Ray Mears Goes Walkabout - Your Views

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I totally disagree.:p

One of the things that makes this forum so successful is the huge range of interests,skills,knowledge and experience of the participants.

There are almost as many "kinds of bushcrafter" as there are members here.

From the young bucks who can sleep on a length of paracord strung between two trees to the older,possibly infirm person who manages to get out for an hour every now and again.

The thing that unites the various disparate types is the love of getting out and being part of the countryside.

Some of like to have the latest gear;some like to use as little as possible;some can afford hundreds of knives;some struggle to afford a Mora.

No one is a "better bushcrafter" than the next person just because their way of enjoying themselves is different.

Living with nature and doing no damage is the thing that we are all aiming for,I hope.

Sounds good to me. I don't care how much or how often people get out, how dedicated people are, whether they sleep out under a tarp every night or go to a camp ground once a year. I just enjoy the exchange of knowledge from a variety of people, many of whom don't even agree with me on some subjects. All the different skills, interests and knowledge are what makes this an interesting place to be.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
At a shooting club I was once told by a chap that I didn't attend regularly enough to be a "proper shooter". Didn't stop me winning top prize at the competition though!

You have to take your bushcraft where you can find it, in the woods, the back yard, the shed or even the spare room. You're really only limited by your own mind!

Now, to get back on topic, I can't wait to order the DVD's so I can go through the series properly and really sift out the gems in there!

Dave

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
At a shooting club I was once told by a chap that I didn't attend regularly enough to be a "proper shooter". Didn't stop me winning top prize at the competition though!

You have to take your bushcraft where you can find it, in the woods, the back yard, the shed or even the spare room. You're really only limited by your own mind!

Now, to get back on topic, I can't wait to order the DVD's so I can go through the series properly and really sift out the gems in there!

Dave

I have already got it on back order with play.com (the cheapest I have found so far) :D

I am actually really enjoying it. I like the mix of history, bushcraft and anthropology and I think that Ray is trying to do something a bit different as he has done most of the Bushcraft, over and over again. And it might attract new people to the subject.

Just how many times can he show the bow drill etc.

Like many fokes I found some of the editing very, very annoying!

Bob

Forager
Sep 11, 2003
Dorset
As regards the editing - there's nothing new under the sun!

Just take a look at some of the early 'Tracks' stuff and guess what you'll see - split screens and multi-shots!!

Just for the record - I'm enjoying the series!

Bob:)

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
As regards the editing - there's nothing new under the sun!

I'm trying to remember if Bush Tucker Man had similar visuals and music as beng it was just that episode I thought it might have been a nod in that direction.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
I'm trying to remember if Bush Tucker Man had similar visuals and music as beng it was just that episode I thought it might have been a nod in that direction.

if you watch the btm series and their evolution its rm 10-20 years early. no wonder they got on rm nicked lh's playbook :)

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
Which wristwatch is he wearing on Walkabout? Looks like some kind of diver...

PS Just saw him failing at making fire.... :eek: :eek: :eek:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Ah - the boy has come a long way since I first encountered him!
Jun1590.jpg

Twoflower

Nomad
May 11, 2007
Northants
Most enjoyable programme this evening (just watched it on iplayer).
It's always good to learn about the history of various things, rock art included. What was even more enjoyable was seeing the failed firelighting and a disposable lighter being used, though I have a feeling the prices of pink disposable lighters has just rocketed :(

Anyone know what blood group Ray is so i can copy him? :D

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Must admit that the last was the best for me.
No distracting "image-in-image" arty shots, sound-track was good and the topic was new and refreshing - kept my attention throughout the program.
Just a pity that there aren't any more in the series.

ATB

Ogri the trog

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I loved this programe. Jujus artwork was great, and I have a love of rock art, its great to see it so passionately presented. We normally get some presenter, if they look at rock art at all, to dissect it from an archeological point of view which is often condescending eg 'perhaps this man here is a human sacrifice, and these people were thought to be spirits by the primatives who painted them' I think the boats and the footprints show us that rock art was often just a way of expressing, not just simply something of religious significance. And Well done Ray for conveying it so passionately. Now who was it who said he was boring as a presenter? ;)

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
I thought this was kind of interesting, ray seemed very happy and enthusiastic and that was nice to see. Not really bushcraft driving around in a land rover all the time, but it was interesting non the less.

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
Not really bushcraft driving around in a land rover all the time, but it was interesting non the less.

I totally agree, but the scale of the land (continent!) makes anything else (other than flying) impractical in terms of TV production in this format I guess...

And driving around in a Landrover in the desert can be fun :p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE