Raven PK1

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
The following quotes are from Three men in a wood... (very very pic heavy) and I am responding to them here to avoid hi-jacking that thread.

I've been waiting for someone to review the PK1. So get to it man.

I'd love to do the review JD... but it's not my knife, it's Chris's (Elines) so you'll have to wait until he does one :D

All I can say about it from the minute or so I held it was that it sat extremely well in the hand, had some serious weight to it so you know it'll take some heavyweight abuse and that the finish was superb

Just so people don't get frustrated waiting ....... I have no plans to give a review of my Raven PK1.

This is because:

(1) Paul Kirtley has already given a full explanation of its development and features

at http://paulkirtley.co.uk/2011/the-raven-pk1-knife/

and in the comments at the same link .......

(2) Another buyer of the knife has already commented

and says

"Paul,

I received my PK1 limited custom made knife a few days ago, and I have to say it is a work of art. It should be exhibited in a museum of Bushcraft knives… Its design is superb, the weight and balance is pure brilliance. It was a present from my wife Cheryl and daughter Eva (2yrs and 9 months and already her favourite past time is going in the woods with Daddy). This knife was little more than the normal because I had a few little cosmetics put on my knife but well worth it. A REAL GEM that has now become a family heirloom I LOVE IT.

Simon at Raven Armoury is a perfectionist to say the least, a real pleasant man to deal with and I have actually made an arrangement to go and see him next time I am in the area.

Thank you Paul and thank you Simon.

Good Work as always, keep it up.

Kindest Regards

Marcus"

(3) I am not knowledgeable about knives or skilful in their use

The only other fixed blade knives I have owned are £10 (or less) Moras. I am not an expert on knives and their use and, for example, have only recently been able to get my knives sharp.

As I promised when I collected the knife off Simon I undertook to give him feedback on my thoughts on the knife - and I have done this in a detailed note, including many pictures. At the start of my note I said to him:

"Health Warning - these comments probably say as much - if not more - about me than they do about the knife"

That is still the case.

What I can say is:
  • I am still getting used to the knife as it is much bigger and heavier than a Mora
  • I have quickly re-read Paul Kirtley's article and have not found anything I would take issue with
  • I agree with the comments above of Steve (Mesquite) and Marcus
  • I have used the knife for battening, feather sticks, try sticks and preparing small game, as well as more general bushcrafty purposes
  • I just love using and holding the knife
I recall somebody saying that - in their view - it was a bit pretentious (or similar) to number a knife. In my view, since it cost my family £438 (being a combined 40th wedding anniversary, birthday and Christmas present from my wife), I am glad it is numbered because if anyone pinches it, or I lose it, and a PK1 turns up then I can prove it is mine as it is numbered P03:

Simon Picture of PK1 P03.jpg

The knife is not showing any signs of wear- apart from minor blemishes/dirt on the blade arising from actual use - but the sheath is now getting scratched.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
What's pretentious about numbering knives? It's just practical as the maker can find out exactly who commissioned it, how old it is and what materials it is made of if needs be. For a custom maker, I would have thought that would be a huge bonus. Plus as stated, you have the proof of ownership should it be lost or stolen.

Pretentious would be the owner insisting they were engraved with his name :bluThinki

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Stone me, Chris, that's a bit of a leap from a Mora!!

Your reasoning on doing a review (or, rather, not doing one) is understandable, but may I ask what were the processes that led you to your choice?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Chris, all fair comments you've made.

I was just pleased to have been able to have handled the knife at the weekend and thank you for that :)

Pretentious would be the owner insisting they were engraved with his name :bluThinki

You know anyone who does that JD? :)

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
.................................may I ask what were the processes that led you to your choice?

Yes and they were:
  • I met Paul Kirtley at the Rough Close weekend he did
  • he was very impressive
  • shortly afterwards I read his write up of his thought processes in developing his knife
  • given that I had found him impressive I considered that any knife he designed would be good and his article made sense to me (I like to understand things and I understand why the knife is as it is)
  • my wife had just had a diamond ring and a new watch and asked me what I wanted as my 40th wedding anniversary etc present
So the Raven PK1 seemed (to me) an obvious choice for a present.

I should say that I have always thought (not sure if I actually said it to anyone else) that I would never buy an expensive knife, as I have always seen them as tools and that a Mora was as good a knife as any. So I guess that if that particular combination of circumstances hadn't arisen then I wouldn't have had it.

But I am getting genuine pleasure from holding and using it. I wouldn't be getting any real pleasure from having it in a dispay cabinet or similar and not using it for its intended purpose. (I accept that other people can - but that wouldn't work for me)

udamiano

On a new journey
I must say that I had a chance to have a look at Chis new knife, and I can honestly say that its feels well balanced solid,and all together a real pleasure to handle. The weight and design leads to a very practical blade, that I'm sure he will get a lifetimes of enjoyment and use from.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
PS re thought processes

Before placing the actual order I visited Raven Armoury and had a lengthy chat with Simon Fearnamm, the maker, and saw some of his other stuff at his high security place.

Simon is also an impressive bloke. These days everyone seems to be 'passionate' about what they are doing but in his aim of achieving perfection in his work, this word really does apply to him. The quality of his work is obvious in every piece I saw.

I was able to see the penultimate version of the knife. My only concern was that as it was much heavier than my usual Moras I was a bit worried that my (weak, slightly arthritic) wrists would not be able to deal with it - but no actual problems have arisen. ?Maybe because the balance is so good.

So in summary - I don't know enough about knives to specify what I want or the quality standard I wanted and so instead I went through a process that in large part relied on the people involved (Paul Kirtley and Simon Fearnamm) to produce a quality product that would do what I wanted - and that is what I have got.

zed4130

Forager
Aug 4, 2011
poole
That is one lovely knife mate, you enjoy it and use it for many years, its nice to past down stuff like this, mine will probably be a old mora or opinel but although not as high in value i still feel these things have sentimental value,

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
....................................., its nice to past down stuff like this, mine will probably be a old mora or opinel but although not as high in value i still feel these things have sentimental value,

Spot on - I value an old ring with my Dad's initials on it - which happen to be mine as well - probably worthless as an object in its own right but I would never part with it.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Does anyone know who managed to get the PK 1 with that very beautiful Damascus blade? The blade itself is just superb; I reckon that, when made up, it'll be not only a thing of great beauty but also a superb bushcraft tool.

It's lovely to see a viable alternative to the Woodlore emerging. I read Paul Kirtley's thing about its creation and was very impressed. There's a huge amount of sense and experience informing the design and a perfectionist making it: sounds like a winning combination.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE