Rabbitng pictures

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
These are really great pictures, I'd love to do something like this but I have a problem, although I love bushcraft and survival, I just can't get my head around killing an animal even if it is just a rabbit, even an animal that kills others, i.e. a fox. I understand this is a must in a real survival situation and I'd have no doubt I would do this but first I must learn but I can't seem to get over this problem. Does, or did, anyone have this problem? How did you get over it? And did it get easier the more you did it?

you must of got over stimulated with kiddies wild life utopia cartoons or soenthing when you were ltittle. Its when your impressionable that these notions have there effect isnt it :) . Didnt your Daddy teach you how to kill rats and so on, or have you been indoctrinated by mother earth feminism? Its normal to kill, for the pot, to get rid of thieving vermin such as foxes rats etc even the humble rabbit. Its abnormal to try to make out some moral animal right's/neo utopian case for not killing animal's. It shows how corrupt and decadent the western nations have become, when they can afford the luxury of angiushing over such non-issue issue's. If you were HUNGRY you'd eat anything, rats, after birth's, snakes, carrion anything you wouldnt care about the how's why's wherefore's, you'd soon get over the squaemishness, you might find you actually like hunting.

PS Smokoe those pictures are marvellous, you did real well to get them so clear and sharp:)

Big Bad Stu

Nomad
Jul 18, 2006
Shropshire
Fantastic thread.

I hunt rabbits and squirrels for vermin control purposes on a couple of shoots in Shropshire. It is great to see such a sensible attitude to pest control and hunting generally.

Towards the end of last year the owner of one of the shoots we work allowed a guy on with an air rifle and a lurcher, he said if the rabbit is a sensible distance away and he can shoot it cleanly he will, if it runs he uses the dog. He was tremendously successful. Jonny (my shooting buddy) and I were a bit miffed but you have to think about the end result for the land owner i.e. no rabbits.

We have another shoot in the vacinity, some of the warrens have mixi and our job seems to entail culling badly infected rabbits.

As for does it get easier the more you kill, I would say yes. It is always nice to think that the rabbit was happy up until the end and had no idea that the end was coming.

Mind you last night's shooting forray was not so much shooting as sitting in a hedge for three hours, there must have been something good on the rabbit's TV. Not a single bunny all night.

Stewey.:D

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
<snip> Mind you last night's shooting forray was not so much shooting as sitting in a hedge for three hours, there must have been something good on the rabbit's TV. Not a single bunny all night.

Stewey.:D

It happens, doesn't it! Sometimes i despair at how little is happening on our shoot. I have said to the Ratbag that we need to expand our horizons and get talking to other landowners but it's finding the time and inclination! Saying that, we're just about to start tackling the pigeons on our shoot so we'll see how that goes!

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
you must of got over stimulated with kiddies wild life utopia cartoons or soenthing when you were ltittle. Its when your impressionable that these notions have there effect isnt it :) . Didnt your Daddy teach you how to kill rats and so on, or have you been indoctrinated by mother earth feminism? Its normal to kill, for the pot, to get rid of thieving vermin such as foxes rats etc even the humble rabbit. Its abnormal to try to make out some moral animal right's/neo utopian case for not killing animal's. It shows how corrupt and decadent the western nations have become, when they can afford the luxury of angiushing over such non-issue issue's. If you were HUNGRY you'd eat anything, rats, after birth's, snakes, carrion anything you wouldnt care about the how's why's wherefore's, you'd soon get over the squaemishness, you might find you actually like hunting.

PS Smokoe those pictures are marvellous, you did real well to get them so clear and sharp:)
You know if somebody is asking a legitimate question, one asking for advice its not fair to answer in such a condescending manner.
Perhaps this guy was in school learning to spell whilst you were out shooting rats. Seriously were you drunk when you wrote this?
Yes, I think most people feel a degree of sadness at the initiation of killing an animal. In our society, it may not be something we have grown up doing, and subsequently we grow up with a natural empathy towards animals because most our contact with living creatures is with pets. I don't think its anything to sneer at, it just means we have recognise that animals feel pain and suffer. As adults though we can also understand that if we are going to eat meat, then the most humane way to do so is to take personal responsibility for where it comes from and how it died. Its far kinder to shoot a wild game bird or rabbit that to buy one in supermarket that lived an awful life and is probably pumped full of chemicals.
Ive always been very pro-animal rights, but that to me means minimizing suffering and environmental impact, thus killing wildlife both to eat and to manage the environment. (so long as numbers are sufficient, and rabbits certainly are!)
I think people also have a funny perception that you must teach it to children young or they will grow up not understanding how the world works. I could never have killed animals as a child and seeing it done on TV upset me a great deal, but I did not grow up like that, and I feel I benefited from a childhood loving animals, cartoons just aren't the corrupting force people seem to think they are!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE