Quick snowy overnighter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
Well it finally snowed here, still only a few inches but it was enough so I quickly packed up and made off to my usual spot. Here's a few pics...

On the way up
1.jpg

my tarp set up
2.jpg

4.jpg

my remarkably lack-lustre evening meal
3.jpg

Spot of snow overnight
5.jpg

view from camp in the morning
7.jpg

an experimental breakfast that turned out to be very tasty...
6.jpg

eggy beans :)
8.jpg

Was a good night except for having to get up for a pee just as I'd got cosy in my sleeping bag.
Was a cold night with loads of moonlight. could walk around the camp easily without a torch, was a bit chilly in my sleeper until I realised that the hood was loose and letting lots of cold air in and was toasty as soon as I cinched it up.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nice one R3xxy

I'm itching to get out for a night or two but don't have a free weekend until mid Jan.

Not sure about that breaky mate :)

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
Nice one R3xxy

I'm itching to get out for a night or two but don't have a free weekend until mid Jan.

Not sure about that breaky mate :)

nice one R3xxy!,..eggy beans?....erm,..ha ha

were up at brockwell 8-9th jan Rich

Last edited:

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
It might look like it's already been digested once before but it was really tasty :D

Last edited:

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Nice to see someone managed to get out away from the crowds this time of year! I'm sure a fair few of us are trapped between reams of wrapping, Christmas shopping or the inevitable 'Work Christmas Party'. Good work; it looks like a lovely peaceful little spot you've got there. But I'm not sure of your catering R3XXY!

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Nice post, has inspired me to get out this week in the local area,had a trip to Knoydart planned with my brother but he's still stuck in Plymouth due to snow and round here alot of roads are blocked as i found to my cost today. I can guarantee i wont be eating eggy beans though.

Rups

Forager
Aug 27, 2010
London
Awesome. Good work mate. Made me very jealous! Unfortunately visiting the out-laws so no chance for me to get out! Love your work.

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
UK Military arctic bag but I want to get a Rab Andes 800. Will get one next winter after a year of employemt :)

Last edited:

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Eggy Beans...been eating them for years...first started when I was a kid, out of laziness. Get the beans hot, crack in an egg and stir...effectively scrammbled egg with beans...quick and easy...tasty too...

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Lol @ the Eggy beans! if i didn't think beans were vile i'd prolly give it a try.

Was the ground tarp necessary do you reckon? i'm planning a snow overnighter and i'm wondering myself whether to take a groundsheet or just throw the bivi down into the snow.

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
I use the ground tarp so I've got a bit of extra space for my feet when taking off or putting on my boots, to protect bottom of my sleep mat from being torn and so I don't get my hands or other parts of me wet and mucky while climbing in and out of my sleeping bag, just nice to have that little bit of extra dry space.

Also MVP fabric isn't as waterproof as it claims to be, I believe it's the micro-pile that helps to make it splash proof by making the water bead into droplets and run off, but water can soak through if it gets trapped against the surface for a long time as the fabric is porous.

Last edited:

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
yeah, i reckon i'll take a ground sheet then, mil com basha should do it folded up :D tbh i bought it ages ago and realised it was way to heavy to generally carry around so since its been used for allsorts of crazy jobs.
still has a use eh?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE