ray mears for uk honour

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Don’t be put off, lots of people don’t rate Ray as it is fashionable to knock successful people or people who get paid to do their chosen hobby that the envious like to think they could do better.

I find that mildly offensive. Envy isnt driving my opinion, I just dont think he fits the award criteria. Whomever else has won them in the past and how deserving they are is beside the point.

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
LOL!!!!!

I think MM should get an award for the posts in this thread! :D ! lol pure quality!!

I think its creepy too you will be stealing his pants off his washing line next! ;)

But thanks reading this has made my day at work almost bearable!! lol ;)

you could make a `corricle` out of his undercrackers perhaps !!:rolleyes::D

leon-1

If people were to award Ray with Honours then others would also have to be honoured.

John Wiseman, as a serviceman served his country, has taught to civilian and military alike. He has written books (SAS Survival Handbook published 1986) and raised the profile of his art / craft on television as well as being advisor for a number of television shows.

Eddie McGee, also as a serviceman served his country, he set up the national survival school many years ago and as an author wrote one of the must reads for survival in "No Need To Die" Published in 1979. Post leaving the armed forces and whilst a civilian his help was enlisted in the tracking down of Barry Prudom, an act that put him in harms way (for the greater good) and that he was never paid for. Unfortunately Eddie passed away in 2002.

Big Geordie

Nomad
Jul 17, 2005
Bonny Scotland
I'd support the plan to nominate Ray. He's made a great contribution to our element of society which is ample reason. I also think it would p##s off Jeremy Clarkson!
Been away and a bit busy for a while, did I miss anything?:lmao:
George

3 cheers for Ray!!!! But having thought long and hard - I can't think of any plausable reason for him to get any form of "Gong". He is well paid and is fortuante enough to be able to front his own company whilst being employed by various TV stations !!! Great exposure :D
Beckham got his for doing his mighty well paid job....kicking a bag of air about, even better exosure.

WoodMan

Forager
Jan 18, 2008
Norfolk
sounds fair enough, not many of us get medals just for doing what we chose and are paid for.

I find the 'just' in that sentence mildly offensive. In two or three weeks time, you will see servicemen both young and old on our streets proudly wearing their medals and remembering their friends both alive and dead. I think you will find that they consider what they do/did to be a bit more than a job. Glyn.

RichardIT

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Moon
I haven't read this thread, but I just wanted to say that I think that one of the greatest assets of ray's work is that it has made ALOT of people realise that being in connection with nature is in itself a positive health behaviour; that it is good for human's mental health.

Basha72

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2006
Torbay
If people were to award Ray with Honours then others would also have to be honoured.

John Wiseman, as a serviceman served his country, has taught to civilian and military alike. He has written books (SAS Survival Handbook published 1986) and raised the profile of his art / craft on television as well as being advisor for a number of television shows.

Eddie McGee, also as a serviceman served his country, he set up the national survival school many years ago and as an author wrote one of the must reads for survival in "No Need To Die" Published in 1979. Post leaving the armed forces and whilst a civilian his help was enlisted in the tracking down of Barry Prudom, an act that put him in harms way (for the greater good) and that he was never paid for. Unfortunately Eddie passed away in 2002.

Couldn't agree more, The likes of Lofty and Eddie did not really get the praise and money that Ray and the Bear have had and still get more so Ray for passing on their Knowledge, I bet Ray has a copy of Loftys and Eddies books on his shelf from when he first started to learn the Art !

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
I haven't read this thread, but I just wanted to say that I think that one of the greatest assets of ray's work is that it has made ALOT of people realise that being in connection with nature is in itself a positive health behaviour; that it is good for human's mental health.

This!

He got me into this thing of ours through watching his little segments on BBC Tracks and then going on to host his own shows. His exposure on TV of Bushcraft and his talks and books do something positive for society. It makes us aware of nature and our place within it. Yes, he's made a career out of it and some money along the way but you can't begrudge a fella for earning a living doing what he loves. Unless of course that fella is Edward Grylls!

Give Ray his gong!

whilst i can understand the basic ideas behind the first question and thread, i would even go so far as saying yes to rays gong, but as a person who is a lot older and there fore knows more about the people before,

i would have said that lofty has saved more lives with his training than ray ever would and should get a medal first, i doubt that he would take it anyway and it was lofty that taught bear or does no one else realise that?

and eddie was one of the biggest lunatic going, you could learn so much from him even over a cup of cha that you either had to take notes or just let you head explode with the knowledge he used to throw at you.

to realy thrive out in a bad conditions you need to have a great imagination to see what can be made from whats in front of you and Eddie had by far the best i have ever seen, and i remember the Barry Prudom stuff on the telly, quite amazing what he was able to do,

even to this day i still used Eddie as a bench mark for someones skills in the woods

if you wanted to ray could be seen as a visable face of bush craft in the modern world , but thats not enough for a gone is it

i meet lofty several times all after he was out of service i think, the last time it was something to do with a survival shop or such like a friend arranged a weekend away for us down south near the smoke and he was there. I belive he was doing courses at the time, when we meet him his was just at the camp for the day , mainly mucking about enjoying himself , looking and laughing at peoples kit and calling us idiots for buying tat etc. lovely bloke but does not mince his words,can be very sharp to some,, aparently a lot worse when working for the army!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE