Ray Mears - Spyderco collaboration

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kawasemi

May 27, 2009
Where the path takes me
Not really the traditional type of bushcraft folder you would expect :rolleyes:

Ray has collaborated with Sal at Spyderco to produce a high tech, high spec folder....a world away from the hammered blades of Julius Petersson, or the bushcraft friction folders that are currently popular from Ben Orford and Chris Caine.

It is in the 2016 Spyderco catalogue - page 71 (link - http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/request.php - click on the catalogue image)

Scandi ground with a compression lock. Made by Spyderco at their US Golden plant means it will be a seriously good quality knife (Woodlore have chosen well by going with Spyderco - the company service and quality is superb. Sal, the owner, is a regular on BritishBlades). Handle cut out is interesting and it looks like it is designed for right-handers. It is a safe bet that it will command a three figure price tag - £200+ would not surprise me.

I know that for me the lock is a little niggle - ref. UK carry laws, but that does not need to figure, of course, if you have a reason for carry or you are a regular fixed blade user on your bushcrafting jaunts.

I have to confess, however, I do rate Spydercos and I have been looking for a companion knife to sit with my Spydersaw on forays in the countryside....could this be the one :confused:

K

...I'm kind of hoping so in an excited sort of way :p

Last edited:

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
The lock would also be a bit of an issue for me. While i do prefer a locking blade over a slipjoint, i prefer my folders to be UK legal.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Doesn't strike me as a knife I would use or want to be honest - if I am into having to justify the knife, then I'll take a fixrd blade. The handle looks angular and uncomfortable, I've never liked the hole in Spyderco blades and the price puts me off for a factory knife.

Thanks for letting us know about it, but we can't all like the same things

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I am with Mr Red on this one - again!
All in all it is just not my kind of knife ... but I guess others will love it! :)

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
I think Rays' products webshop in the like 1999 were really essential, pure and inspirational. He put Gransfors in the picture (glad he did that) and highlighted and sold nice stuf like the Swanndri Ranger shirt.
The Ray Meas Woodlore knife really made sense and gave new (old proven) perfective on scandi grind and carbon steel and classic natural designs.
Personally his shop lately (last couple of years losts itself to much in gadgets and high tech outdoor gear.
No same with this. Not my cup of tea. A shame his lefts his "old faith". But thats just my opiniion.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
That's a knife with no soul, even with uncle Ray's involvement.
Edit.. Wait, I was looking at a different knife. Hmmmm... Maybe it will have an audience.
Edit.. HOW MUCH !
I'll stick with a Mora.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
I am a recent Spyderco convert, I own a few, but I still find some of their designs a complete none starter, and this is another one.

Definitely an own goal i'm afraid, and I am surprised at the outcome if Mr Mears has had input :confused:

oslodunc

Jul 23, 2010
Lillesand, NO
I understand not everyone has a use for this knife but can´t see a problem with design. Another folder. looks ok to me. Interested to see what price they come up with.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
I couldn't find any but this on Spyderco site. http://m.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=609

This is scraped from the .pdf version of their 2016 catalog:

wolfspyder_zpsbc9xurqb.png

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I am a recent Spyderco convert, I own a few, but I still find some of their designs a complete none starter, and this is another one.

Definitely an own goal i'm afraid, and I am surprised at the outcome if Mr Mears has had input :confused:

Hm - another of his designs that is somewhat "Marmite" - like his Wilkinson Sword Survival knife design....
Some folk like 'em - I do not (I like Marmite though:) )

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I don't understand the purpose of this knife. Sure, it will help line the pockets of Ray Mears PLC and Spyderco but what question does this knife answer? And a Scandi grind on a folder! Makes about as much sense as an anchor on a bicycle. I'm sure it's well made though.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I don't understand the purpose of this knife. Sure, it will help line the pockets of Ray Mears PLC and Spyderco but what question does this knife answer? And a Scandi grind on a folder! Makes about as much sense as an anchor on a bicycle. I'm sure it's well made though.

kawasemi

May 27, 2009
Where the path takes me

Sal has given some input on the BB forum. His words...Ray designed the pattern, we (Spyderco) helped with the mechanics.

K

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE