Rainwater harvesting system

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Hmmmmm. I have a couple of cheap 25 L water containers with screw assembled taps at the bottom and they seem watertight for a week or so’s camp and travel in the back of the car. The head is about 600mm above the tap.
What sort of leak are we talking about - what sort of head is involved in the system?

In other water applications I have cut soft washers from a silicon sheet.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hmmmmm. I have a couple of cheap 25 L water containers with screw assembled taps at the bottom and they seem watertight for a week or so’s camp and travel in the back of the car. The head is about 600mm above the tap.
What sort of leak are we talking about - what sort of head is involved in the system?

In other water applications I have cut soft washers from a silicon sheet.
Itcs the nature of the blanking plates I think. They aren't intended to be drilled. It's a hard, brittle plastic. Drilling them and putting threaded plumbing fittings through them doesn't, consistently, result in a water tight seal despite ptfe, gaskets, silicone etc. A moulded unit is just a better proposition. You can easily make it hozelock, plumbing fitting etc

Reactions: Stew

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Itcs the nature of the blanking plates I think. They aren't intended to be drilled. It's a hard, brittle plastic. Drilling them and putting threaded plumbing fittings through them doesn't, consistently, result in a water tight seal despite ptfe, gaskets, silicone etc. A moulded unit is just a better proposition. You can easily make it hozelock, plumbing fitting etc

£30 for the molded Barb not £25 - I forgot the vat!

Still tempting for me as if I’ve got to buy decent hozelock connectors and have faith (the bigger factor) then it’s possibly not too far off being different.

I’m a way off getting them all lined up yet anyway so time to ponder.

I may just do a syphon across the top.

Reactions: British Red

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Do you know anyone with a 3D printer?

Someone has designed a programme for just about everything you can think of.

Right now I have orders with my son for hi-viz tent peg tops, hi-viz cam cleats and hi-viz valve caps for the car. (I bought a reel of hi-viz filament.)

Make yourself a coffee and browse:
Thingiverse
or
3D warehouse.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
£30 for the molded Barb not £25 - I forgot the vat!

Still tempting for me as if I’ve got to buy decent hozelock connectors and have faith (the bigger factor) then it’s possibly not too far off being different.

I’m a way off getting them all lined up yet anyway so time to ponder.

I may just do a syphon across the top.
If you top join it's harder to pump continuously but safer for leaks

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I can’t remember what I bought!

I got something but haven’t set everything out yet as there’s a number of stages to sort before I do - got to do it right not rushed!

It’s been a bit of a summer being all over the place (four different locations for holidaying) and having returned home earlier, I’m looking forward to some normality for a while!!

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I can’t remember what I bought!

I got something but haven’t set everything out yet as there’s a number of stages to sort before I do - got to do it right not rushed!

It’s been a bit of a summer being all over the place (four different locations for holidaying) and having returned home earlier, I’m looking forward to some normality for a while!!

Ok, I have an IBC and I'd like to have an easy way to dispense water - hose connector, tap , pez dispenser with a funny head. Regan probably.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Ok, I have an IBC and I'd like to have an easy way to dispense water - hose connector, tap , pez dispenser with a funny head. Regan probably.

Just use a rain water barrel tap? I used some when I made our IBC hot tub. The IBC tank is easily drilled out with a forstener bit and the tap goes on finger tight, 5 mins and you’re done. Although it doesn’t have a funny head on it!

Reactions: TeeDee

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE