Ray And Ewan Mcgregor In The Jungle (trips Money Can't Buy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
FROM WOODLORE MAILSHOT

RAY AND EWAN MCGREGOR IN THE JUNGLE (TRIPS MONEY CAN'T BUY)
We are pleased to announce that the BBC are repeating the Jungle trip where Ray took Ewan McGregor for an experience of a lifetime!

This programme is advertised as Ray Mears' Adventure Special and will be on BBC2 Sunday 11th July at 9pm.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I enjoyed watching this again last night. Maybe I didn't catch it all last time but it didn't seem exactly the same, maybe I just got more out of it this time.

It did look like very hard going, condensing 10 days into an hour of TV must be hard going and just couldn't really portray the hardship of the whole endeavour. I'm well impressed with Ewan, to go from doing hardly any physical activity to that must take a lot of grit, I couldn't do it.

All in all a good bit of TV...and it's always good to see MR Mears in action!

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Excellent program.... Its not often you get me glued to the TV for an hour. I know what you mean about condensing 10 days into an hour program.... it really didn't do the jungle justice..... its so much more 'alive' than you see on tv.

:)
Ed

MarkG

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 4, 2004
Wednesbury, West Mids
I'm sure there was more last time I saw it. Ewan went of on a mad one and started slashing around in the jungle. And didn't one of the guides kill a spider monkey?

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Heh-heh! Ewan's face was a picture - all credit to him but I have never seen anyone so relieved as that before when that helicopter pitched up at the end! :eek:):

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
I hadn't seen the program before last night so I didn't know what to expect, I guess I thought we would see more of Ray as it was titled Ray Mears adventure special and i was disappointed in that, but it was still very interesting insight into how briefly educated people can still make it in the jungle, It was good that no help was offered to Ewan otherwise it would have been less than an adventure. In my opinion anyway.

hobbitboy

Forager
Jun 30, 2004
Erm... it's variable
Did anyone think Ewan came acroos as slightly tapped? Mainly due to his glances to the camera and slightly psychotic laff? He impressed me tho, he came off as a sound bloke :super: (in my opinion anyway) and has improved my opinion of "celebrities". maybe its only b-list celebrities who hate the jungle (i'm a celebrity get me out of here.....)

boaty

Nomad
Sep 29, 2003
Bradford, W. Yorks
www.comp.brad.ac.uk
While it's nice to have programs like this on the telly, I found it unsatisfactorily bitty.

Not enough Ray Mears telling us about the jungle. Not enough bushcraft techniques. Not enough about Ewan McGregor and his personal odyssey in the jungle. Not enough archaeology. It really needed to be a mini series!

I felt just the same way about the programme when Ray visited the Evenk people - fascinating but all too short

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
i didn't see it this time round, but i had it on video from a previous airing.

ewan came up with a great explanation of jungle trekking, "it's like walking on a conveyor with somebody throwing mud and sticks at your feet"

the first time i watched it, i saw ray pass ewan the hot chocolate he'd brewed in an aluminium mug by way of a practical joke, i told ewan not to drink out of it but he didn't listen...... :eek:):

all in all i thought he did bleedin' well.

cheers, and.

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Summary: Ray Mears and Ewan McGregor programme on BBC2 next Wed at 8pm.
(except viewers in Scotland, as far as I can tell).

Well talk about cracking an egg into a toaster and an omelette popping out :D

I thought, what with the new "Dave" channel (if you have Freeview it will either be
on channel 12 if you've not retuned your box, or channel 19 if you have - I think)

scheduled to show World of Survival among other series, I'd have a look and see
what's on, via http://www.radiotimes.com

Sure enough both Bushcraft and World of Survival are on from Sat 20th but so
is Ray Mears and Ewan McGregor: Extreme Jungle on BBC2...
(but not in Scotland).

I think this is also known as "Trips money can't buy".

So for those in N. Ireland, Wales (and I presume England but my setting only
shows me London & S. East) it's showing on Wed 24 Oct 2007 at 8pm
VIDEO Plus+: 2231

"Survival Expert Ray Mears takes actor Ewan McGregor deep into the Honduran Jungle
in search of a lost civilisation. Ray is no soft option travelling companion - he tests
people to the utmost in the wild. After just a few basic lessons in survival they set off
to face everything the jungle can throw at them."

(Radiotimes site is temporarily unavailable but I've checked it here:
http://uk-tv-guide.com/list/BBC 2 London/24+October+2007)

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
Summary: Ray Mears and Ewan McGregor programme on BBC2 next Wed at 8pm.
(except viewers in Scotland, as far as I can tell).
Why does that not surprise me. When BBC2 were showing Ray Mears Bushcraft up here for the first time you could buy it on DVD and the BBC still had the last two episodes to show.:eek: :(

I have email the BBC to try and find out if it will be shown in Scotland.

Now off to phone some friends with a DVD recorder and Sky tv just in case.

For those of you in Scotland with Sky tv.
Sky Channels
989 BBC2 England
991 BBC2 Wales
992 BBC2 NI

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
I know what you mean! Especially given that one of the presenters is from the area ;)

Good luck with emailing the BBC - it may of course be repeated up there a week later,
they've been doing that with Wild Food I think, sometimes.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE