Question regarding knife carry

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
Haha. Nope I'm still here...
Just don't know what to say to be honest :lmao:
I now keep my blades in the bag when I cross :)

I think you said it....................

I also think that everyone should remain civil within these threads, everyone is entitled to his/her opinion, it is after all a Forum, ( no doubt from the Roman Forums where Gladiators fought) and if everyone thought the same then there would not be much to say, it would be a lot worse if people didn't discuss matters no matter how trivial they are, I personally have many questions I need the answer to.and look forward to pick info up from these discussions...........................so lets keep them civil and lets keep them rollin...................it don't matter how many times you put forward your view..............as long as you do.

And please lets leave John Wayne out of it, (him who's name should never be taken in vain,) and I don't remember him ever carrying, or using a knife, except in True Grit, when he used it to get the rattle snake venom out of Mattie's arm

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I have no fight with anyone who chooses to carry their blade on belt if they have good reason, just those who thing good reason and unquestionable right are the same thing and think offering that as advice is a good thing. It is not any more that it would be telling an airsofter or modern reenactor that travelling to sight carrying a replica pistol slung on their belt is.

Anyway I'm done with this do what you want just please don't start any I've been nicked what should I do threads.

Janne on the other hand can do what he wants I've taken his advice

Ah you were just using the sensible practice of carryong a tool as it was intended to have a dig at janne, gotcha

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I think the intended use of a knife is to cut not how its carried ;)

Janne decided to go against 90% of the posted advice on here just because he likes to stir and then when the thread got cold he started up again.

FoxyRick

Forager
Feb 11, 2007
Rossendale, England
And please lets leave John Wayne out of it, (him who's name should never be taken in vain,) and I don't remember him ever carrying, or using a knife, except in True Grit, when he used it to get the rattle snake venom out of Mattie's arm

I was named after John Wayne by my mother... yes, really. I don't know if my father approved or just didn't get a say.

alamo-knife.png

And just once to say what I think about all of this thread which I have so far avoided posting in...

Putting the knife in the sack is sensible given our society, even though absolutely no law is being broken by carrying on a belt in this situation. And that shows how ridiculous and twisted we have let our society become, in my opinion. I would keep mine on my belt because I refuse to bow to stupidity, but that's me. And I know others will say that's stupid. I would say it's stubborn. That's it. 'nuff said. :D

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
I was named after John Wayne by my mother... yes, really. I don't know if my father approved or just didn't get a say.

Just as well you weren't called Marion ............................or were you?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Loved the movie that pic above is lifted from, The Alamo where he played David Crockett. He didn't actually use a knife in that movie though; that pic is from a scene where he meets Jim Bowie (played by Richard Widmark) and is admiring the knife.

yarrowfarm

Apr 24, 2009
Hampshire
I rarely post, but this thread and an event yesterday push me to.
I was shopping for groceries in Morrison's and in walked 5 reinactment players, Saxons or Viking by the look in full garb. There were two ladies and three guys, each openly carrying knives. The ladies had 4-5 inch belt knives, the gents had shoulder slung seax's with 10-12 inch blades. It was 3pm, the shop was busy and not a single person batted an eyelid beyond an interest in their clothing. I watched and they shopped, paid and walked out to their van with smiles all the way.

So there you have it, dress like a Viking and you'll be fine :)

Last edited:

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I rarely post, but this thread and an event yesterday push me to.
I was shopping for groceries in Morrison's and in walked 5 reinactment players, Saxons or Viking by the look in full garb. There were two ladies and three guys, each openly carrying knives. The ladies had 4-5 inch belt knives, the gents had shoulder slung seax's with 10-12 inch blades. It was 3pm, the shop was busy and not a single person batted an eyelid beyond an interest in their clothing. I watched and they shopped, paid and walked out to their van with smiles all the way.

So there you have, dress like a Viking and you'll be fine :)

Its sad how heartwarming that story is. Still nice to post though

Guzzi Goose

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2011
London
I was shopping for groceries in Morrison's and in walked 5 reinactment players, Saxons or Viking by the look ............

Morrisons are mainly in the Danelaw so probably Vikings..........Saxons like Aldi, must be a Germanic thing

Normans tend to shop in Waitrose, Jutes like Lidl hence why there are so many in Kent especially in the Medway towns.

Last edited:

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Morrisons are mainly in the Danelaw so probably Vikings..........

Normans tend to shop in Waitrose, Jutes like Lidl hence why there are so many in Kent especially the Medway towns.

:notworthy Congratulations, you have won the internet today! :lmao:

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
[/B]

Just realised he used a knife in "The Searchers" when he scalped the Indian Chief Scar

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
Tried reading this thread for the first time. It's kind of hard to follow in places.

Not to fan the flames but my 2p worth.

The best advice would be to keep all tools in a bag until on private property, for me that complies with the spirit and letter of the law.
As I understand it you are allowed to carry knives in public if transporting them to be used on private land (with some restrictions).
This is what I do when driving with my knives and axes to a friends property. I have them sheathed and then packed in a bag in the boot of my car.
My thoughts being they are tools being transported to private property to be used, I don't need them on my belt as I'm not intending to use them until on private property.
In my mind if I was also carrying tools whilst camping on public land (and I believed I had reasonable grounds to carry them) I would also keep them sheathed and in a bag until being used.
I would not openly display any knife in public (although I do keep a small SAK or Kershaw PUB on my keyring and perhaps another proper pocket knife in my pocket) as I don't believe it serves any purpose except perhaps encouraging someone to make a complaint against you (warranted or not).

That all being said and done I think that considering we are talking about a 16 yr old crossing a road between his home and private land, I can't really imagine any problem if he wanted to carry a bushcraft knife on his belt across the road. If I were the OP I wouldn't do it. Also I certainly wouldn't be doing it because I wanted people to see me with a knife on my belt, I'd only do it because I had no need of a bag. For instance if the OP was going ultra minimalist with just his knife, fire kit and possibles pouch etc.

I'm going to assume we are all responsible knife users on the forum and that we wish to be able to continue to enjoy our hobby with as few further restrictions as possible. So I think as members of the community we should always advocate as low profile and safest advice at all times. We do not want young people learning possible bad habits or inadvertantly breaking/spraining any laws. So at all times we should probably err on the side of caution and advise the most accepted and legally responsible way of doing things, even if we might ourselves not always follow our own advice. I realise this may be a little hypocritical, a case of do as we say rather than do as we do, but I still think its the approach we should take as a community.

Therefore all in all although I understand (might even agree with some of) what I read of Jannes and Sunndogs posts, in real life it might be correct up to a point, but on the forums it is poor advice.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I'm going to assume we are all responsible knife users on the forum and that we wish to be able to continue to enjoy our hobby with as few further restrictions as possible. So I think as members of the community we should always advocate as low profile and safest advice at all times. We do not want young people learning possible bad habits or inadvertantly breaking/spraining any laws. So at all times we should probably err on the side of caution and advise the most accepted and legally responsible way of doing things, even if we might ourselves not always follow our own advice. I realise this may be a little hypocritical, a case of do as we say rather than do as we do, but I still think its the approach we should take as a community.

Therefore all in all although I understand (might even agree with some of) what I read of Jannes and Sunndogs posts, in real life it might be correct up to a point, but on the forums it is poor advice.

Your second to last paragragh is completely bottom backwards i'm afraid...when it comes to rights and freedoms if you don't use it, you will lose it. This is a fact beyond contestation

Why do you make a distinction between real life and forums?
If its what i think it is i dont think perpetuating irrational knife fear is the face i want presenting to the wider world

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
In how many did he carry one on his belt though? :D

Not too sure of how many films in which he actually carried a knife,but i assume virtually every cowpoke carried a knife, interestingly though, as he was right handed he wore the knife on his left side,I assume the majority of Cowboys did and obviously take it out with his right hand, I couldn't remember whether the sheath was a right hand or left hand sheath, but would probably think it would be a right hand sheath worn on the left so as the knife was withdrawn the blade would be facing down, and would be less likely to slice into the belly as it was withdrawn across the body. Just a thought

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Not too sure of how many films in which he actually carried a knife,but i assume virtually every cowpoke carried a knife, interestingly though, as he was right handed he wore the knife on his left side,I assume the majority of Cowboys did and obviously take it out with his right hand, I couldn't remember whether the sheath was a right hand or left hand sheath, but would probably think it would be a right hand sheath worn on the left so as the knife was withdrawn the blade would be facing down, and would be less likely to slice into the belly as it was withdrawn across the body. Just a thought

Knife on the left gun on the right?....never gave it a thought but makes sense

I imagine he only made a handful of films without a knife of some sort on his belt

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE