Rant and DSC

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Cael Nu Mara

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 8, 2008
Highlands
So today was my day off :) this meant that i was a vegtable and have spent all day on the sofa, wonderfull. The other under stalker (who i share digs with) took out a client after a roe doe. Guy turned up took out his gun and near as damn it cloverleafed at 100m with his zeroing shots, all good. So they just came back about an hour ago, with one doe on mule. Jamie (the stalker) has just left to go and find the calf that the client also shot, will expand later. Talking to the client as i made him a CofT he explained the stalk. They got out onto the ride and decided to stalk up it and onto the open hill, in the hope of seeing a few beasts on the fringe. It was all text book and wonderfull as just before they got onto the heather they saw a wee group of roe about 500m out on the hill, upwind of the stalkers, they belly crawled in and set up on the bipod, Jamie decided that they would take one of the does, he told the rifle which one to take and told him to wait as there was a calf behind the selected beast. However chummy didnt think that it was the best option, so promply drilled one 150grn round of .308 goodness through said hinds chest... and straight into the calfs jaw. Hind drops to a lung shot, while calf runs hell for leather, with a very very broken jaw. Without being to graphic, if left to its own devices it will stave as it can not eat. This is the main reason while clients are not permitted to take head shots, and though he will try his best, i would think that the chances of Jamie finding the beast are slim. I would like to point out that normally i would also go out to look for the beast, but i have about an hour before i have to show someone round the lodge, so not today, however the head stalker is going to leave ASAP to join the hunt. The client had his own FAC, rifle and has apparently been stalking for years, but has no formal training. To me this begs the question as to whether there should be a mandatory scheme in place, to those who have just read all my ramblings I invite your thoughts.

An Unhappy
Sam.

Rumcajs

Forager
Nov 13, 2009
Kielce, PL
www.jbohac.net
Interesting.
Reminds me of a film I’ve seen few week ago, and the fact that you should always listen to the stalker.
Did Jamie punched the client in the face?
I know I probably would.

Weesi

Forager
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland
There's no cure for stupidity Sam unfortunately...
People like you've described shouldn't be allowed a FAC...
You're quite right to have a rant about it. I know I would :(
Hope your weekend gets better mate

Simon

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Not good.

I've always found it a good idea to do exactly what the professional stalker tells me. It has been a good policy as I now get to stalk unaccompanied.

I don't think having DSC would make up for a lack of common sense. Maybe he could not see the calf and misunderstood the instructions, but it's hard to see how.

In my neck of the woods last week there was an incident with a party of goose shooters, where two people were injured with a shotgun. I guess the army would have called it a negligent discharge, and I believe somebody was charged by the police.

Cael Nu Mara

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 8, 2008
Highlands
Did Jamie punched the client in the face?
I know I probably would.

Punching = lack of employment with guys like that, friends in high places, definatly more bottom than class and wont be stalking with us again. As yet we have not found the beast the guys are off the hill now, and the lack of blood in a wound like that means that even the best tracking dog will have great difficulty finding it. Its such a shame.

Sam

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Yep, bad choice to take the shot, there should be something in the policy that forces him to take part in the hunt for the injured beast or at least compensates you all for time spent sorting out his mistake.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Very poor form,
best course of action I can come up with just now is to spread your sorry tale ( and the clients name) to every gamekeeper you can think of, in an effort to stop this happening again!

Or is there some way you can bill the client for the manhours/vet bills/carriage and disposal of the wounded beast?

Ogri the trog

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
This is a difficult one, because if having completed a course is a legal requirement, where does it all end ?. Whats appropriate for the hill, would/could then become the same for anyone who takes game.

When i shot practical pistol, the sports ruling was that you hade to take a course, or you could'nt compete, but that was'nt a legal requirement, maybe its something the estates could enforce, or hit them in the pocket, with say a large deposit, that is re-fundable if there are no incidents such as this ?.

Rob

Cael Nu Mara

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 8, 2008
Highlands
thanks for you all backing me up, its nice to know that its not just me whos apalled. Secondly, the guy had an extra £100 on his bill, plus the estimated cost of the beast. However, something that really stung was that he didnt once apollogise, he just shrouged it off, and didnt see a problem with leaving the beast on the hill. Its also nice to see so many responsible hunters. I rekon we will have Riszla on the job tomorrow and see if she can sort something out, being the wonderdog she is :) No tip either, i dont think he had a farther Tbh

Thanks
Sam

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
The not being concerned, is appalling, that shows how shallow this "man" is. I sympathise, and feel for the awkward position it puts you in, not being able to say your piece, to such people.

A £100 ?, i was thinking more of a deposit of £200.

Rob

Rumcajs

Forager
Nov 13, 2009
Kielce, PL
www.jbohac.net
However, something that really stung was that he didnt once apollogise, he just shrouged it off, and didnt see a problem with leaving the beast on the hill.

There’s a thread about guy who battered pigeon with skateboard causing unnecessary suffering to the bird, still he eventually killed the bird but, your guy is proper w****r if he thinks it’s ok to leave that poor animal to die what most likely be long and painful death.

P.S. please excuse my Latin

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
Very poor form,
best course of action I can come up with just now is to spread your sorry tale ( and the clients name) to every gamekeeper you can think of, in an effort to stop this happening again!

Or is there some way you can bill the client for the manhours/vet bills/carriage and disposal of the wounded beast?

Ogri the trog

As he said, some people just shouldn't be allowed a FAC part of the requirements for gaining one should be a respect for the creature your hunting and the environment your in.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
I don't hunt, and I've nothing against responsible hunting, but I am very much against animal cruelty. The lengths that you and your colleagues are going to in order to find and dispatch the unfortunate beast are laudable and a credit to yourselves and your employer.

However, the stupidity and callousness displayed by this "hunter" will only play into the hands of the anti hunting lobby, and may ultimately affect his pastime and the livelyhood of many people like yourself.

I'm sure that there aren't that many people in your line of work around the country, and by bandying his name about amongst yourselves it might mean that he finds it harder to find places to shoot, and when he does get somewhere, the experts on the ground could make it very unlikely that he gets the chance of a shot anyway. Just an idea.

Regards, Michael.

Cap'n Badger

Maker
Jul 18, 2006
Port o' Cardiff
Just goes t'show that even a sanctioned Fac owner has no excuse fer 'poor show'.....personally I report him t' be a liability....an' should have his Fac reviewed. Just me tho.....you ob' thought he could 'abide' by the ethical laws o' the land' as do everyone else....(one would hope).....but there's always a bad apple aye.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
I’m afraid my first reaction is that it’s a poor show to be publicising a client’s failings so publicly however infuriating.

Hope you get the injured beast but please consider saving your frustrations for the local bar. I honestly don't think it helps stalking to wash our dirty linen in public however much you consider the chap to be an ******* and feel DSC is a panacea for all ills.

Cheers

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
I hope you find the poor beast and put it out of it's misery as quickly as possible.

I would hope the client was told in no uncertain terms to not bother returning until he could follow simple instructions and found at least a gram of common sense (with appears not to be so common these days)

Cael Nu Mara

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 8, 2008
Highlands
I’m afraid my first reaction is that it’s a poor show to be publicising a client’s failings so publicly however infuriating.

Cheers

hmm, with hind sight (no pun intended) your right. But grand news, the calf was found today (and dispatched). It is all down to the dog, as per normal whowhen we let her run was straight on it, Riszla's i dont think you could beat 'em.

Thanks

Sam

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
hmm, with hind sight (no pun intended) your right. But grand news, the calf was found today (and dispatched). It is all down to the dog, as per normal whowhen we let her run was straight on it, Riszla's i dont think you could beat 'em.

Thanks

Sam

You mean a Vizla? Great dogs.

What I don't understand as a Dutchie is that you can get a FAC without a proper training. Here we have to take a year-long course. Such a shot is a big no-no and against all hunters code. Such a person would not be welcomed back.

Btw. we only heart-lung shots are allowed here and making sure that the bullet has a safe follow-through is paramount. Accidents happen, but this sounds quite irresponsible.

-Emile

Cael Nu Mara

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 8, 2008
Highlands
You mean a Vizla? Great dogs.

Well actually i mean riszla, but she is a vizsla ;) And couldnt agree more
on dogs or the way the law works. Tbh the best guys i find to hunt with are scandis and kiwis, they know their beans. It is vey rare in my experience to find someone so irresponsible. With regards to shot placement, we generaly tell clients to heart shoot everything. However i will occasionaly take Base of neck (spine) shots depending on the situation.

Sam

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE