Seeds, looking for hierochloe odorata, sweetgrass

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Does anyone grow this ? and if so, would you gather me a few fresh seeds this year please ? or maybe even a bit of root ?

Happy to cover postage costs or barter :)

M

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Does anyone grow this ? and if so, would you gather me a few fresh seeds this year please ? or maybe even a bit of root ?

Happy to cover postage costs or barter :)

M

I haven't gotten any but I'm interested in anything I don't know about.

What are its benefits or uses Toddy?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It does grow here, but it's a heck of a trek for me to gather it, so I thought to grow it in the garden instead.

I use it for basketry, as a hearth herb, and as part of my pot pourri mixes that I make through the year. I add bits to the lavender wands and bags I make too.

It's most used, I believe, as the plaited grass 'smudge' that is set alight then blown out and left to smoke.
Very pleasant scent.
It's also used to flavour booze.

Reactions: TeeDee

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
It's called 'l'herbe aux bisons' (bison grass) here in France & yes it's vanilla like aroma is used to flavour vodka & when burnt dried, can be used as an 'air freshener' . Cats like it too apparently. It isn't a native of the UK, originating in Poland.
It is a moist acid soil loving plant, so none around my neck of the woods where the soil is mostly parched, sandy & alkaline

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sodden wet woodland acidic soil here, so I reckon it'll be fine :)

The native sweetgrass, the Sweet Vernal grass, Anthoxanthum odoratum is inclined to be a bit like the couch grass, and more than a little invasive if it gets near flower or herb beds.

M

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I use it for basketry, as a hearth herb, and as part of my pot pourri mixes that I make through the year. I add bits to the lavender wands and bags I make too.
How do you use it for your baskets? Woven, braided and sewn, twisted?

Aaand, I'm going to have to get me some, aren't I? :) I've got what I think is a good spot for it, but it needs a bit of clearing first.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:)

Depends on the basket. You can use it like seagrass, but it's hard grass not a soft one.
It's better wrapped and bound like pine needles I find, or if you have loads, and it really does need loads, you can make thick rope from it and stab stitch through in coils.

It has the most lovely scent to it. It's subtle but it's there, like smelling the quince in the house, kind of thing.

Reactions: SaraR

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE