Quick Tutorial - Make a stove from drink cans

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I have been using these home made "Trangia" style burners for a while now. I found these instructions on the web and they are really easy to follow, with a cutting size list done for you.

http://www.pcthiker.com/pages/gear/pepsistove.shtml

IMHO they are almost as good as the real thing but a lot lighter. I use mine with an old pan set from a camping gaz stove, with a foil windbreak and tent pegs supporting the pan! You can see them on the right of the picture below.
Trangia.jpg

Simon

i did everythingby the book, and it won't light
officially cheesed off!

Cur a tuna can or similer doun to give a shallow Dish say 3-4mm lip
stand the stove in the middle

put 20ml in the stove

put 4-5ml in the tuna can like a moat

light the tuna can fuel

i found the can bottom seals with th eliquid and the expanding gas makes the stove Skitter anout a small dent in teh bottom to releaser the air stops it moving

i found it takes a burn or 2 for teh stove to settle in and it lights easier
maybe needs to burn off residue etc

ATB

Duncan

Oct 17, 2007
Sheffield
I've never actually tried this, but I'm intrigued by these can stoves....I've just got to decide which one to make first!
I saw this a while ago, and it look amazing. It uses a penny to get a very high pressured stove. "Independent testing document that it heats faster, uses less fuel, simmers longer, and packs lighter than any commercial stove." The only problem is that this requires Heinekan cans. maybe it can be made with other cans, though?
http://www.csun.edu/~mjurey/penny.html#

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
Yeah, they are the funny shape Heiniken cans. I've seen the site but not tried to make his version, but I do like the idea of the simmer ring though.

I think that basically once you have the general concept in the brain box you can adapt and improvise to suit. I personally don't think it matters a great deal if it takes 8.5 minutes or 9.25 minutes to boil your pint of water..........others would probably disagree, but thats what makes the world go around.

My own best results have come from using an aerosol can top and bottom, soldering them together, drilling 12 .5mm burner holes around the top and 6 central .5mm fill holes. The thing throws a huge flame but it needs constant heat from a candle as otherwise the metal does not warm enough to turn the meths into vapour. I'm still playing with a couple of mods to it though.

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
Try this for you first stove. soda can cut bottom off up 2 in. then from bottom up 1 in. put12 holes around can 1/4 size close to that size then from top1 /2 in down put holes in between the bottom holes. Pour in 1/2 oz. alcohol light let burn a little then lower pot on slow. if it dont fire up . Do this a can cover under stove put a very little alcohol on cover put pot on stove lite prime it go then but one must work with his stove to learn the ins outs have fun

Geuf

Nomad
May 29, 2006
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
I tried making both the 'a great video tutorial on how to create a small stove' and this one: http://www.pcthiker.com/pages/gear/pepsistove.shtml but both have the same problem: the metal takes ages to heat up to so that the fuel isn't primed properly. does anybody have any suggestions? it does do something. and I do get it lit. the only problem is that the fuel stays cold, so that the flames don't really get big enough. does anybody know what solves this problem?

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
Geuf, one of my ideas for my aerosol version is to use some thick copper wire for heat transfer.

Push the wire down through a centre hole into the fibreglass. The wire that sticks up, bend it so that the end will be in a flame. My thinking is that the heat from the flame will warm the wire and the heat will transfer down and vapourise the meths more quickly.

Greetz

I've never actually tried this, but I'm intrigued by these can stoves....I've just got to decide which one to make first!
I saw this a while ago, and it look amazing. It uses a penny to get a very high pressured stove. "Independent testing document that it heats faster, uses less fuel, simmers longer, and packs lighter than any commercial stove." The only problem is that this requires Heinekan cans. maybe it can be made with other cans, though?
http://www.csun.edu/~mjurey/penny.html#

im trying that one next

however its hard work drinking Heinekan :eek:
and the UK cans arnt the same as the US ones having an exrea embossed oval on htem so you need to seal with JB weld apparntly
they are definatly thicker metal than the normalo cans though

my mk 3 stove uses the above idea but has a 2pence as a fill hole seal
works fine with a few ml in the tuna can as a pre heat 5-6ml and you get 6-9" jets for a bit :eek: :yikes: but a short burn time

not to worried about fast boil times but fuel effecency and these are definatly better than a Trangia Burner

ATB

Duncan

stove1.jpg

yep my goes at teh stove

Mk 1 left is 2 off red bull size Cans with the std lots of holes round
Mk 2 center is 2 off normal Cans with 6 holes straight up in teh top of the ridge 4 holes inside pointing inwards and 2 at 3&9 O'clock pointing out trying to better heat the oval btm of teh crusader mug

Mk 3 Right on Tuna can pre heat base and crusader wire stand: 4 holes in teh top pinting up ( there were 6 but i pinched the other 2 closed) and 4 in the side angled out for teh mug shape plus 2 pence on top of 4 filler holes. this sove i cut to be much thinner than most ive seen the Mk2 being the normal hight

they all have a bit of loft insulation inside as a wick

none as i said worked well in the crusader cooker and much better using the tuna base above even with no wind shield etc

ATB

Duncan

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
they all have a bit of loft insulation inside as a wick

none as i said worked well in the crusader cooker and much better using the tuna base above even with no wind shield etc

I have a hunch that if you used the loft insulation, in a very thin layer to line the Crusader Cup well, then droped in the stove, it'll prime faster as it should seal it off from the large heat sink.

Toast Toppers cans make good bottoms for Red Bull sized stoves as they have a flat profile raised slightly on a lip, though are tougher ( steel?) and take longer to cut down.

the picture represents my total exp of these stoves :D you can see the little one is a bit stained etc where the blood has dryed off when you slip with a sharp beer can edge.
I have no idea if the 2p is better than a US 1p ( i believe the US 1p is lighter than a UK one as well) i do probably have a couple of US coins about some where

yes i expect you can insulate the stove ive tryed it on matches to raise it the other problem with the crusader stove is that you dont have the head room above the stove for itto burn properly which is the main reason the Mk3 is cut shorter but even with a new arm folded to raise the cup level with the top of the cooker it could do with a bit more
also the cup i nthe crusader cooker is only just bigget than teh cans and being deep need s wick to get the fuel up and out to burn for prime course you can put fuel outside this as well :D

ATB

Duncan

Oct 17, 2007
Sheffield
I meant a 2p vs nothing, not vs a us coin. :p
I'm currently waiting for the epoxy to dry on the PCThiker pepsi stove i'm making! I'll inform you all how it goes in a bit!

lol havent really noticed as i havent fired up 2 similer ones togehter etc
teh original Peny Stove had a 1/4" hole as a filler so the penny would be needed to seal it. the newer version has 4 pin holes so i recon its probably less important :D
ive now got a stop watch but havent brought my self to sit out in the cold and time stuff accuratly :eek:
some sites seem to quote a starting water temp of 50 deg F (10deg C) but i dont know if this is a standard (sorry engineer so experiments have to have variables nailed down :lmao: )
as i said earlier all my stuff was crusader cup 300ml water No lid and no wind shield etc outside in a courtyard and normally it was dark so fairly cold air temp and fuel

Duncan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE