Quilts for hammocking!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Many folks have bought and ordered a group buy under hammock quilt in the recent group buy's very kindly organised by Wanderinstar.The underquilts are made buy Snugpack,now I wonder if Snugpack would consider making a top quilt to use instead of a sleeping bag which are to me less than ideal! What do you learned bushcrafter types and experienced hammocker's)Magic Kelly ect!) think to this idea? Obviousley the experienced hammock campers would need to point out the best design to go for and features to add!

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
There are already lots of top quilts on the market, but I can understand that it'd be nice to have a matching set.

Fanatic Fringe do top quilts with Polarguard Delta (the best synthetic insulation on the market) http://www.fanaticfringe.com/page6.html

Ray Jardine sells quilt kits which are very cheap and include a hood and draftstopper. (for those that sew). http://www.ray-way.com/quilt/index.shtml

My Girlfriend and I use a Jacks R Better Quilts either under or over us in our hammocks. Annette's weighs 400 grams... www.jacksrbetter.com

Speer Hammocks also sell down filled top quilts for a reasonable price www.hammockcamping.com

If Wanderingstar or Magikelly do decide to get matching top quilts made up, the one feature I'd recommend is a head hole in the centre sealed with omni velcro tape. This allows the quilt to be used as a insulated poncho (a la Jacks r Better http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Stuart Bilby-Dolpa Nepal.JPG) and would possibly negate the use of a thick jacket to wear at camp.
Just my thoughts. Boy what a rant....

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Wouldn't it be great if they made an underblamket and top blanket that zipped together to make a sleeping bag? Just a normal Softie bag with an all round zip and baffle. A brilliant idea in fact, you should speak to Snugpak and see what they say!!

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
spamel said:
Wouldn't it be great if they made an underblamket and top blanket that zipped together to make a sleeping bag? Just a normal Softie bag with an all round zip and baffle. A brilliant idea in fact, you should speak to Snugpak and see what they say!!

I was thinking about this the other day, A sleeping bag that could be zipped apart into two halfs for use as a top and bottom quilt. It'd be doing themselves out of money in one way, but in another it mighht be very popular......

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
It'd be a good idea, but taking into account the size the finished sleeping bag would be... the top quilt would have to me a minimum width of 48 inches, if the underquilt is a similar size, you could just about stick two people in the sleepingbag!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Why aren't there lines sewn into the bottom of a hammock sleeping bag to let folks just hang the whole thing up as is? Windproof the bottom layer, give it a thin dense foam base. Centre zip on the bag with a baffle behind. Nothing to fall off, slide out of the way or get in the road; just sit into it, swing around and zip up like a pea pod, or if it's too warm leave the bag sides hanging open. The whole thing woudl roll up like a bedroll.

Cheers,
Toddy

p.s. now I'll get a dozen references to hannock bags just like this :rolleyes: :D

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
How would long full length, 6cms wide, strips of velcro work on the present hammocks and sleeping bags? The under quilt/sleeping mat could be 'confined' within the velcro frame and the sleeping bag wouldn't move about.

Cheers,
Mary

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Interesting suggestions chaps! reason I posed the question is that to be a sleeping bag has allways felt very restrictive to me and I figured that a quilt would be a much better idea! Now I dont think that I must be alone in reaching this conclusion.Some of you on here are regular hammocker's and must have some ideas on this very thing!

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Phil562 said:
Has anybody tried sleeping in their hammock with the new under quilts and using their sleeping bag unzipped as a quilt.

Yes. I don't see the benefit in a quilt. Unzip your sleeping bag but leave about the last foot zipped. This gives you a "bucket of blanket" to keep your feet in and the rest of the sleeping bag goes over you like a blanket.

Works as treat but I think in colder conditions I might still want it zipped up.

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
I had wondered about this in the first group buy. I asked the question and nearly everyone wanted underblanket.
I couldn't quite figure out where to put the face hole in top blanket. Because in a bag you have the hood that you can tighten round your face, to keep the heat in.

No no I am not even going to think about it. Besides I just bought myself a new -10deg bag

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Naah it would be great Ian...think "camp blanket"...over large sigle balnket that can be worn Clint eastwood poncho style with a head hole that seals up dead centre in the quilt

Go on...you know you want to........I'll help with the design.......

Red

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
wanderinstar said:
No no I am not even going to think about it.
Oh its far too late for that now Ian my friend,you have allready started to think about it! :D

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
But Ian...it would sooo complete the "sleep system". Just think of the weight advantages too. Add a couple of velcro side ties and it would be the worlds snuggliest Gilet...great for camp fires....come on Ian....I'll talk the missus round...you know it makes sense.....

;)

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE