Ray Mears ''Trade Axe'' ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Bet they're on his website

Nope, not yet they're not.

Hi, Having seen Ray's Trade Axe he uses in his Northern Wilderness series,I wanted to know if anyone knows where I could buy one from.
Cheers

I wonder if it's the Gransfor Bruks British trade/belt axe (scroll down past all the other tempting axes :rolleyes:)

british%20trade%20axe.JPG

Cael Nu Mara

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 8, 2008
Highlands
i think it was too shiny for the GB trade axe, my brothers got one and its very light, and The Sainted ones looked a wee bit more chunky however, as ever im probably wrong.

Sam.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I have often thought that these are very handsome axes but have always recoiled at the enormous prices. :eek: Unless I win the lottery, I think I'll stick with my Swedish Carving axe and a knife!

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
there must be a huge benifit for companys and makers of tools whos products are shown on rays TV shows, i wonder how much he gets paid, as its a very effective form of "Advertising". its inevitabe that as soon as Raymond brings out a new series there will be a huge folowing of people queing up for Mears Endorsed Kit.

"If its Good Enough for His Holyness, Its Good Enough For Me"

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Looks like a Snow and Nealley "Hudson Bay Camping axe" to me ..... which would be kinda apropriate!
See them at www.red-deer.co.uk
No assoc etc

That looks more like it John.

Snow&NealleyHudsBaySmall.jpg

Having said that it is a very common axe head shape and not so far away from the Argos axe which used to be a bargain but is now up to £12.99, needs a good regrind or work with a file but then is an excellent axe. Lidl sometimes have a very similar axe for £5

94-7001545SPA71UC551247X.jpg

And also very similar to an axe head that I very commonly find at car boots.

IMG_7675.jpg

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38842&highlight=handle

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
Nice one,it looks like the Snow and Nealley - Penobscot Bay Kindling Axe to me,Many thanks
I shall be buying one of those,and getting someone to make a straight Handle for it.
Cheers

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
there must be a huge benifit for companys and makers of tools whos products are shown on rays TV shows, i wonder how much he gets paid, as its a very effective form of "Advertising". its inevitabe that as soon as Raymond brings out a new series there will be a huge folowing of people queing up for Mears Endorsed Kit.

"If its Good Enough for His Holyness, Its Good Enough For Me"

Not sure how the BBC handle stuff like this now. It used to be a big no no.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Well, it's not like they've got full-on product placement shots, with the logo prominently displayed. It's only nutters like us that look closely enough to figure out what he's using, and even then there's often some doubt about it - as this thread illustrates. I don't recall him name-checking brands at all...

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Same as the awls and crook knifes that he uses during the series.

No mention of them really specifically but he's got them up for sale on his site knowing folks like us might buy them :rolleyes:

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
Theres no doubt that he does however generate a fair ammount of profitable intrest im the products he uses in his shows, im sure he doesnt just choose them because they look nice, there has to be some inside deal here, i mean he runs a buisness.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE