Quick Tutorial - Make a stove from drink cans

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hello,

I just came across a great video tutorial on how to create a small stove from a couple of cans - I am sure there are many tutorials on BCUK, but the accompanying video made it very clear for me. Looks like making this will take about 5 minutes at most.

I have written out the instructions below for those who can't see the video or as a useful set for printing out.

You need the following tools and materials:

1 pair of pliers
2 beer cans clear of any dents or bumps on the bottoms
1 sheet of fine sandpaper - about 400 grit
1 razor utility blade
1 thumb tack
1 coat hanger
1 small handful of fiberglass insulation
1 ounce of naptha gas
1 hardback book

To begin, wrap the sandpaper around one of the unopened cans and rotate it in your hand to remove the paint. Now, open the can and pour out the contents and drink it.

Now, insert the utility blade halfway into the pages of a book which is laying down on a workspace, so that the blade is horizontal, about an inch off the ground.

Using the book as a jig, press the can against the blade and rotate the can, thus cutting off the bottom inch depth of the empty can.

Using the sandpaper, smooth the rough edges of the can bottom.

Now, insert the second full can into the cut section so that this expands in diameter slightly, by slipping the lip of the cut section over the can. Now that the bottom section has expanded slightly, remove it from the second full can and lightly pack it with fiberglass insulation, using just enough to fill it.

Make the top of the stove the same way, except do not expand the diameter of the section, as in the previous step.

Before assembling the 2 pieces, use the thumbtack to poke 5 closely spaced small holes in the top of the center dimple of the top section - this is the filling region into which you will need to pour the naptha gas.

Now, carefully insert the top half into the bottom half so as to make an enclosure. If you are having problems getting it to fit, utilize a small section of cut aluminum from a discarded section of can to make a shim in order to lever the sections together.

Once you have it lined up, squeeze the 2 sections together as tightly as you can so that they fit together.

Now, using the thumbtack, poke about 16 to 20 evenly space holes all around the outer section of the rim, about 3 millimeters from the walls of the assembly. These are the jets from which the flames will emerge.

You will want to cut and bend the coathanger in order to make a pot stand which will allow you to place a pot or cup over the stove. You could use a pot hanger, but a stand is probably best.

Now, pour a couple of capfuls worth of naptha through the pour-holes to fill the reservoir. It helps to pre-heat the tin in order to vapourise the fuel. Use a match briefly to heat the underside.

Now, place a flame above the fuel-jets and your stove should light.

Cheers,

Mungo

Geuf

Nomad
May 29, 2006
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
I tried and it works. the device doesn't burn as by the book as the one in the tutorial does though. and I have to pr-heat it for a pretty long time. but a fun project anyways.

cheers!

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
Although i usually end up destroying the stove by trying to get the two bits together i have found that the blade for cutting the cans up doesn't need to be sharp. Don't try and force it and use the blade to cut straight away, just turn the can round and round lots of time maintaing an even pressure, eventially the can will just seperate with no hastle. i used to use the point of an emerson cqc7 and found that quite effective.

best

steve

just made one
used the supermarkets own brand Red Bull cans 26p each so its a smaller stove

used a blade and rotteed it against the can to give a mark then used scissors to cut to teh score line it was easier cutting the wrong way ie Left handed ( wrong cos im right handed )

knicked a bit of Fiberglass out of the loft

word of warning if you use the shim of the can to fit it dont slip its sharp :yikes:

16 holes with a drawing pin by eye and four in the middle for filling well not middle the 2 domes are nearly touching so i went out a bit

was a pain to light im using teh Industral Meths but needed a few ml in a warming dish to get it going took a fair while im using it in a crusader cooker

however a couple of runs and if i put more than 25ml ie 30ml in it over flows the fill holes
this can be lit as a std meths pot and will pre heat the burner again not fast .

must be lacking ventalation as it burns better if the cup isnt on and really needs the cup raised to the top of the cooker rim with a couple of tent pegs etc

I dunno if its any better than just filling the cooker pot with meths and burning but a fun project

ATB

Duncan

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
The fiber glass wick on that type stove that he showed must not go pass the burn holes keep it a little below.

oks on MK3 now (wifes going bats :rolleyes: :D )

full size 330ml cans

im trying to make it good for a crusader cup so ive poked the 8 jet holes to match the oval shape as apposed to the std round and fairly thin

all take a while to fire up when placed in the crusader cooker thought it was just my badly made cookers
however on a hunch (dunno where from i know less than nothing bout these cookers)
i put the burners on the bottom of a tuna dish and made a wire stand for the crusader and a couple of mls get the jets up n running in 15-30secs :D the crusader cooker seems to be acting as a massive heat sink i guess the new stand i bent to clip over the cup when inverted for stowing

boils up the cup of 300ml water fine on 30ml of fuel havent run proper times yet but im testing outside with No windsheild No Cup cover and its dark so everything is cold

AATB

Duncan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE