Rabbitng pictures

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SMOKOE

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs
Killing is not justified or sustainable other to be eaten or vermin control.

If an animal is abundant and you can put it to good use fine; I would only kill an animal if I was going to eat it. The only exceptions that I would make to this is shooting vermin that require control, and only then if they are a problem pest, and inedible. i.e. rats,foxes,magpies, carrions, etc.

I have shot and eaten : pigeons, ducks, geese, pheasants, rooks , rabbits, hares, squirrels, deer.
And to be honest I have absolutley no qualms about the killing because in IMHO they are the ulltimate free range and I can be selective over what is killed that I eat.

If I had to come back in 're-incarnation ' I'd rather be a pheasant than a battery hen !

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
How did you get over it? And did it get easier the more you did it?

I've never had this problem, but you might think about Defra's advice on this if you want to rationalise it and join in, it pretty much sums it up. In fact, I'd positively encourage you to join in in some way if you can.

"Rabbits are a pest in most parts of the country. Rabbit populations grow very rapidly during the breeding season and farmers wish to control them to prevent serious damage to their crops. Many rabbits are shot, rather than taken with dogs, but the use of dogs provides a relatively humane means of controlling them – more humane and efficient than other methods which can result in greater suffering. Rabbit hunting does not involve the use of large packs of dogs or a significant or prolonged chase element (the rabbit is either caught and dispatched quickly by the much larger dog, through a single bite to the neck, or it goes to ground immediately in a hole which the dog cannot enter). Hunting rabbits is also a traditional means of gathering food. The animal welfare agencies have accepted that there is a case for hunting rabbits."

So in fact, using dogs this way is a service to the farming community, efficient, humane, allows the dog to be used for the activity for which it was originally bred, and provides a cheap source of food for once not from a supermarket. There is inherent imbalance in our countryside, activities like this redress that imbalance.

Great pics BTW :)

Chris

deeps

Forager
Dec 19, 2007
Monmouthshire
Excellent shots - well done. Working with a dog is very rewarding. I have now trained my 2 yr lab up to retrieve shot rabbits and most of the time she is a real asset - she absolutely loves it. They are so programmed to bring things back they don't know why they are doing it. It is particularly useful when a shot hasn't been as clean as I would like and bunny has made it into the bushes - or I have lost it in the dark.

holy I never seen any one hunt with a dog like that

...but have you ever seen anyone hunt with a rabbit? Particularly one like the Rabbit of Caerbannog?

Rabbitattack.jpg

;)
Mungo

SMOKOE

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs
Mayfly,

I've never read that DEFRA passage before. however it is remarkably truthful and relevant. Unlike their normal public statements, was it clause 3,000,001 ???

Sorry to be so cynical and thanks again for your post highlighting it, it's certainly somthing that I shall print out and have in a pocket for the next time I get challenged by a law upholding citizen of the relm !!

Incidently a good site for folks interested in this topic is "the hunting life" if you dont get it GOOGLE phil lloyd.

(just found this site and am in no way endorsing it )

statikpunk

Apr 18, 2007
nevada, U.S.A.
wow great pics smokoe, I knew people did that but have never seen it done before, hunting animals using dogs "as the weapon" is not allowed in the U.S. (at least in my state) (they do have falconry though) I actually had a ferret and I knew they where traditionally used to hunt rabbits and rats, but I did not know they were used in conjunction with dogs,...very interesting .
FYI the colonels secret recipe is CHICKEN, SALT, GREASE! :joke:

Gu3rr1lla, are you a vegetarian?? have you ever seen how animals are slaughtered?? you should feel like a saint hunting animals yourself in any manner.

the subject of the morality of hunting really hits home with me, when I was a teenager it was really popular in my group of friends to be Vegan (which is an uber-vegetarian to the point of making an effort to never harm an animal for any reason, no leather, no chapstick with beeswax, no milk....) anyway I was raised to hunt. From the time I could be carried in a backpack I have been hunting. So when many of my friends went Vegan I tried to rationalize my hunting ways, by saying things like "well, I eat what I kill," which isn't true, I hunt many critters that I do not eat. So I would try and rationalize that by saying "oh well I'm helping to get rid of destructive vermin, like ground squirrels, and jack rabbits(very destructive critters to the ranchers in my area) but in reality I could have cared less about how the animals where hurting the ranching property, I just enjoyed hunting them. Over the years most of my friends have turned back to meat, and even some of them have turned into die hard hunters themselves.
seeing all of this, I realize that I should have never tried to rationalize my lifestyle, and today when I meet people that do not agree with my hunting ways, I no longer pander to them I tell them that I am a predator that enjoys killing animals and that I will not apologize for that. now that sounds pretty harsh, but if I'm going to get preached at then I'm going to preach right back at em'.
whew.... long story short, even though we can walk upright, make fire, drive cars, and speak via the internet, that doesn't mean we are any less of the predator that walked the savanna in search of sustenance so many years ago.
that is not to say feeling a level of remorse for a worthy game is wrong, certainly not, our comprehension of others feelings is what makes us human. Many primitive peoples would thank their game for providing them with sustenance, (I.E. I put grass in the mouth of the deer, and elk I kill, kind of like a last meal thing), I heard that that was some sort of old American Indian tradition. Not sure if its true, but i liked the idea anyway.

Sorry to rattle on, I'm just tired of feeling like the minority all the time and having to explain my actions, to the few radicals out there that think its wrong to hunt.

So as long as no one backs down and no one makes excuses for what we do. We will all be able to enjoy hunting for years to come.

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
I've never read that DEFRA passage before. however it is remarkably truthful and relevant. Unlike their normal public statements, was it clause 3,000,001 ???

Yes, I must say Defra's FAQ on The Hunting Act is pretty good. I've referred to it a few times recently. As I am sure you know, there are a number of exemptions and nuances, which it seems to me Defra explain in a balanced way. I have little experience of Defra otherwise, though. Chris

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Deffinately, Thats where the Dutch Oven comes into it's own, a long slow simmer with a curry sauce for the legs; and beer battered nuggets deep fried in the Dutch for the strips off the saddle.

If anyone knows the KFC formular for batter can I have it !! I've tried loads of times but can't get near !!

KFC....

well, a heard a story a few years back that a family bought a house owned by the creator of the KFC batter, and in the attic they found the recipe, which is Top Secret. They argued in court the recipe now belonged to them or something. Anyway from reading the article I learned one thing that might help you

KFC batter has 13 spices. The recipe is kept in 2 halves so that no where that makes it has the full thing. Good luck on your quest for the Recipe!

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
I used to go hunting with dogs a little in my youth but have not been out for years now. I think that under th Scottish hunting with dogs ban that this form of hunting is now illegal in Scotland. I would be delighted to hear I am wrong but doubt I will.

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
I used to go hunting with dogs a little in my youth but have not been out for years now. I think that under th Scottish hunting with dogs ban that this form of hunting is now illegal in Scotland. I would be delighted to hear I am wrong but doubt I will.

Happy to inform you that it is still legal to hunt rabbits with a lurcher in Scotland, rabbits are exempt from the Wild Mammals Act.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
It is the hunting with dogs act I was thinking of.

"wild mammal" -
(a) includes a wild mammal which has escaped, or been released, from captivity, and any mammal which is living wild;
(b) does not include a rabbit;
(c) does not include a rodent;

SMOKOE

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs
Is this a bait? Harking back to Mr & Mrs Caveman or even 150 years ago would they have been 100 % of the time vegetarians? No of course not.

Killing isn't done just to offend other people it serves a purpose. For me it puts free, organic meat on the table (mine and friends). . We as a society are far more squeamish about this now than ever before. . Make of that what you will.

This is deffinatley true, the amount of people the heckle and give quite expletive verbal abuse when they see you shooting pheasants or rabbits; then the self same people sit down to a farmed chicken Sunday dinner, or have foir goire ( cant spell that) in a restaurant
There are are so many bigots, hypocritics, and uninitiated people that you have to ignore them and let them get on with their tiny safe little lives thinking that they are 'saving the planet' (rant over sorry) :soapbox:

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I just had an old guy up on the farm ask if I had a shotgum with me. I replied that no it was an air rifle, and I use it to keep the rabbits under control on the farm with permission from the farmer. He gave me a look of pure disgust and I was sorely tempted to place a few pellets in his backside! Grumpy old sod!

And I got one too! It seems the population is starting to recover and there doesn't seem to be any signs of disease in certain parts of the farm. Now I need to find that thread with the curried rabbit! :D

Robbo

Nomad
Aug 22, 2005
Darkest Scotland,
Bunny Balti is nice ;).

Alas however our Glorious SNP Executive (I refuse to call them a governent) are determined to Ban airguns.

I had no idea they were so dangerous so I'm selling mine and will do something safer with the money...

...Buy some new toys when my Firearms and shotgun certificates come through :D :D

Andy

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Deffinately, Thats where the Dutch Oven comes into it's own, a long slow simmer with a curry sauce for the legs; and beer battered nuggets deep fried in the Dutch for the strips off the saddle.

If anyone knows the KFC formular for batter can I have it !! I've tried loads of times but can't get near !!

I don't know the KFC formula, but I can offer you this

If you're going to deep fry the rabbit, cook it first in some white wine, rosemary, garlic and oil for about an hour.
Let it cool, then roll it in seasoned flour, then beaten egg, then breadcrumbs (adding some cajun spice is good).

Then deep fry until golden brown - it has all that deep fried taste and comes out lovely and tender - Jamie Oliver did this recipe in his most recent series and it is a corker...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE