Ray Mears

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ryan Woods

Nomad
May 20, 2005
Where my bergan is
Earth Mother said:
I e-mailed his company and they said he often uses the American Alice Bergen but that isn't the one I have in mind.
Ali

I've read many people's opinion of the ALICE pack and no one is enthousiastic about it. I wonder why Mears chooses to use one...

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
i'm doing pretty well on this, i've managed to miss every single episode of the series :eek: :( apart from the one that my wife video'd, but she recorded the wrong channel so i missed that one as well!

IIRC the DVD is due out next month.

cheers and.

Richie

Forager
Feb 3, 2004
North Wales
reinhardt_woets said:
Bagheera good to see you here!

The fungi was described as growing on Birch bark and can be used for sharpening purposes. Isnt this known is dutch as elfenbankje/"the bench of elves"? I believe that it is slightly toxic (SAS Survival Guide) and if true not a good idea to use as plaster. Therefore can someone name the species please?

It's a bracket fungi called Birch Polypore (Piptoporus betulinus), I've never heard of it being toxin per sa and have used it as a strope and astringent before with no problems.

Earth Mother

May 15, 2005
Kent
The first 5 episodes that were broadcast a while back are on that DVD. I'm not sure when the recent 5 will be released - I'm looking forward to it though.
Ali

Nod

Forager
Oct 10, 2003
Land of the Angles
I got an e-mail from the Woodlore shop yesterday.....they are taking advance orders via their website for the DVD now, it's due out 8h June. :)

It has 60 minutes additional footage on it.......just for us :D
Quote "Ray has included: sharpening an axe at camp, looking after your
axe, choosing and using an axe, splitting wood with a saw, how to light a
fire, prepare safe water, using a birch bark canoe, making a container
from birch bark, making a matchbox from birch bark, making a container
from cedar, making a container from ash bark and also contains
information on the snakes found on the lowland heaths of the UK."

How come he never says on the telly........"....and here I am at Thingy Majig Woods, where they let you stay over....with a fire...." Well, I know really why he doesn't, but it would be nice to have the inside knowledge on these lovely places he goes to in the UK. I noticed at the end credits it gave a thank you to the FC so maybe they gave him a special pass ;)

O

oddjob

Nod said:
I noticed at the end credits it gave a thank you to the FC so maybe they gave him a special pass ;)

That's what I reckon, especially having chatted to my old man about the last episode, he's convinced that Ray was in the New Forest for the first bit.

Povarian

Forager
May 24, 2005
High Wycombe, Bucks
oddjob said:
That's what I reckon, especially having chatted to my old man about the last episode, he's convinced that Ray was in the New Forest for the first bit.

Looked a lot like Burnham Beeches (just north-west of Slough) to me.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Yes, that badger set looks exactly like a spot i know in the New Forest. That was my first thought when I saw it. The whole south forest bit really does resemble the New Forest and that would explain the car noises in the background. Next time I'm there I'll check the badger set for Mears' sign!!!! ;)

grahoom

Forager
May 27, 2005
oxford
pathmusick.hermetech.net
Motorbike Man said:
AAARRRGGGHHH!!! we are having some wiered atmospherics at the moment which means I have virtually no BBC 2 reception, I don't suppose anyone recorded Ray Mears tonight did they?

Please :(

dunno if you got the episode or not - but i downloaded it from uknova. its big file, but if you are interested then let me know.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Richie said:
It's a bracket fungi called Birch Polypore (Piptoporus betulinus), I've never heard of it being toxin per sa and have used it as a strope and astringent before with no problems.

Bingo...that's exactly what it is and as you say it's used as a strop. you can also use it as a makeshift plaster if you cut yourself but it is poisonous so don't go munching on it :D

Cheers,

Bam.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE