Getting early Ray Mears series released?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
I'd still like to see the earlier stuff released from the BBC vaults, either as DVDs or as
video downloads from the BBC shop. Have we given up on this? I've not sent a letter
for a while but now seems a good time to try another push. Partly I want to see the
programmes anyway and partly I'm a bit bloody minded about seeing it through!

Specifically I mean any or all of:
  • Country Tracks / Tracks
  • Essential Guide to Rocks (added in edit)
  • World of Survival
  • Real Heroes of Telemark
but I'd be quite happy to see the 'Trips money can't buy' with Ewan McGregor too.

I wrote in a previous thread about a pledge posted to "PledgeBank" by someone who
wanted to see an earlier series of a Mitchell and Webb comedy show released on CD
and it seems they were successful.
http://www.pledgebank.com/Mitchell-W
(previous thread: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12244)

This would seem to be a good idea as anyone can sign up, rather than having it as a
BcUK forum only sort of thing - or a Facebook group :D

Also I've mentioned in several threads that the BBC shop now makes available some
of its programmes via paid-for download, which would seem to be a very easy way of
accessing programmes. A series of Bruce Parry's Tribe is available in this way.

There is plenty of tangible evidence for the BBC that Ray and his programmes are
extremely popular (I mean - they must have noticed!) so I can't take seriously the idea
that they might think there's no market for this, unless anyone can think of a reason
that I'm missing? The BARB viewing figures for Wild Food were very good for example,
not to mention the fact that many of the venues for the autumn tour are now sold out.

So... if I created some sort of pledge-type thing and cleared it with Tony and Woodlore,
would you sign it?

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I certainly would Jodie,
it was watching mearsy on tracks that got me into BC in the first place, good plan! :)

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
For sure I would sign it,Ive wanted to see Ray's earlier stuff for ages.His best stuff I think.

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
I'll surely join in again.
I think some of the 26 Track's episodes I got have been edited/shortened so I'm eager to see the full versions of those and the 17 or so episodes I am missing in my collection.

Cheers,

Tom

PS and I also have never seen his early program about rocks, so if you could put that on the list as well please?

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I've added the rocks one :)

Edit: bit surprised that only six people have viewed this thread?!

I'm not sure how accurate the thread view thing is, I've seen threads with 11 replies but only 2 “views”

Watching Ray Mears on Country tracks were what reignited my passion for wild camping,

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I'd sign mate! ;) - have written to them in our last 'quest' so it would be churlish to drop out the battle now! :)

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Ray on Country tracks is what inspired me to get back outside, managed to tape most of his programmes off uktv doc, but dont think i have them all, so i would be interested.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Yeah Country Tracks was one of the things that got me interested,remember watching them on BBC2 Scotland many many moons ago,it would be great to get them DVD, so yes i would sign on the dotted line.

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
According to a colleague Ray was on breakfast telly this morning talking about
having done some filming in Scotland and something about the previous foot
and mouth situation letting a number of wild plants regrow once animals were
removed from the site showing that it didn't take long for sites to recover. I
didn't see the programme so apologies if I've mis-translated what was said.

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Hello all - can I thank you for reading and also very politely request that no-one posts
anything about pirated versions of copyrighted material as that will result in the thread
being closed. Thanks to the mods for their pruning :)

The remit of this thread is solely to test the waters to see if we can generate a polite
campaign to encourage the BBC to release some of their older Ray Mears material,
not to find ways of circumventing the fact that they haven't done so yet.

Thank you kindly,
Jo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE