ray mears for uk honour

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Not a good idea to leave a full address like that on open show, mods should remove it and you can give it via PM to interested parties.

OliveDrabnotDPM

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 11, 2007
North Yorkshire
If anyone is any good at writing and would like to draft / compose a letter that would be general yet specific enough to apply to many people, I would be more than happy to put my name to it. It's just that I'm not that good with words. Unless I've got a LOOOOOOONG time to think and write it!
Duncan

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
If anyone is any good at writing and would like to draft / compose a letter that would be general yet specific enough to apply to many people, I would be more than happy to put my name to it. It's just that I'm not that good with words. Unless I've got a LOOOOOOONG time to think and write it!
Duncan
I second that. How about a general letter from the forum with us all to put our names too?

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
What are the criteria for getting honoured?

It varies depending on the honour in question, only the Queen can select individuals for the order of the garter, thistle and a few others. Prospective recipients of OBE's, MBE's etc. are selected from suggestions supplied by parts of the government, public organizations (The Scouts etc.) and members of the public.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I would think if you're garnering support to get someone honoured then you probably need to understand why you think they deserve an honour.I'm not saying RM does or doesn't. That it'self could be a 'hot' topic. But I think you need to state why.The following link explains the process and some of the criteria..http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governm...overnment/Honoursawardsandmedals/DG_067917I'm not sure if a campaign Via a social media site ( which BCUK is) would sway the process...CheersJohn

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Hate to be a kill joy, but what exactly has he done to deserve an honour? Here on a bushcraft forum it may seem like he is the be all and end all. But many folk in the country haven't even heard of him. He doesn't do charity work as such, he doesn't do things for others unless they pay an over inflated fee for the pleasure. In truth he is a smalltime business man and not very well known TV personality outside of the bushcraft world.

Not trying to cause a debate, just putting things into perspective.

For whats it worth i would write a letter too, as he has provided some inspiration over the years. :)

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Well, why not honour the bloke? He's raised the profile of our preferred activity/profession, introduced a number of us to it as well as raised interest in the British wildlife and countryside. It's easy to then point the finger and say that he has 'done alright' out of it or pick holes in some of his stances, approaches or even techniques but, ultimately, he has given bushcraft a public face and a more instant recognition and acceptance from a broad community. It's then up to the individual to decide whether that merits recognition by the royal family.

Try saying "Mears" and "MBE" without going "Mmmmmm...."!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE