Ranger vacancies

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Funny you should mention that... I'm getting a bit sick of my current IT job, been racking my brains to try and find some better way to earn a living, and the idea of trying to become a Ranger did occur... Not an easy one to get into though, I would've thought.

If anyone's got any advice on how a desk jockey might go about breaking into this line of work, whilst still holding down a job, I'd be very interested to hear it...

simonharrod31

May 21, 2006
southampton
best way is to volunteer in your spare time then your in the circle so when a job comes up you will here pluss they will know what you are like as a worker. it is hard as you need a min of 2 years outdor work experience witch is dificult to to get if you have bills to pay,but stick with it as it is worth while i spent 10 years as a tree surgeon before getting in to the countryside service off my local council now i get paid to be in the woods every day :D

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
gregorach said:
Funny you should mention that... I'm getting a bit sick of my current IT job, been racking my brains to try and find some better way to earn a living, and the idea of trying to become a Ranger did occur... Not an easy one to get into though, I would've thought.

If anyone's got any advice on how a desk jockey might go about breaking into this line of work, whilst still holding down a job, I'd be very interested to hear it...

Snap mate. I've been trying to get out of IT for 2-3 years now - I'm tired of selling my soul to faceless financial banks, only to be told I'm not really worth any more than the 4 people from India that are going to replace me - and by they way can you train them up in your job before you leave!!

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
I'm desperately trying to get out of the office environment. Although I'd like to bring my trainer/training officer skills to bare if possible though!

Anyway I keep an eye on this site. Try this

Fingers crossed!
P

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I can really support what has been said. I am in the postion of employing Rangers for a Local Authority and it is a very competitive profession. Standards of qualification are rising all the time. The suggestion about volunteering and getting some job experience as well as getting known in your area is sound advice. :)

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
Well thats my sleep gone out the window - will be mulling over and over - thanks! :banghead:

But too anchored to Moray - so pipe dream! :( But what a job and what spectacular places to live and work.

GregR -

Support comments regards volunteering - experience is great, but as others have said, the industry can be rather closed - even when posts are advertised. The ear to the ground etc method is best.

Certainly for Scotland based roles, deer will come into the equation every time. But keep in mind even the 'professionals' continue to argue about how best to manage them - from DCS to SGA and old Uncle Tom Cob....! Even if not a deer stalker, the national DMQ 1 scheme is open to all who are interested and represents a bona fide and fairly commonly stipulated qualification. In addition, courses are often attended by people already in the trade - a good start to building contacts! Details are widely available - or PM me.

Good luck!

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Oakleaf said:
Well thats my sleep gone out the window - will be mulling over and over - thanks! :banghead:

But too anchored to Moray - so pipe dream! :( But what a job and what spectacular places to live and work.

GregR -

Support comments regards volunteering - experience is great, but as others have said, the industry can be rather closed - even when posts are advertised. The ear to the ground etc method is best.

Certainly for Scotland based roles, deer will come into the equation every time. But keep in mind even the 'professionals' continue to argue about how best to manage them - from DCS to SGA and old Uncle Tom Cob....! Even if not a deer stalker, the national DMQ 1 scheme is open to all who are interested and represents a bona fide and fairly commonly stipulated qualification. In addition, courses are often attended by people already in the trade - a good start to building contacts! Details are widely available - or PM me.

Good luck!
I would have to disagree with some of this. As far as advertising is concerned local authorities have to advertise posts on the open market and have a set Application form and detailed procedure for shortlisting and selection.So there can be no 'closed' industry here.
Secondly deer don't always come into the equation. You have to be carefull in what you mean by Ranger too. For example the Forestry Commission have two kinds of Ranger. Rangers who control forests 'pests' like deer, foxes etc, and Recreational Rangers who deal with visitors to the forests and run events for groups visiting forests, such as school groups.
Local Authorities have Countryside Rangers who's main job is raising awareness of all sorts of issues like biodiversity, sustainability, access and helping school groups with environmental education as part of the school curriculum as well as conducting other public events like guided walks.
Also sporting estates acknowledge the role of Rangers for visitor management and education and most of them will have nothing to do with deer control. :)

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
Fred

Thank you for balancing view.

Our experiences on the recruitment side of things differ - which is good to present.

Also take on board your detail regards differing forms of 'Ranger'.

Only area I'd want to be clear about is that comments regards DMQ etc were trying ( perhaps badly ) to convey that syllabus ( and certainly original intent ) go beyond actual killing aspects and has relevance beyond those strictly tasked with control.

Anyway - I was right.... still thinking that maybe a move to Skye wouldn't be..... aaaargh!

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Oakleaf. I wasn't trying to be critical but there are an awfull lot of people who want to be Rangers and they often get confused about what a Ranger actually does. We work very closely with Scottish Natural Heritage (SNH) and they set quite clear guidelines about what a Ranger's job entails, if they are to support it through funding. :)

huntersforge

Oct 14, 2006
southern scotland
I dont want to P*ss on somebodys fire but the work involved is not as glamorous as you might think . I completed a 3 year fixed term as a deer control contractor with the forestry commission a few years back and I also had a romantic notion of the work involved .
Dont get me wrong , Being outside in nice surroundings was great , however during the winter the wet weather gets a bit tedious and the public hostility leaves a bad taste . :(

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
Fred

Its very hard to convey context with typed words. I meant it about balancing view - I didnt perceive critism. Apologies all if response indicated otherwise. Confess to unhelpful defensiveness on the deer management=killing debate on my part. :eek:

Toyed with putting SNH in the listing DCS to SGA. They are certainly in the mix regards the organisations not being able to agree strategy between themselves! :)

Forge - know exactly what you mean. Held a Forest Enterprise lease in SW Scotland, have worked on NT ground and as a stalker/ ghillie. Not an occupation to take on for the money! Its the perverse pleasure in suffering ( your own ) that makes the job worthwhile :D But suspect this is one of the best arenas for there being people who actually see the attraction in many ways/ varying perspectives.

Er - just called you all ( mostly ) perverse - meant in a in a nice way everyone. :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE