Spyderco Wolfspyder review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

xavierdoc

Apr 5, 2006
SW Wales
Warning- some hunting pics behind spoiler tabs, below.

A review of the Ray Mears designed Spyderco Wolfspyder

This knife had a lot of appeal:

1. I like Spyderco's compression lock

2. I have an irrational fondness for Scandi grinds

3. I like knives that date to be "different" (up to a point)

On un-boxing, the knife seemed a little smaller than I'd envisaged, but immediately likeable.

In hand

Not a “zero” scandi grind- there was a secondary edge micro-bevel

I put a (crude) “true” scandi edge on it and whittled a couple of try-sticks/trap triggers:

Carves beautifully with the zero edge but it may not hold up, being a stern test of micro-chipping in relatively high carbide steels:

Roughing out a serving spoon type thing:

Feather stick

A rather wonky spatula/spoon with hanger

Bit of a hot spot where the curved part of handle sits:

Beware: dead animal/hunting pics behind link below:

Rabbit hunting

Paunched rabbits, including hand-batoning the H-bone (pubic ramus) without edge damage:

Rabbit prep and butchery

Squirrels:

Continued...

Reactions: CLEM and Athos

xavierdoc

Apr 5, 2006
SW Wales
Continued...

Food prep (scandi grinds never great for this):

It’s a bit small for big onions:

You can see where the sliced carrot has split due to the angle of the bevel/thickness of the blade, compared to a kitchen knife:

Rabbit Stew ready:

A very likeable knife that excels at wood carving, is adequate for game prep but not ideal for slicing veg:

The true zero scandi edge I put on has held up fine. The factory edge with the micro bevel would have been even more robust, but would compromise that exceptional carving/whittling prowess of the zero grind.

Overall, I think this is an excellent folder for those who want/like a Scandi grind. A full flat grind would suit most people's needs better but there are miriad alternative choices for them.

Recommended.

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
Nice review bud! I had one but had to return it due to some blade play. Something I’ve not experienced with any other spydie compression locks. An updated version is set to be released this year according to woodlore so may try again.

Reactions: CLEM and xavierdoc

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Great review! I found similar hot spots from Spyderco handles - they just aren't the right knife for me, the square edge of the scales rubs me. I'm sure others don't have the problem given their popularity

Reactions: xavierdoc

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
I disliked it so much that I gave it away a long time ago ;)

It didn't seem honourable to take money for a tool that I felt was poorly made
I like mine, I don't get to use it much, but as a pocket folding scandi it is quite nice, and the closest you can get to a Enzo pk70...my grail knife. Does anyone have a Enzo pk70 going?

James Popham

Dec 25, 2003
Central Croatia
I lost the tip of mine making a bow drill divot in some old ivy, not covered by warranty. I was gutted I have to say. After that i modified mine slightly, basically I wanted to choke up more on the blade even though it’s small So I took the handle in a bit by the blade and added a thumb divot.

Attachments

• IMG_5872.jpeg
    IMG_5872.jpeg
    258.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5875.jpeg
    IMG_5875.jpeg
    220.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5868.jpeg
    IMG_5868.jpeg
    248.7 KB · Views: 19

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE