cut next to form a "scarf" and then the slightly downward backcut from above creates a hinge which finishes the job to be correct!! You don't learn this s**t from a book as it can get you killed!! A kid on a Sambar hunting trip in Victoria a couple of years ago got his guts ripped by a kick back and bled to death in moments! He was screwing around hacking out a scarf with an axe until the tree dropped!!! Deadly stuff and if Mear's book has such an error then the bloody thing should be withdrawn from the bookshelves!!

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Interestingly there is a testimonial from Leif Fredrickson on Mors Kochanski's website (Karamat) saying something along the lines of ' Thanks Mr Kochanski, I learnt lots. You are SO the greatest!'
Look at it this way. You are a Canadian (I assume he is) reporter looking to make your mark in the harsh modern publishing world. Do you

a) Critically review books by respected and loved Canadian / Local authors - which is likely to get you bashed. Or,

b) Critically review a book by someone from another, far distant country, who is not going to respond (or probably even know what you've said) and which you think will strike a better chord with the local people who read your reviews and those who may possibly decide whether to give you any future work?

Each to their own eh? As RM is so fond of saying ' Whatever works for You.' :)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I've just looked at both the Mears "Essential Bushcraft" book and the Kochanski "Bushcraft" books.

In the tree felling sections, although the wording differs the method described is the same.

Frankly reading either of these books as my only instruction before felling a large tree could easily get me killed.

We all know 99.99% percent of the people reading these books will never fell a tree in their life. At least Ray's book makes the suggestion that we should use a fallen tree instead.

If I was interested in chopping down trees I'd go and learn about it from someone who knows what they are doing.

If anyone thinks a book is the place to learn such dangerous skills then that might just be a bit of Darwinian "natural selection" in action.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Concur with that.

It is instructive to look up undercut and backcut on google. You get loads of fatal accident enquiry reports on incidents where experienced professional people have died horribly after making fairly subtle mistakes on felling trees.

Having said that, I have felled a Norway spruce every December..........must have been at least seven foot high........ :lmao:

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
Guys.

I think sometimes that you have to look at the bigger picture here.

At the end of the day, you have to ask yourself this question, has the bushcraft movement touched and changed your life in someway? I will put my head on chopping block and say yes it has, even if you do not know it.

I would also say that a lot people were first introduced to bushcraft by RM through and his TV series, again, I would also say the same about BCUK. Now people will always knock and question people like RM and always will, it is human nature. I think that I am pretty good at my job but I dare say that there are other who would say different.

You also have to realise, and take into consideration, that TV producers and publishers have a huge say, if the not the biggest say of how a book or a TV programme is constructed. I dare say people like RM are not always happy at the content of a book or programme as they will, without doubt be restricted in one way or another.

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Thats the trouble today, knowone seems to take responsability for there own safety..... its always someone els's fault. :censored: :censored: :censored:

If i tell you to jump of a cliff and you do it, it's YOUR error.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE