Ray And Ewan Mcgregor In The Jungle (trips Money Can't Buy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Twoflower

Nomad
May 11, 2007
Northants
Iain, not sure if this is any good for you (and others way up there) but if you have realplayer then you may be able to get bbc2 streaming via their multicast service (if it's still up).

http://support.bbc.co.uk/multicast/rams/uni/bbc2.ram
That link will open realplayer (as far as I know).
Incidently, I can't find anywhere on the BBC site that advertises this, I found it through another forum.

hth

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
It's not getting shown on BBC2 Scotland Wed 24th Oct

Anyone going to record this on a DVD recorder, I'll pay for postage and send back the DVD plus a couple more blanks for the trouble taken.
PM me.

PM sent - I've copied it onto a DVD for you so just need your address. If any of you other Scots folk want a copy, send me a PM. I can't do too many copies, but if there's just a few of you...

This was a really good program. Decent people, behaving decently, no swearing, no conflict. A real refreshing change to the mass of dross that gets pumped into our living rooms. :soapbox:

Geoff

ganstey

Settler
I missed the first 10 minutes sorting out Wild Gourmets for Dougster :( Switched over just in time to see RM demonstrating the Eventk(sp?) hitch. The best explanation I've seen. I've looked at a few websites showing how it should be done, but couldn't get my head around it. Hopefully the BBC will repeat it on one of their other channels in a few days so that I can record it. :banghead:
G

StJon

Nomad
May 25, 2006
Largs
The reason it wasn't shown in Scotland was that we had Dave MacLeod climbing Hells Lumb. Great this man is my new hero...

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Switched over just in time to see RM demonstrating the Eventk(sp?) hitch. The best explanation I've seen.

He must train his staff well. The demonstration RM gave was identical to the one I was given on a Woodlore course earlier this year by one of the other Woodlore instructors

Geoff

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
Anyone know what knot he did at the other end of the tarp ridge? Also what do you/RM use to keep the tarp taut at the ends?

Chris

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
I recall reading an article about it when it was first shown and a comment from Ewan along the lines of, "There was one point when I was cold, wet and fed up and I just lost it and stormed off into the jungle slashing at anything in reach with my machete. After a while I went back to camp and Ray, calm as anything, asked me if I'd seen any of the 15 deadly poisonous snakes and spiders that could have bitten me, not to mention the Jaguars!"

Classic!

I've just finished reading "Long Way Round" where he and Charlie Boorman rode around the world on a couple of BMW bikes. Very good book and Ewan comes across as a very regular guy - definitely not a "Luvvie."

Looking forward to "Long Way Down" on the telly next week!

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Anyone know what knot he did at the other end of the tarp ridge? Also what do you/RM use to keep the tarp taut at the ends?

Chris

This question may well be answered on other postings on this forum, but the knots I learned at Woodlore are also shown in this link: http://www.outdooridiots.com/features/200606/pitchingatarp/pitchingatarp4.asp#PageIndex (I have no connection with this web site). I'm sure that this isn't the only way, but this is the way that Woodlore teach.

Geoff

ganstey

Settler
This question may well be answered on other postings on this forum, but the knots I learned at Woodlore are also shown in this link: http://www.outdooridiots.com/features/200606/pitchingatarp/pitchingatarp4.asp#PageIndex (I have no connection with this web site). I'm sure that this isn't the only way, but this is the way that Woodlore teach.

Geoff

Thanks for that link. I think I understand it now, just need to give it a go. It looks so cool when its done properly :cool:

As for the other end, I'm sure RM mentioned a taut line hitch, or maybe I'm getting confused with the A-Z clips I've been watching :confused:

G

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
As for the other end, I'm sure RM mentioned a taut line hitch, or maybe I'm getting confused with the A-Z clips I've been watching :confused:

G

The link gives all of the knots needed for hanging a tarp and (I think) information on how to pack it away as well: the Evenk; the variously named tarp taut hitch for the other end; the Prussik for keeping the tarp tight along the ridgeline, etc. I think there's also an article on BCUK about hanging a tarp, but I haven't looked at it to see if it is the same as RM's method.

Tying the Evenk looks really slick when done properly (which is probably why they showed it on the TV), the tarp taut is a bit more messy, but effective.

Geoff

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Of course, you can tie your ridge line at both ends with the evenk knot. Then, when your tarp prusiks are done up tight, you get a loose ridge line, over the top of the tarp. If you put this under your tarp, you can hang stuff off of it!

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Really enjoyed that. Delighted to see the Royal Geographical Society featuring and
I rather liked the determination to keep going despite the sound guy getting drenched
and then the main camera pinging out of action. What inner reserves of fortitude
these people must have!

I'd have been stomping my feet and crying well before then! Ewan was brilliant and
seemed to take everything in his stride. Ray was utterly unfazed by either minor or
major changes to the plan when things went a bit wrong - I was very impressed.

It was over far too soon though - I could quite happily have watched an extended
remix, although perhaps footage was thin on the ground given the camera woes.

They really should show it much more often on terrestrial television - it had comedy,
rain, drama, stoicism, more rain and beautiful surroundings and was an hour well spent
in front of the box.

Great stuff!!

(I know the first knot off by heart now, I think, but not the second)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
(I know the first knot off by heart now, I think, but not the second)

If you ever make it to the same meet as me, I'll show you all three knots required to secure your tarp. Offer is open to all in fact, so if you want to learn at Middlewood, give me a shout. I'll bring loads of string!

:D

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
If I ever do, I will take you up on that :)

I can do all the knots, just have to keep rewinding the video on YouTube (not the RM/EM
one - someone, Pablo I think? published a rather helpful guide which got me through the
worst of it!) to get the other one, but the Evenk one I think is actually quite easy although
I imagined it to be very fiddly at first, but it seems to come quite naturally.

Probably I should be good at knots the amount of celticy knotwork patterns I've played
around with courtesy of George Bain's magnificent book. If only it was that simple in 3d
though!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE