Quinoa

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I've grown it. I just tried a few seeds from a packet we bought to eat and it grew very easily. Unfortunately we don't have the sunniest garden and the last few summers haven't been that dry so we didn't get a harvest. It flowered ok and the seeds almost ripened so it's something I would try again, especially if I buy seed suited to the uk and we get some more space.

This might be helpful: http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants.php?Chenopodium+quinoa

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oh excellent :D I didn't know it would grow here, and I do like it.
How long a season did it need ? when to sow, etc ?

cheers,
Toddy

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
The PFAF link has full details, it suggests planting in April and seeds ripen in August & September. Mine seemed to set seed later than that but is was probably seed not suitable for the UK. Cultivars suited to the UK should ripen earlier and some are listed in the link.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
maybe it will work better this year if we get a warmer summer. where did you get the seed?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's a bonny looking plant, isn't it ? I could get away with that in a herbaceous border :cool:

Nice links folks, but does anyone have one to ideal seeds for the UK ?

cheers,
Toddy

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
The stuff I grew just came out of a packet from the supermarket, which I wouldn't recommend.

I bet quite a few seed companies sell it. My OH and I have grown quite a few interesting things from these people and we can recommend them although we've not tried their Quinoa ..... yet. There's a few varieties to try, the rainbow one would look great in the herbaceous border.;)

http://www.realseeds.co.uk/grains.html

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
Thanks for the replies and links, a few good ones there. It looks though, as if I will have to wait until I get an allotment before I can grow enough.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Perhaps using hot-beds to allow early planting would help in our unstable / unpredictable climate? It would certainly mean that if they needed more time to mature, they'd have it, without the temperature dropping. Something to think on methinks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE