Rainbow Gathering?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Hugh, they certainly were well used, I'm not too proud of that but I just couldn't let it go; the feelow just wanted to shrug it off and accept no responsibility, so he had to have some. The poor dog is gone to a girl I know with a lovely place in N Herefordshire, he'll be neutered, rehabbed and then re-homed correctly :)

You were certainly more forgiving than my cousin was when her dog was attacked by a roving pair of dogs. She shot them both and the owner never stepped forward to claim them.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I can't blame the dog, santaman, it's the eejits who bred him, then failed him in their duty of care to him; he's gone to a place where he'll be properly re-educated and looked after, then re-homed properly. At least I was able to give one of the people who failed him a wee lesson in why you shouldn't do this ;-)

I have to say though, after my experience yesterday I would find it hard to castigate somebody who did shoot! You'd be in a yup of trouble if you did that here on public land though...................

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
I picked Molly up from the vet just now, and you'll be pleased to hear that the prognosis is much better than first thought; the two ribs that were thought to be broken are in fact chipped, and the ribs on that side are very badly bruised and sprained and will cause her pain for a good while but will heal completely. The two puncture wounds caused by the attacker's canines made things look a lot worse than they are, and Sue, my vet, has been able to stitch all the internals cleanly and expects no ongoing problems.
The whole of the front quarter is massively bruised and will cause pain and discomfort for a considerable time, but again no lasting damage, and the large flap of skin has been stitched bak in place without too much loss of dead flesh; there'll be a big scar but again no lasting damage. It's taken forty two stitches to put her back together, between the internal and external and she'll be on lead exercise only for at least three weeks and will have to wear a small child's t-shirt to stop her licking the wound, but she should be physically in good shape in a month or so. She's an extremely fit and active dog and that's what has saved her from serious problems, but it's also going to make keeping her quiet on the lead a nightmare!

All in all a much better outcome than was at first thought................Ask me how relieved am I? :)

excellent news

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I can't blame the dog, santaman, it's the eejits who bred him, then failed him in their duty of care to him; he's gone to a place where he'll be properly re-educated and looked after, then re-homed properly. At least I was able to give one of the people who failed him a wee lesson in why you shouldn't do this ;-)

I have to say though, after my experience yesterday I would find it hard to castigate somebody who did shoot! You'd be in a yup of trouble if you did that here on public land though...................

True enough. And TBH she wasn't on public land (though it would have been just as legal here) The roving dogs in question broke (dug) into the pen where her Labrador pup was housed in her back yard and killed him. She caught them before they left. Her pup was still alive and taken to the vet immediately but didn't survive.

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Thanks Swallow, thanks Pete, I think my bruising will settle before Molly's does, but it was worth it; although I'm getting a little long in the tooth for such shenanigans :-(

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Jeezus, 42 stitches. That must have been some damage.
Theres bound to be some mental trauma there, but with your background Mac, Im sure she'll be on the road to recovery soon enough.
Best wishes.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
A brief update on this:

I took Molly on a walk ( on the lead! ) back to the place this happened this afternoon, she met a good few dogs on the way and showed no behaviour that was any different to that which she would have before the incident; she was also completely non-phased by being back at the "scene of the crime", so to speak, and appeared totally happy and at ease with everything apart from being on the lead! She's a fit and feisty little thing and is obviously psychologically sound, and I couldn't be more relieved :)

Physically, if you couldn't see the scar/wound on her chest you wouldn't guess that there was anything amiss - I can't let her run about as she has 28 internal stitches around the ribs/shoulder area, but her resilience just amazes me! It's nice to be reassured that the regime I practice with her is keeping her in such good nick.

The Police and Natural Resources Wales have obviously stepped up to the mark and done their job properly, as there's very little sign of where these people were, so fair play to them both; I'm told there are now hundreds of these people a bit further down the valley, they're obviously looking for somewhere else to do their thing. But there's nothing more I can do, I just hope somebody gets it together to stop 'em at the next place they decide to ruin.

Thanks again to all who took the time to post good wishes; we've had a positive outcome!!! :)

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Good news, indeed, Mac.

Dogs seem to be a bit different to us as far as pain thresholds and recovery goes; after Bill had surgery and was still a bit woozy, I carried her up 3 flights of stairs, the following morning she had to be restrained from bounding down them 4-at-a-time as usual as though nothing was amiss.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Great!!! I am really glad she so pyschologically robust. Do want any kids teashirts, a lady cant have too big a wardrobe.

Ok the rainbow gathering doesnt meet until july. They arent keen on dogs either. They will tollerate some dogs that are on leads and are completely freindly esspecially towards children but generally no dogs. Generally it is on land they have permission of sorts to be on, well the uk lot do.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
https://www.google.com/calendar/ren...M0Mm9AZw&ctz=Europe/Madrid&sf=true&output=xml

See this linky, Fi; these are the people and they are now camped at Llandogo presumably working on where to go next. I spoke to the people involved in the "seed camp", and they had no idea of the consequences of the expected numbers on the site they had chosen. I don't doubt their good intentions but there are far too many people with a mouth full of much obliged and a hand full of gimme who bang on about their right to freedom but never have a clue as to their responsibilities :)

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I am only repeating what I was told.

Quite a few people in that lifestyle have no respect for anyone or nature. I am not defending anyone that has group meetings on public land without permission or disregard the for the law of nature.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
there are far too many people with a mouth full of much obliged and a hand full of gimme who bang on about their right to freedom but never have a clue as to their responsibilities :)

Can I have that for a sig line?

It says it all really!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE