Quilt for Group Buy Underblanket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Are these quilts gonna be one size fits all or are there longer and wider sizes planned for the chunky and lanky ones amongst us? If that is the case, a removable hood could be buttoned on, with a drawstring to close it in for the bean headed ones or left loose for the melon heads!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ian,

I suspect Wentworth meant put a hole bang in the middle of the quilt that can be velcro'd shut. Then you can wear it round camp as a warm poncho in the evenings. I've seen it done before on "plain" camp balnkets and quilts (without sidepanels etc).

I'm sure we will be happy with whatever you suggest mate - the foot bucket does sound handy although for me, I'm less certain I need the side panels since my hammock comes way up to the sides anyway and I cant think the quilt would fall out

Red

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
wanderinstar said:
OK OK Forget the hood. I was just going on something Wentworth said.

What I meant was that i have used extra long quilts. You drape it over your head, and just leave your nose sticking out one side (assuming you sleep on your side!). It simply involves having a longer quilt.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

swagman

Nomad
Aug 14, 2006
Tasmania
What about doing what macpac have done on one of there range of bags.

They have filling on the top and just a pertex sleve on the bottom for a thermarest to slide into would this not then get rid of the need for
an under blancket?.

Just an idea Rob.

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
Hi Rob,
unfortunately the pad would leave you with a sweaty back and would leave your shoulders uninsulated in the hammock. Also, the idea of the quilt is that it is not only lighter, but easier to get into when using a hammock than a sleepingbag.

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
dommyracer said:
If it was going to be a strictly 'hammock only' quilt, then I would say there is little need for a bottom layer. However I think that by adding one it would mean the bag could also be a top bag thats used on the floor.

This would certainly make it more attractive to me, (and I suspect others)

Have to wait and see what the prototype looks like but given the description it sounds like it should fulfill all the needs fro a hammock quilt.

Ive already started thinking of how to modify it for use as a topbag with kipmat and actually the presented design with personalised mods ( below ) now strikes me as better than trying to make them into one unit.

Make a sleeve for you favourite kipmat, using the materials that you prefer for top and bottom. Make some buttonholes in the quilt flaps, either add buttons to the underside of your homemade kipmat sleeve or tie some weak elastic to the opposing buttonholes which will run under the kipmat.

Advantages being it fits you own kipmat exactly, using your prefered materials and you can ditch the extra weight of the sleeve when you know you won't use it.

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
swagman said:
What about doing what macpac have done on one of there range of bags.

They have filling on the top and just a pertex sleve on the bottom for a thermarest to slide into would this not then get rid of the need for
an under blancket?.

Just an idea Rob.

Really brilliant idea!
I'm going to make one like that this week for sure ehe. Or can I buy such a sleeping bag somewhere, I haven't found such a type on macpac's website.
Very nice (I'm just talking to myself as everyone already got it ;) ) as you could easily sleep on the ground or in the hammock, no sliding off of the mat, no unneeded underside of sleeping bag to carry..
I know some people just put in the sleeping mat in the sleeping bag but I don't like to lie on it directly.

I'm a bit wary of getting too much kit that is specifically for use with a hammock. Like to have it a bit more versatile.
Though I'm sure the underblanket is most comfortable, it's great :)
And I guess this quilt will be great too.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
wanderinstar said:
Do you ever get the feeling you are wasting your time?
Yup!

I always try to get input into a new design Ian same as you do but sometimes I wonder if it wouldn't be better to just post up the finished article and say "who wants one of these"?

It can be frustrating running Group Buys (and I've only done three so far) but I do enjoy getting people a good and unusual product at a competitive price. I wonder if John is immune to the frustrations yet?

Ah well - another group buy on the Red Hunters axe, prototyping on the double bit and a surprise new Group Buy to come in the summer (not Cegga or FW either). I guess I must enjoy it really!

Red

swagman

Nomad
Aug 14, 2006
Tasmania
Hi gunnix

The Macpac bags were from there right is light series the one i remember was
called a Neve 400g or 950g.

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
I think the point is that people using underblankets have realised that they sleep comfortably with their sleeping bags over them in quilt mode. Therefore the logical step is to make a narrower (and therefore lighter) quilt for hammock use.
If you are using the underblanket, you do not need a mat in your sleepingbag. You also do not need another layer of useless nylon under you. You have two layers of nylon with the underblanket, as well as the nylon body of the hammock.

The criticism of the macpac (and similar) bags was that drafts were felt, where the insulated part of the sleepingbag met the sleeve for the mat. The neve had a down filled baffle installed to combat this, but this added more weight.
With quilts, if you get a draft, you tuck the quilt in. It's that simple. If you get a draft in a top-bag like the neve, you're buggered.

The other point is ease of use. With a sleepingbag (or top bag) you would have to get into it, zip it up and then position yourself in the hammock. If it were a top bag, you would have to ensure that the insulated side of it did not rotate round during the night. With a quilt, you put it ontop of you while lying in a hammock.

I think there are already quite a number of top bags on the market for those who wish to sleep on the ground (macpac, Rab, gossamer gear etc.)

The quilt that Ian has designed will be lighter than carrying a sleepingbag and more compact. It is also specifically designed for hammock use.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
wanderinstar said:
I think he must be Red. Will have to wait until Summer then.
Thank you Wentworth.

I do not consult on design I just say what is available and ask who wants one ;)

There are a few things that really get me riled though but generally I just let them pass. since this is not my thread I can air one here without looking like I am getting at anyone.

Anytime someone starts a post with "I have not read the whole thread but" it drives me crazy. If they cannot put the commitment in to reading the thread why should I bother going out my way to give them the answer than spoon feed them along the way to getting a group buy product.

Of course I have to say the gratitude and attitude of members in general far out weight this small and infrequent niggle.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE