Rambo 3

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Shame, the book was brilliant - the film was....well I wouldn't want to step in it in this weather!

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
That axe thing is dead stupid.

how do you swing it?

And what was the dedication anyway? I fell asleep an hour before the end

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
That axe thing is dead stupid.

how do you swing it?

And what was the dedication anyway? I fell asleep an hour before the end

I think it was more ofa dodgy fighting extension more than an axe. The end was dedicated to the Mujahideen, two quotes: "This film is dedicated to the gallant people of Afghanistan." and "I am like a bullet, filled with lead and made to kill"

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I suppose it might do if you want your opponent to fall down laughing.

And the Afghans are a decent lot. (they are just fortunate those horrid analine dyed rugs are in fashion.)

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
It was an awful design by Gil Hibben, although he is famous for his fantasy knives as well as his users. The dialogue about invading forces into Afghanistan is very thought provoking. It was applied to the Russians then as their Vietnam. The irony of it all sits slightly uneasy.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Not the same , but you triggered a text i read. Have a look here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hassan-i_Sabbah

http://www.phinnweb.org/neuro/assassins.html

Interesting reading . ( at least i think )

Fascinating reading, especially these few passages...

Two men in the year 1092 stood on the ramparts of a medieval castle - the Eagle's Nest - perched high upon the crags of the Persian mountains: the personal representative of the Emperor and the veiled figure who claimed to be the incarnation of God on earth. Hasan, son of Sabah, Sheikh of the Mountains and leader of the Assassins, spoke: "You see that devotee standing guard on yonder turret-top? Watch!"

He made a signal. Instantly the white-robed figure threw up his hands in salutation, and cast himself two thousand feet into the foaming torrent which surrounded the fortress.

"I have seventy thousand men - and women - throughout Asia, each one of them ready to do my bidding. Can your master, Malik Shah, say the same? And he asks me to surrender to his sovereignty! This is your answer. Go!"

Such a scene may be worthy of the most exaggerated of horror films. And yet it took place in historical fact. The only quibble made by the chronicler of the time was that Hasan's devotees numbered "only about forty thousand." How this man Sabah came by his uncanny power, and how his devotees struck terror into the hearts of men from the Caspian to Egypt, is one of the most extraordinary of all tales of secret societies. Today, the sect of the Hashishin (druggers) still exists in the form of the Ismailis (Ishmaelites), whose undisputed chief, endowed by them with divine attributes, is the Aga Khan.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
The Hashism were certainly fastinating but Im not at all sure of their relevance to ordinary everyday islam of any era.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
The Hashism were certainly fastinating but Im not at all sure of their relevance to ordinary everyday islam of any era.

Regardless, you've just introduced me to a fascinating subject in history. I want to find out more about it all now.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Is it just me, or is this very remeniscent of a scene from Conan the Barbarian?

Ooooh that's spooky, I put that in the DVD drive and watched a bit of it last night.

I just bid of Rambo 4 on ebay last night too. I have no idea what it'll be like... but I can guess. Something tells me he won't be a reformed veteran doing something gentle in his twilight years like charity work and rasing kittens.

I read the book of the first film years ago and enjoyed it a lot, despite him dying in the end. (sorry for the spoiler)

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter

Yes Tengu. Thats why I put "Not the same , but you triggered a text i read. Have a look here " as in NOT the SAME.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Regardless, you've just introduced me to a fascinating subject in history. I want to find out more about it all now.

You triggered this when you put "More than decades, centuries, even millennia."

There is a story related to when the Old Man Of The Mountain is at war with a reigning Warlord in a new territory , the Warlord holds the superior position possessing several high well defended strongpoints along a series of valleys and a strong network and logistics and support. The positions are too well defended for any sort of physical direct attack , the Warlord concludes that the Old Man doesn't have a chance and time moves on , days, weeks,month even years.

The Warlord eventually one morning has an epiphany when walking around one of the strongholds ,of all the faces of known soldiers , court staff , kitchen staff he now knows none , all are unrecognizable or have left to pursue teaching from the Old Man.

Over the years the Old Man has covertly replaced every single serving staff member one by one over the whole series of strongholds either physically or by having his men secretly convert the Warlords own men through talks and discussion and changing their core beliefs.
The situation was won because they approached the matter with a different view of time to achieve the end game.

I've probably murdered the story as I remember it but thats the basic gist as you said "More than decades, centuries, even millennia".

All the works ( as I'm sure you already know and read ) of Sun Tzu and Miyamoto Musashi i think are also worth study.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2010
North Wales
The last Rambo movie was great stupid fun. Nothing more. As soon as you see someone vapourised by a landmine, you know what you're going to get. Don't expect any "Johnny come home" social commentary. It's stupid and full of gaffes and poor dialogue, but it has an awesome 3rd act.
"what can we do?"
"there's nothing we CAN do"

What comes next STILL makes me excited! It's AMAZING!

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
The old HGH is starting to take it toll on Sly , he's face is becoming less and less Human each time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE