Questions About Steel...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Keith_Beef said:
I asked, because I'm going to start making a few blades out of D2 and ATS34, and I reckon that the easiest way to start is to copy the tang/heel/kick geometry of worn out or broken blades. If ever you decide you want a replacement blade, drop me a line. But don't be in a hurry, because the steel I have right now is too thick (at 3mm and 4.5mm); I'll have to re-order.

There was also a thread about replacing the red scales with wood. Very nice.

Keith.
Wow,thats worth bearing in mind.Thanks Keith. Wood instead of plastic sounds great and decent steel on a SAK :shock: They must be a bu***r to take apart and put back together tho'

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
bushwacker bob said:
Wow,thats worth bearing in mind.Thanks Keith. Wood instead of plastic sounds great and decent steel on a SAK :shock: They must be a bu***r to take apart and put back together tho'

Well, the scales are apparently not so difficult to get off a Victorinox, but once taken off cannot be put back on without glue. replacement scales are relatively inexpensive, and I think are a simple push fit. Can't say about Wengers. This is not something I've tried, but there are threads on here or on BB about it.

For example, here.

Multiblades can be difficult to reassemble. Of course, the more blade and springs there are, the more fiddly it is to get everything back together.

I did one for my father in law. It had been in his tool basket for about thirty years, and was well rusted.

The scales, some sort of resin impregnated card, had swelled, warped and buckled.

I took it apart. Easy. The scales more or less crumbled, then I drilled out the rivets, cleaned up all the parts (two blades, saw, can opener, corkscrew, awl, whatever, plus springs and scales), retempered and reground the main blade, and reassembled. I drilled out the main pivot to 2.8mm and used a piece of drill rod (probably M2 steel) for a pin.

Cow horn scales glued on with epoxy to finish it. And a nice little black leather pouch with a tagua nut toggle.

I need to get it back off him to check the scales, maybe rub them down again and take some photos.

Keith.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
leon-1 said:
Andy, there is a very good thread here that has opinions and qualities of steel types, I found it quite informative when I was looking for a new knife and deciding what I required in the steel department :wink:

That was one of the first threads (if not the first) I read on BB

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
leon-1 said:
Andy, there is a very good thread here that has opinions and qualities of steel types, I found it quite informative when I was looking for a new knife and deciding what I required in the steel department :wink:
Thanks leon! And the General of course! :D

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Even supposedly good steels aren't worth squat if they have a poor heat treat.

As for D2 being better than 440C, I think that's a debatable issue. :sword:

440, 420, and AUS-6 are ok knife steels if properly heat treated but it also depends on the application. I think there are a lot better steels out there. You can get a Benchmade Griptilian in 440C for instance, and I would take AUS-8A over AUS-6 any day but that's not to say that AUS-6 won't do a lot of cutting for you and last you for years. A lot of CRKT knives are made of AUS-6.

I own a gerbor gator and it's not my favorite knife but over the years I've heard people rave again and again about their gerber gator so there's a lot of folks out there with real world experience with gerber gators that is pretty positive. Pricewise, it's probably a good deal. Also pricewise, I think CRKT has some of the best deals out there in folders. You might also consider the Dozier/Kabar line of folders. Very nice and lightweight with D2 steel.

My number one recommendation for an outdoor folder at a moderate price, though, is a Benchmade Griptilian or mini Griptilian. Well worth the xtra money over the cheaper folders, imo.

B

Bex

There are several Spyderco knives available in VG10 steel and at very reasonable prices. They are not a lot more than the Gerbers, but I would say a better investment.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Hoodoo said:
My number one recommendation for an outdoor folder at a moderate price, though, is a Benchmade Griptilian or mini Griptilian. Well worth the xtra money over the cheaper folders, imo.

Couldn't agree more. Good pedigree, decent steel (440C), seems to be a good heat treat, nice grind, square/sharp spine, fantastic AXIS lock, lightweight, comfortable, no blade play, adjustable and stripable, ...and relatively cheap.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Martyn said:
Ahhh, everyones favourite, S30v - made in volcano's and heat treated by Dragons. Yeah, it is a good steel, probably better than most. But it isn't magic. :wink:

I dunno. I've fallen under it's spell. :shock: :shock: :eek:\\: :smashfrea

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE