Rabbitng pictures

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SMOKOE

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs
As promised a few action pics of the Kelpie / Greyhound in action

dsc0297or1.jpg

dsc0332si5.jpg

dsc0372iz4.jpg

And myself streaking into action !
dsc0374fe4.jpg

The final bag
dscf0310fy1.jpg

SMOKOE

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs
Agreed, I do hope you put them to good use, ie eat them?

Deffinately, Thats where the Dutch Oven comes into it's own, a long slow simmer with a curry sauce for the legs; and beer battered nuggets deep fried in the Dutch for the strips off the saddle.

If anyone knows the KFC formular for batter can I have it !! I've tried loads of times but can't get near !!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I still can't believe a dog can keep up with a rabbit, they don't half shift! You got yourself a good haul there though, puts what Ratbag and myself can manage on our shoot to shame, sometimes weeks go by and we see nothing!

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
That looks like alot of fun. You need to take a video camera along.

I used to have a springer who would come home with live pheasant all the time but noting in numbers like that. Your dog certainly earns his keep. Mac

SMOKOE

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs
I still can't believe a dog can keep up with a rabbit, they don't half shift! You got yourself a good haul there though, puts what Ratbag and myself can manage on our shoot to shame, sometimes weeks go by and we see nothing!

As I said on you're original thread it's not my dog (I wish it was). But it is an experience to see it working with the ferrets because they both completley ignore each other even when they come nose to nose, it's as though there is an unspoken code between them, with a comman enemy.

But amazing to watch is the dog tracking the underground progress by listening to the sounds below ( I didn't believe this myself at first) but the proof is that it always positions at the hole that the rabbit exits form,, and we only ever ferret burys that it has marked.

As for the speed of the dog as you say you wouldn't think it possible, but it will catch up with a rabbit every time unless an obsticle intervenes, even if it's a blind flush from the heather and the rabbit has 20 yards on the dog.

We don't over work the area (it's that vast) it's only about taking what you can put to use even though you might have to b***s**t the farmer and tell you've taken every rabbit he's got !

I'll take a video next time as was suggested but that wont be till November now.

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
It is a pleasure to hunt with dogs. I used to raise labradors and hunt ducks and geese with them, their enthusiasim is contagious. Our goose blind was in a small grove of trees on top of a hill. Our male Lab, Buck, would sit scanning the horizon. When he would spot a distant flock he would "Radar Lock" and we knew we had to get serious about calling. He would have to go into his special little bed/blind because he had a hard time containing his excitement. Mac

SMOKOE

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs
It is a pleasure to hunt with dogs. ..... When he would spot a distant flock he would "Radar Lock" and we knew we had to get serious about calling. He would have to go into his special little bed/blind because he had a hard time containing his excitement. Mac

I havent got a dog at present but I used to have a springer that would start trembling with excitment as soon as it saw me packing the car with pigeon shooting kit

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
We once had three geese down in the decoys so we loosed Buck to go get them. As he approached one of the birds took off running down the hill and Buck took off after him. This was on a long sloping hill with another hill off in the distance. The goose was flying about five feet up with Buck running and jumping all the way. As the goose cleared the floor of the valley he was about 30 feet up. We were sure he'd crash into the opposing hillside. As the bird tried to gain altitude Buck was hard after him and gaining. The bird got lower, and lower, and cleared the far hill with Buck still after him.

"OK, he'll be in the next county," my dad said.

My brother knew his duty as Buck's official owner. He took his shotgun and headed off to track the dog and bring him home. As my brother got to the bottom of the hill Buck topped the rise opposite dragging the goose. We later measured it at a little over 700 yards.

My dad once shot a pheasant in the swamp and sent the springer after it. She came back with a duck... This confused my dad quite a bit. He took the duck and the dog ran off and retrieved the pheasant as well.

A good dog will put you to shame if you're not careful. Mac

SMOKOE

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs
Great stories Pict

You can never help being overwhelmed by a dogs eagerness to please (not always it's eagerness to obey,as this always fails at the most inopportune moment !!) :rolleyes:

Apr 23, 2008
Ireland
These are really great pictures, I'd love to do something like this but I have a problem, although I love bushcraft and survival, I just can't get my head around killing an animal even if it is just a rabbit, even an animal that kills others, i.e. a fox. I understand this is a must in a real survival situation and I'd have no doubt I would do this but first I must learn but I can't seem to get over this problem. Does, or did, anyone have this problem? How did you get over it? And did it get easier the more you did it?

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
These are really great pictures, I'd love to do something like this but I have a problem, although I love bushcraft and survival, I just can't get my head around killing an animal even if it is just a rabbit, even an animal that kills others, i.e. a fox. I understand this is a must in a real survival situation and I'd have no doubt I would do this but first I must learn but I can't seem to get over this problem. Does, or did, anyone have this problem? How did you get over it? And did it get easier the more you did it?

Is this a bait? Harking back to Mr & Mrs Caveman or even 150 years ago would they have been 100 % of the time vegetarians? No of course not.

Killing isn't done just to offend other people it serves a purpose. For me it puts free, organic meat on the table (mine and friends). Does killing get easier the more you do it? That definitely sounds like a bait- it's a means to an end. My wife eats meat but would only kill if she had to. We as a society are far more squeamish about this now than ever before. For me it's not an issue. Make of that what you will.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE