Ray Mears

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
It might be my imagination but I can't get over the fact that Ray's gear always seems to be pristine, as if it's just come out of the wrapper!

Even his gaiters were spotless. I keep me gear clean and look after it, because I can't afford to keep replacing it, but it always shows signs of use.

One of the advantages I suppose of corporate sponsorship :rolleyes:

I loved that three quarter jacket he was wearing last night, anyone have an idea what is was?

PeterW

Tenderfoot
Sep 20, 2004
Nottinghamshire
g2-man said:
I presumed it was to have nice clean cuts as he mentioned during the programme, so that the tree can heal better.

It's a nifty little saw and capable of large jobs as well as smaller ones, speaking from experience, even if I did end up chopping through the log in the end. :p

Its a folding Laplander, which Ray sells, but can be bought cheaper from TooledUp.com.... They are OK, but you can bend the locking pin if your not careful.

Scally has been making a sheath for his, which I have yet to see...

Cheers

Peter

Bagheera

Forager
Jan 8, 2004
The Netherlands
home.kabelfoon.nl
Hi guys,

I loved the show and recorded it on hard disk so I can burn it onto a DVD :)

I wonder how that fungus on the birch from which he cut the bandage can help you sharpen your knife?

'm missing the first of the second 5 episodes where Ray builds the birch bark cano, does anybosy have this on an VHS tape? or perhaps on burnt on an DVD?

I would like to get the second 5 program series complete and when the official DVD gets released I will buy that one to have everything on 1 DVD.

Best Scouting wishes,

Bagheera

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
I missed that one with the canoe! Can't remember where I was at the time, but I was slapping myself when I'd realised I'd missed it.

[edit] Just looking at the jacket. He does like expensive stuff doesn't he.

Ryan Woods

Nomad
May 20, 2005
Where my bergan is
Bagheera good to see you here!

The fungi was described as growing on Birch bark and can be used for sharpening purposes. Isnt this known is dutch as elfenbankje/"the bench of elves"? I believe that it is slightly toxic (SAS Survival Guide) and if true not a good idea to use as plaster. Therefore can someone name the species please?

Ryan Woods

Nomad
May 20, 2005
Where my bergan is
Biddlesby said:
I missed that one with the canoe! Can't remember where I was at the time, but I was slapping myself when I'd realised I'd missed it.

[edit] Just looking at the jacket. He does like expensive stuff doesn't he.

No worries, my least fav of the series. Was worth it but I prefer observing skills that can be practiced by the amateur.

Mutley

Forager
May 6, 2005
Just nice to see him in England. :)

Wasn't my favourite episode, I think the Canada one was best, or the Canoe.

Ryan Woods

Nomad
May 20, 2005
Where my bergan is
Oh paddlying through Canada! I had to change my boxers after that :D

But seriously I loved that. Long before that episode was screened that type of holiday was favourite day dreaming topic. Hope to do it this summer...on the German Rhine :rolleyes: .

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
reinhardt_woets said:
Bagheera good to see you here!

The fungi was described as growing on Birch bark and can be used for sharpening purposes. Isnt this known is dutch as elfenbankje/"the bench of elves"? I believe that it is slightly toxic (SAS Survival Guide) and if true not a good idea to use as plaster. Therefore can someone name the species please?

It's the birch polypore also known as razor strop fungus, it's Dutch name is "berkenzwam". It lives on dead or dying birches. It is as far as I know a non-toxic fungus so it can be used safely as plaster.

Earth Mother

May 15, 2005
Kent
Anybody know what rucksack he was carrying for the Autumn section - he used it on "A Walk in the Woods" and I love it!
Ali x

Ryan Woods

Nomad
May 20, 2005
Where my bergan is
Galemys said:
It's the birch polypore also known as razor strop fungus, it's Dutch name is "berkenzwam". It lives on dead or dying birches. It is as far as I know a non-toxic fungus so it can be used safely as plaster.

Thanks! Wrote it down straight away.

Ryan Woods

Nomad
May 20, 2005
Where my bergan is
Earth Mother said:
Anybody know what rucksack he was carrying for the Autumn section - he used it on "A Walk in the Woods" and I love it!
Ali x

You tried his website? www.raymears.com

What suprised me was how he could fit the basha, pots, saw, drill, mat, sleeping bag and bivvie bag is such a small rucksack. Or are we shown elusion of the real bushcraft and there is a 110 parked behind the camera?

Earth Mother

May 15, 2005
Kent
Yeah, it was the old fashioned type and had a round leather logo on the top. This really is a Mary Poppins kind of sac - bigger than it looks! I want one so badly and, unfortunately, it's not on his site. I e-mailed his company and they said he often uses the American Alice Bergen but that isn't the one I have in mind.
Ali

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE