Quilt for Group Buy Underblanket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
I have heard of a few people who are using their sleeping bags as quilts. I have been wondering if there would be a demand for a quilt made by Snugpak to same spec as blanket.
Obviously it will need to be lighter than a sleeping bag, to make it worthwhile. The fixing method I had thought of was to fix loops underneath to correspond with loops on blanket. These could be connected together with lightweight mini crabs. I had thought a 6" overlap down sides of blanket

Any thoughts?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Oh yes!

I'm not even fussed about fixings as I'll just curl up under it in the hammock with it over me. I sooo need a packable quilt. I'm in for at least 2 (price depending of course).

I'm even willing to pay for a prototype and do reports since I'll be doing some extended trips this summer and its just what I need!

Red

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
British Red said:
I sooo need a packable quilt.
Red

The Nomad tropical quilt works well for me just drapped over.
http://new.nomadtravel.co.uk/catalog/browse/sleeping/travelproof-deluxe-tropical-quilt
If I get cold I double it over bringing it fully in the hammock.

Very usefull bit of kit, can be used as a proper poncho liner with head hole, quilt, warm weather sleeping bag ( could also zip 2 together too if you needed ) colder weather sleeping bag outer ( adds about 5 degrees temp range )

Though I'd still be interested in a snugpack overquilt ( price dependent )

Gailainne

Life Member
Interesting thought, the thing is it would HAVE to pack smaller and be lighter than a comparible sack to be worthwhile, I was already thinking of (if I take the hammock to Sweden) to not bother with a sack, and just take a silk liner, a quilt would work just as well, probably better. LIke I said interesting...I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Regards

Stephen

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
I do not think you would want it attached to the underblanket as that would lift it off of you and the air space would allow the cold. I use my sleeping bag as a blanket but leave the bottom bit zipped so my feet can stay in there to stop the cover slipping up and getting them cold.

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
So you tuck the sleeping bag round you in the hammock?
The reason I thought for the loops would be to stop quilt falling of you if you turned over in your sleep. So am I right in thinking that some sort of foot pouch, for want of a better name, would be all that is necessary. Obviously it wouldn't need to be as wide as blanket.
This is what I am after, ideas. So that when I have a sample made up it will be spot on.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Work for me Ian! I would be happy with a plain quilt to be honest, although a small foot pouch wouldn't hurt if it didn't add much to cost

Red

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
Yes Red, but that would mean double the size and weight. You might as well just use your sleeping bag as a quilt. As some folk do. The idea of this is to save weight and volume.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yeah good point all okay - I'll go back and play axes :eek:

Okay size of a single quilt then ;)

Still happy to test it out though (and pay for a prototype)

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE