Ray Mears Goes Walkabout - Your Views

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
TBH, who cares, i dont, i think the series so far has been great and the "arty fa***y stuff" doesn't really bother me one iota, the guy takes the initiative to try something a bit different with the presentation and gets slated for it, the series is about expanding your horizons and knowledge of the world, if you dont like the way RM has presented it and you really find it that annoying, then to me it's quite simple - dont watch it, im sure RM won't mind losing a dozen or so viewers.

Maver,

The title of the thread is Ray Mears Goes Walkabout - Your Views so that's exactly what people have given, their views both good and bad. If those annoying multi angle shots don't bother you then fine but us old farts like to moan about that kind of shenanigans :D

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
No mate, you have not. I just thought that it's interesting that this is actually listed under 'Ray Mears' on e-Bay and in the description it says that Ray Mears does not appear in it. It's a tenuous link to try and move on some pirated DVD's of one bloke under anothers name and all because there was a programme on featuring both. Dodgy to say the least.

Heh-heh! That's right cheeky, that is!

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
snip - I found both the backing music and the bizarre multi shots with several scenes in one frame quite annoying.

You missed me off those snips. :D From this thread it does look like the majority didn't like the multi shots. It was my only criticism, I did enjoy it and will probably watch it again very soon.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
You missed me off those snips. :D From this thread it does look like the majority didn't like the multi shots. It was my only criticism, I did enjoy it and will probably watch it again very soon.

Sorry Neil, will try harder next time:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D :D

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Well - I DO care!
The arty farty stuff makes it unpleasant to watch IMHO detracting from the content of an otherwise good prog, adding nothing to the prog except difficulties and a tick in the editors "I showed that I can hit the distort/multi image button on the computer" box on the check sheet of 1960s editing techniques.:D
OK maybe RM does not need me to watch him, but I would like to be able to watch RM andnot be distracted!:Wow:

elevenses

Forager
Jan 7, 2008
cheshire
Ok I can see I am not the only one on this subject and I really really felt like ranting on the night. who ever decided to do the arty camera work with the multi shots and wobbling need to go in a quiet corner and have a word with themselves or go back to school !!!

.............. RANT OVER

some ok music though :D

Steve27752

Settler
May 7, 2007
Berkshire, U.K.
TBH, who cares, i dont, i think the series so far has been great and the "arty fa***y stuff" doesn't really bother me one iota, the guy takes the initiative to try something a bit different with the presentation and gets slated for it, the series is about expanding your horizons and knowledge of the world, if you dont like the way RM has presented it and you really find it that annoying, then to me it's quite simple - dont watch it, im sure RM won't mind losing a dozen or so viewers.

Whoa wind your neck in matey,
If you read my post you will see that I said the programme is the best thing that I have seen in a long time, or words to that effect.
The only part that I was not keen on was the split screen. You cannot get better than the Bush tucker Man AND Ray Mears in one programme.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Whoa wind your neck in matey,
If you read my post you will see that I said the programme is the best thing that I have seen in a long time, or words to that effect.
The only part that I was not keen on was the split screen. You cannot get better than the Bush tucker Man AND Ray Mears in one programme.

Oh yeah, what about Bush tucker man, Ray Mears AND Bear Grylls!!!

Think about it....

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Just caught the programme this evening, having been away at a convention over the weekend. There are only two shows I watch on the telly at the moment, Doctor Who and Ray Mears, so I'm definitely behind it in terms of subject, content and overall quality. Mostly a joy to watch.

The pop tunes were mostly lovely... and should never have been included in the show. Entirely out of place, inappropriate, distracting, they simply didn't fit in any way. Trying to see what was going on with those tiny "multi-shot" sequences was too much for a combination of my old eyes and a fourteen inch telly, nor did having several things to look at add anything positive to the presentation that I could see. And the Beeb still insist on squishing the closing credits down into a corner.

Grumpy old sod routine over, there was much to love and seeing two really knowledgeable professionals in their element was an absolute joy. Pity the series is so short :(

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Three IS a crowd, thats why the formula would work. They could set bear up in situations and see how he handles them.

I agree in general that the multi screen shots didn't add much except for the arty appearance, although I personally thought they were of some use when he was explaining about the differences found in mozi nets.

As for the multi exposure bit, I agree very nauseating.

However, in the main I am thoroughly enjoying the series and its content.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I liked the episode a lot,
I even liked the multi-exposure bit, got across the idea of the "sameness" of every direction the airmen were facing and the disorientation/anxiety feeling. Good series so far...

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Of course, my comments were made as my own perspective on the programme. Out of an hour long programme, i found a few moments of it a bit distracting and I'm taken to task on it! The fact that so many share the same opinion of the multi screen carp doesn't mean the programme was any worse for it. In fact, I reckon it is possibly one of the best programmes I've ever seen, maybe the Last River Rat would beat it though. For episode two, he has pulled it back from what for me was an OK start to the series.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE