Rainwater harvesting system

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Our latest video covers how we built a 10,000 litre above ground rainwater harvesting system to compliment our cistern and well.

We include how we calculate usage, storage, catchment and how we pressurise the water for use in hoses and sprinklers

After the last dry Summer, I think it's important for every homestead & garden to have a think about how best to water!

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
Our latest video covers how we built a 10,000 litre above ground rainwater harvesting system to compliment our cistern and well.

We include how we calculate usage, storage, catchment and how we pressurise the water for use in hoses and sprinklers

After the last dry Summer, I think it's important for every homestead & garden to have a think about how best to water!

When I lived at the commune for sustainable living down south, I had the task of building a rain water harvesting catcher for the straw bale house.. 2x 1000 litre water butts interlinked & gravity fed & plumbed in to sink & toilet.
I just finished it & it started to rain.
It’s amazing how much water is collected from the roof in such a short period of time.

Reactions: British Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
When I lived at the commune for sustainable living down south, I had the task of building a rain water harvesting catcher for the straw bale house.. 2x 1000 litre water butts interlinked & gravity fed & plumbed in to sink & toilet.
I just finished it & it started to rain.
It’s amazing how much water is collected from the roof in such a short period of time.
We can get 5,000 litres in a good rainfall...but we have a faur sized amount of roof space by using the barns

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Nice one, have a similar setup on a smaller scale, but with a water tower for the head pressure.

Just twigged who you are too, have been watching your videos for a few years :)
I'd live to see your setup! I'd love to get ours high enough for a gravity feed but never worked out a practical solution!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Interesting, that would work. Our solution is a 3.5 bar pump on an inverter. It works for us although I would love one of the US ranch style wind pumps. One day!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The article linked below was sent to me a few years back. Although from a completely different 'hobbyist' background, there is a lot of good, clear practical advice included and I learned a lot from it.

Best Wishes,
David
Hose diameter makes all the difference to flow rate I agree with the poster!

Reactions: adriatikfan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE