Dawn redwood (Metasequoia)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
As to the "ground" I am speaking of Finland here, so this is really very experimental. I have seen one growing in natural surroundings and the professors we had there kind wondered as their collective opinion was that it just should not really fair that well.

I can choose between acidic and bloody acidic, no limestone or dolomite seen within a a few hundred clicks (Estonia). In theory there might be some marble somewhere but as far as I know there is not.

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
Coastal; AKA Sempiverins are the tallest. There range is Northern California but once extended as far south as Santa Barbara where Harry and Megan rough it. Gigantea are the inland big boys.
There are a few other individual for species taller than the coastal.
The giants are the biggest known
Life form - discounting a few celebrity and politicians egos.
We also have the bristlecone, long thought the oldest until some giant creosote circles were examined.
My houseplants average six weeks.

Reactions: Toddy

ManFriday4

Nomad
Nov 13, 2021
Oxfordshire
I beg to disagree, it is a threatened species in its natural environment. The climate is changing and native species will go extinct whatever we do so it is as well to grow what will grow in the new world we are living in now. I have two of them and they are not bothering the native species of beech, willow, birch, oak etc one little bit, they are all fighting for their space and getting on with it. I used to have three but one of them died due to drought.
This is an interesting take, especially in the face of climate change. However, there are invasive species best avoided like roderdendron, in fact they shouldn't even be allowed in private gardens.

Would you for example plant sycamore? It coppices beautifully makes excellentw ooden spoons & other utensils. Maple wood has natural antiseptic properties so is good for utensils.

Aslo sycamore suffers less heat stress than native trees.

Hawthorns are traditionally grown by springs & Treacle Wells in England.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's his garden, he can grow what he likes.
Even here, right in the middle of the central belt of Scotland I manage crops of stuff that 'ought' not grow here.
Humanity farms, we make use of plants, we have 'gardened' arguably since long before the advent of any settled farming. We've been moving plants around for thousands and thousands of years. There is no way to put that genie back in the bottle to some perception of a perfectly zoned Eden.
He's just pushing the boundaries a bit :)

Reactions: Glass-Wood-Steel

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE