Ray Mears

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mutley

Forager
May 6, 2005
Reminder that on BBC 2 8pm, Ray Mears is doing his final episode and best of all he is finally doing one in the Mother land! England!

Looking forward to this. Should be able to go to the exact spot he films it and try everything out he does. :)

I think Ray is brilliant how he can really catch his audience, hope it isn't all flash this time, everything packed if you know what I mean.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Eight minutes and counting ;).

Didn't realise it was the last episode, nor that he was in England. Is it just me or is this series quite short? I suppose it takes quite a while to film...

Mutley

Forager
May 6, 2005
Brilliant episode once again. :p

Great to see him do all seasons and loved to see thos badgers and tracking.

Shame it is the last episode. :(

Yggdrasil

May 18, 2005
Stevenage, Hertfordshire.
Every episode i watch, i get hooked straight into the bushcraft frame of mind and afterwards just want to go off for a walk for a week or so. :)
Its a shame psychology revision calls. :eek:
Anyone have any idea as to why he was using his saw mostly instead of the axe this time? i thought it may be to stay quiet.

~yggdrasil~

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
Yggdrasil said:
Every episode i watch, i get hooked straight into the bushcraft frame of mind and afterwards just want to go off for a walk for a week or so. :)
Its a shame psychology revision calls. :eek:
Anyone have any idea as to why he was using his saw mostly instead of the axe this time? i thought it may be to stay quiet.

~yggdrasil~
Because those saws are so damn efficient !!!! :D
Until you've tried one you really wouldn't believe how good they are.

However, it was good to see him using his axe for more subtle tasks such as stripping bark from the willow.

Cheers,

Martin

Yggdrasil

May 18, 2005
Stevenage, Hertfordshire.
I remember seeing the plasters being made from the fungus before from ray mears and have inspected fingi while out in the woods to see if it the right one. unfortunatly im new to bushcraft so wasnt able to identify it.
I love the way there are so many little small uses for everything!

~yggdrasil~

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Now all we need is for them to produce a long playing DVD JUST on British bushcraft skills. More of a 'How To Do/Identify' tutorial type guide. They could flog them from their own site or the usual commercial places. I'm sure it would do well, and doesn't necessarily need TV airing. There's plenty other subject matters that do this kind of DVD successfully. If Mearsy won't do it, then maybe some other school will????

Well????

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
I particularly liked this episode. Not only was it in Britain, but it covered some good, bushcraft. More basic than some other things he has done (made a canoe for example), which is a good thing for me. Also particularly good how he went to Scotland - useful for my trip.

I agree with some British bushcraft skills. He would really capture the audience if it was all more close to home.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Having already read the book,
The visual depiction of some of the finer points brought it all into much sharper focus for me.
As usual, the best was kept till last.

....now then, that DVD......

Ogri the trog

Dec 22, 2004
Ireland
Yggdrasil said:
I presumed it was to have nice clean cuts as he mentioned during the programme, so that the tree can heal better.

It's a nifty little saw and capable of large jobs as well as smaller ones, speaking from experience, even if I did end up chopping through the log in the end. :p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE