Questions with first hammock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bailout

Jul 17, 2008
devon
I just bought my first hammock. It is a Tenth Wonder Ultralight

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tenth-Wonder-Ultralight-Compact-Camping-Hammock-Green-/370497668643

I chose it mainly due to the weight but also the low cost as it is just a trial at this stage. The hammock is just single layer with a gathered end by tape through a channel.

I have just set it up on a garden hammock stand and I am surprised at how slack the sides are. You can see this on the pics on the ebay link but it didn't register at the time. I assume it must be the same same with all similar hammocks though.

If I lie straight my feet fall either side of the taut centre. I tried lying at an angle as I have seen recommended and it was reasonably flat. However, instead of being cocooned as I expected I could see the possibility of rolling in my sleep and falling out of the side which I have never seen mentioned and thought was probably impossible.

Tried my 3/4 pad in it and if anything it felt a bit more unstable somehow. Started with the hammock horizontal before I got in.

Will have to experiment a bit more but not sure if this will suit me at the moment. I was thinking of trying to sleep in it tonight but I am a bit worried about falling out of it now. Has anyone fallen out of their hammock in the night?

Is the slack sides normal or is it the way I have hung it?

thanks

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Don't worry about floppy sides mate, they don't affect necessarily affect the comfort. My most comfortable hammock has sides like beagles ears. If you worry about falling out, just hang it lower til you get some confidence in it.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
The first time I tried a pad in my DD, I left too much air in it. I got in, zipped up the bug net and flipped over-face pressed into the bug net.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
my mate al falls out of his hammock but only after a good drink lol i still giggle like a little girl when i think about it regards dave

W

wilder

the slack would seem normal considering its not an asymetrical hammock and dosent have a structures ridgeline built in i would expect

don't worry about falling out as you only need the hammock base to be about a foot off the floor when in it, many people have them up 3 foot or more bit imo with my dd hammock and my warbonnet blackbird low works good and too high is pointless. Made an underblanket this end as mats do my head in with the shifting about and pack size

think you'd struggle to buy the mats to make that hammock for the £10 you paid so looks a good bargain

bailout

Jul 17, 2008
devon
Thanks for the replies. I lowered the hammock so it was as low as I could set it without touching the frame and slept in it last night. I didn't fall out although I know I moved around a fair bit in it. When I woke the mat was sticking out the side and I was curled up in the middle of the hammock. I started on my side as this was the closest to my normal front sleeping that I could get. I probably shouldn't say so on here but I think I would probably have been more comfortable on the ground and I certainly think I would have been cold with the mat moving if I had been outside.

I may try finding somewhere to try it outside for a night as I am sure it will be a better experience than inside. I haven't got a proper tarp as I don't want to spend too much money if I decide it isn't for me but I do have a plastic builders type tarp that should do for one night as long as it isn't windy.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Mats are a pain in hammocks unless they go in-between the layers of a double layer hammock, even then they are not ideal. Don't give up on it just yet, the first few nights are never as good as when you are used to it.

With your single layer hammock, the only really satisfactory way to keep warm outside is a dedicated hammock underquilt. Mats will always move around. UQ's aren't cheap to buy, but quite straightforward to mackle one together out of a sleeping bag.
Double layer hammocks will take mats much better, which isnt much help to you I know.

One fix that a few have used is putting a few spots of silicone sealant on the mat and leaving to cure. It makes the mat stick to the bottom of the hammock so it doesn't move as much-maybe worth a try and you won't lose anything but a few blobs of silicone and a couple of minutes.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE